Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
reubenray

Modifications and Warranty

I did ask the dealer about the warranty and will get it in writing prior to getting it done.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

reubenray:
Your warranty will be like everyone elses and can be found in your Keystone Owner's Manual. This warranty is standard and everyone who buys a Keystone product has the same warranty - except for any minor updates or revisions that may happen with time.
So the warranty you get is exactly the same as all other Keystone owners. Your dealer isn't writing you up a personalized warranty. They are all identical. Unless there has been a major change in the warranty, the reference that JRTJH made about doing any modifications to the unit will probably result in your warranty being void.
Here is what is says in my Manual regarding warranty exlusions:

" ......Obligations stated herein shall not apply to damage or loss in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box or frame of the RV including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo."

To me, this means that if you do not get authorization from Keystone to attach, by welding to the frame, a special attachment for carrying bikes or other stuff, then your warranty is void. If you go ahead with your modification without approval in your first year, you are taking a risk that, if something happens to your RV, then you are S.O.L.

I would, as was suggested to you, think about waiting for 1 year and make that mod later. But if can't wait, know the risk you are taking.

As we have just witnessed recently with another member, Keystone rejected the claim for the reason mentioned above. It can and does happen.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
reubenray

I will wait until the one year warranty is up. I have to figure out where to put the bikes until the year is up.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

reubenray:
My previous post to you was not meant to scare you away from proceeding with a modification to make it safer and easier for you to carry your bikes on your RV. It was intended to make you aware that there are some risks involved in making unauthorized modifications to your RV in the first year of warranty. You have to judge for yourself the pros and cons of waiting for a year and finding alternate ways of taking your bikes or go ahead with whatever modification you think would work best for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
reubenray

Will you did and I know you did not mean to. No harm in it - that is why I ask the questions.

I have seen several posts on another forum about bolt in receiver hitches made by Lippert for Lippert frames. I may check into this
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Paddler

Another option to consider is adding a front receiver to your truck. Then you don't have to worry about the trailer frame issues.