Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
SR71 Jet Mech

New TV break in

So I I’m seeing with the new pickups there is a 500 mile break in and then another 500 mile at no more than 50 mph with a fiver hooked up.

Looks like Ford has a 1600 mile break in period.

I hear (or read) that the ECM logs if the 7 way is connected. Not sure how anyone would know if “towing” was actually done? However losing warranty due to improper break break may be an issue??

I was able to negotiate a 7 year 72k factory warranty into the purchase of the new Ram and would hate to lose it.

I know back in the day (when I was an auto tech) there were all types of opinions on engine break in procedures. Also being in the sprint car and some drag racing, our break in was only to pour in hot water, start and run long enough to set timing and warm engine...then beat it.

As an engine builder I have done this religiously and then drive the vehicle lik it will be driven from day one. Never had an issue and always warranted MY work for years.

Now it seems this warranty is more for the drive train and do plan on putting at least 500 miles on it before towing. Hopefully more but I’m wondering what others have done? Any warranty issues? Etc.

The weather is still not conducive for camping however it will be soon. I’m not looking to circumvent the process of break in but am curious as to others “break in” process on their new TV’s.

Thanks, Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

With Ford, and I'd suppose with the other big truck makers, it's more about the rear differential, bearings and transmission than it is a "break in regimen" for the engine. I think (if I recall correctly) RAM even stated in the owner's manual that the diesel engine does not require any special break in regimen, but the truck does and then they go on to explain what to do and how to do it.

As sophisticated as vehicle computer monitoring is these days, I'd be surprised if "they" weren't able to tell you not only the mileage, but also the temperature, the weight of the trailer tongue (remember, it's just a bluetooth monitor that plugs into the OBD II port that Curt sells as a "receiver weight scale") On my "antique 2015 F250" the "truck app" monitors trailer mileage, sets the brake controller gain and can differentiate between any of 4 trailers that I have set up in the system. I don't see why the CPU wouldn't also monitor that "if" it's being displayed on the dash screen. It's just a matter of whether Ford (or RAM) is saving the data that's displayed in various places on the screens.

Between your digital clock/calendar, speedometer, transmission shift indicator, turbo boost gauge, odometer, thermometer, brake controller, the "anti-sway gyroscopes" and the 7 pin connector, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't also capable of telling whether you turned on the "butt warmer" or even what color underwear you had on while towing.....

So, yeah, wouldn't take much for them to know whether you were towing, how heavy the trailer was and how many G's you pulled in curves as well as speed and what gear the transmission was in while you "cheated by towing at 499 miles, one mile too soon.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With Ford, and I'd suppose with the other big truck makers, it's more about the rear differential, bearings and transmission than it is a "break in regimen" for the engine. I think (if I recall correctly) RAM even stated in the owner's manual that the diesel engine does not require any special break in regimen, but the truck does and then they go on to explain what to do and how to do it.

As sophisticated as vehicle computer monitoring is these days, I'd be surprised if "they" weren't able to tell you not only the mileage, but also the temperature, the weight of the trailer tongue (remember, it's just a bluetooth monitor that plugs into the OBD II port that Curt sells as a "receiver weight scale") On my "antique 2015 F250" the "truck app" monitors trailer mileage, sets the brake controller gain and can differentiate between any of 4 trailers that I have set up in the system. I don't see why the CPU wouldn't also monitor that "if" it's being displayed on the dash screen. It's just a matter of whether Ford (or RAM) is saving the data that's displayed in various places on the screens.

Between your digital clock/calendar, speedometer, transmission shift indicator, turbo boost gauge, odometer, thermometer, brake controller, the "anti-sway gyroscopes" and the 7 pin connector, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't also capable of telling whether you turned on the "butt warmer" or even what color underwear you had on while towing.....

So, yeah, wouldn't take much for them to know whether you were towing, how heavy the trailer was and how many G's you pulled in curves as well as speed and what gear the transmission was in while you "cheated by towing at 499 miles, one mile too soon.....
Thanks John, I hadn't thought about all that stuff. I forget these new pickups have so much more sophisticated tech. ECM, BCM and anti lock brakes all talking to each other and leaving footprints...

I wasn't really planning on circumventing the break in, and I do know that at least a 500 mile is required before towing (which I will do). I've just heard there may be some other requirements and was wondering what (if anything) anyone else was doing? Or maybe being told by their dealers that may differ dealer to dealer regardless of the manual. I worked at 2 different Chevy dealerships in the 80's and DID NOT like their scruples.

I don't take possession of the truck until this Friday (5th)and am trying to get an Idea before. I will discuss it in depth with them when I take delivery AND read the manual.

Way too much money to screw it up and this may be our "forever" truck.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Scott

Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Scott if it were me I would sure have that talk with the selling dealer to see how THEY interpret the warranty, what you might want to do etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Scott if it were me I would sure have that talk with the selling dealer to see how THEY interpret the warranty, what you might want to do etc.
For sure!! Thanks Danny

Scott

Old 03-01-2021, 12:46 AM   #6
Northofu1

The break in period for my 2019 Sierra 6.0 litre according to the owners manual is 800 km. before towing.
I made sure to put 1000 km on it. before hooking up.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #7
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
The break in period for my 2019 Sierra 6.0 litre according to the owners manual is 800 km. before towing.
I made sure to put 1000 km on it. before hooking up.
Thanks Dan, I plan on trying to the same as far as putting more than the 500 on before I tow as well. May even try 1k before.

Scott

Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #8
SR71 Jet Mech

Thumbs up

When I had the engine rebuilt in my ‘05, that guy required a 500 mile oil change and then a 1k oil change prior to any towing or synthetic oil. Seemed like I could never get to that 1k as I was in a hurry for a trip we had planned. It’s still a little cool here and sloppy out but it’s getting close.

Just going to have to drive it religiously for awhile. May just drive it to Denver and back.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
So I I’m seeing with the new pickups there is a 500 mile break in and then another 500 mile at no more than 50 mph with a fiver hooked up.

Looks like Ford has a 1600 mile break in period.

I hear (or read) that the ECM logs if the 7 way is connected. Not sure how anyone would know if “towing” was actually done? However losing warranty due to improper break break may be an issue??

I was able to negotiate a 7 year 72k factory warranty into the purchase of the new Ram and would hate to lose it.

I know back in the day (when I was an auto tech) there were all types of opinions on engine break in procedures. Also being in the sprint car and some drag racing, our break in was only to pour in hot water, start and run long enough to set timing and warm engine...then beat it.

As an engine builder I have done this religiously and then drive the vehicle lik it will be driven from day one. Never had an issue and always warranted MY work for years.

Now it seems this warranty is more for the drive train and do plan on putting at least 500 miles on it before towing. Hopefully more but I’m wondering what others have done? Any warranty issues? Etc.

The weather is still not conducive for camping however it will be soon. I’m not looking to circumvent the process of break in but am curious as to others “break in” process on their new TV’s.

Thanks, Scott
I waited the 500 miles...it’s hard to do if you have more then one vehicle..felt like it took forever. When you go into the trip odometer,it shows where you have trailer miles separately..
Old 03-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
gearhead

Are you buying a Cummins diesel or a gas engine? If a Cummins I would do the recommended break in for the drivetrain and then Cummins wants to put the engine under a load. Supposedly breaks in better and gets better fuel mileage sooner.
As far as synthetic oil, I have had no issue switching to synthetic ASAP. Synthetic is factory fill for many cars. I think RAM has an agreement with Shell and recommends a wide range synthetic for at least the 6.4 gasser. That probably goes back through the RAM/FIAT marriage as Shell has a long history with Ferrari.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #11
jasin1

I wonder how much it matters other then the original 500 miles....what if you bought a used ram diesel with 12000 miles on it and it never towed anything. You wouldn’t still tow the 500 miles at 50 miles an hour..
Old 03-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I wonder how much it matters other then the original 500 miles....what if you bought a used ram diesel with 12000 miles on it and it never towed anything. You wouldn’t still tow the 500 miles at 50 miles an hour..
By then the gears would be worn in and no need for a "break in" any further I would think.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Scott,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can download a copy of the Owner's Manual and all the supplemental manuals on the RAM website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-garag...t-vehicle.html

Just designate which brand, model and download the manual. I keep a "digital copy" on my laptop, on my Kindle as well as the "paper copy in the glove compartment"...

All of the information on what process and time/distance requirements is in the manual. You can read it all before you even go to pick up the truck, so if there's any questions, you can have them "written down and ready to ask" before you get there....

Enjoy reading.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #14
dutchmensport

When I got my new Chevy (in my signature block below), I did not know about the 500 miles break-in. I towed starting at about 75 miles. It wasn't until I had about 1000 miles on the truck, I finally stumbled into the information about the 500 mile break in. I though... oh crap! I'm screwed.

Well, I will say, the first time I added DEF was right at 250 miles. I thought WTH! Actually, the warning came on when we were on our way to a campground on a Friday night in the middle of no-where-land. I paniced. I found a GM dealership that was just about ready to close, and they sold a jug of DEF and showed me how and were to put it in. Save my grasshopper!

But still, I'm thinking ... sheesh! Do I have to add DEF every 250 miles?

The guy told me, it was probably empty from the factory and my selling dealership did not fill it. I was hoping he was right.

Looking back ... I wonder if it was because of the 500 mile break-in? I'll never know.

Funny though, the distance between DEF fill-up got longer and longer. Now, it's almost 5000 miles between fill ups at 75,000 miles on the truck. And it seems the distance is still increasing.

Did my early towing a trailer have anything to do with that? I'll never know, but it seems the early towing did not hurt anything at all.

However, if you are aware of the factory recommendation for the break-in, then do it! You've got nothing to loose.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #15
Northofu1

My Break in was easy, packed a small bag and we went to Gananoque, Ont for a weekend. Came back and was ready to hook up.

GMC / Chev has a smartphone app to use on the truck for, maintenance, locking / unlocking, starting, finding, and owners manual. jus sayin.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #16
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Yeah that seems odd. Just something I heard. Be a lotta sloooww towing. However see John’s post above....

I’m gonna start reading!

Thanks, Scott

Old 03-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
I waited the 500 miles...it’s hard to do if you have more then one vehicle..felt like it took forever. When you go into the trip odometer,it shows where you have trailer miles separately..
And I was waiting for YOU to chime in as I know you JUST bought one also.

Thanks! Scott

Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Scott,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can download a copy of the Owner's Manual and all the supplemental manuals on the RAM website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-garag...t-vehicle.html

Just designate which brand, model and download the manual. I keep a "digital copy" on my laptop, on my Kindle as well as the "paper copy in the glove compartment"...

All of the information on what process and time/distance requirements is in the manual. You can read it all before you even go to pick up the truck, so if there's any questions, you can have them "written down and ready to ask" before you get there....

Enjoy reading.....
I was not! Thank you! I am reading shortly!

Scott

Old 03-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
Yeah that seems odd. Just something I heard. Be a lotta sloooww towing. However see John’s post above....

I’m gonna start reading!

Thanks, Scott
Yeah it definitely says that about the 50 miles an hour....I took it easy on my first leg of the trip to Florida ....your gonna love how the drw feels towing..it’s night an day difference from my 2012 2500
Old 03-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #20
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Are you buying a Cummins diesel or a gas engine? If a Cummins I would do the recommended break in for the drivetrain and then Cummins wants to put the engine under a load. Supposedly breaks in better and gets better fuel mileage sooner.
As far as synthetic oil, I have had no issue switching to synthetic ASAP. Synthetic is factory fill for many cars. I think RAM has an agreement with Shell and recommends a wide range synthetic for at least the 6.4 gasser. That probably goes back through the RAM/FIAT marriage as Shell has a long history with Ferrari.
Yep diesel, it’s already in my signature. I’m sure these come with synthetic.

Back in the day when I was still “building” engines, it was taboo to break in newly rebuilt engines with synthetic. “Too slick” they said, wouldn’t seat the rings properly. And other reasons. The last 6 new cars we’ve purchased have all come with synthetic and I know they all start that way as I’m sure these new pickups do as well.

I asked at the local dealership when I got my 2005 back with its newly rebuilt 5.9l engine and they said they used Castrol full syn.
5w-40. However the engine builder was adamant about not using syn. Oil for the first thousand. It took 20k miles for that thing st really start getting decent mileage with an average of all around 15-16.

Anyway thanks for the input!! Greatly appreciated.

Scott