Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
truenorth

Re-charge batteries after long winter break

Hi,

what charger would you recommend in order to re-charger the RV batteries after the long winter break? Thanks.
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

To start, how about sharing what camper you have and what type/size battery you have as well as the age of the battery. Most folks make it easy by editing their signature to include the trailer and tow vehichle model and year in their signature so folks trying to help don't have to ask the same questions over and over. It's easy if you go to the top of the page, click on "UserCP", then edit, enter the info then save. Not required but very helpful.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
GHen

Next question, why do you need to recharge your batteries? Are they low or dead, what is the current voltage?

If unhooked in the fall they should still have a good charge. If left hooked up they could have been drained in just a few weeks or less. If they have been dead since fall you could need new batteries.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
Canonman

Most folks in climates like yours will use a Battery Tender type maintainer to keep the batteries charged during the off season or while in storage for long periods of time. I remove my batteries for the winter and store them this way during our 6 months of winter.
Once I'm ready to reinstall the batteries in to the Cougar I use this 25 amp charger:
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BC25B...30719756&psc=1
This charger has a "reconditioning" mode that equalizes the batteries and is not found on most battery chargers. Also, the 25 amps allows a full charge to be restored to the batteries.
As said, if your batteries are completely discharged they may not take a full charge and will need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	33755  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter