Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
lawnwynch

Is it ok to shower with RV antifreeze in your water?

Ok I know... I am asking for a friend. But for real, my friend is boondocking at a jobsite out of town and it's pretty cold. I asked him what he was planning on doing about his inline water hoses freezing and suggested pool noodles as I had seen others doing. He showed me the bottle of biodegradable antifreeze and said he was going to put it in his tank and take showers with it..... Suppose to be safe for aquatic life and he wasn't going to drink it, just shower. I laughed and told him I would be able to see him glowing in the dark before long. So what do you think?
lawnwynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwynch View Post
Ok I know... I am asking for a friend. But for real, my friend is boondocking at a jobsite out of town and it's pretty cold. I asked him what he was planning on doing about his inline water hoses freezing and suggested pool noodles as I had seen others doing. He showed me the bottle of biodegradable antifreeze and said he was going to put it in his tank and take showers with it..... Suppose to be safe for aquatic life and he wasn't going to drink it, just shower. I laughed and told him I would be able to see him glowing in the dark before long. So what do you think?
Welcome to the forum. I think your "friend" is an idiot. You can drink Coca Cola, orange juice, and beer but I sure wouldn't want to take a shower in it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree. Just because it’s ok for aquatic life, doesn’t mean it’s good for human contact/ showering. I would tell him to read the entire label as there might be a warning about extended exposure, and I darn sure wouldn’t spray my “personal” stuff. JMHO, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
travelin texans

Ar weather say $2+/- a gallon for the anti freeze times 1 shower daily that's going to be expensive showers. He'd be better off to go to a truck stop & pay for a shower.
Not to mention if he's adding it to the fw tank with water it's likely so diluted to won't prevent freezing, unless he's adding drums full at time.
Being safe for aquatic life means if you get a bit in a body of water it won't hurt them, it doesn't mean they can swim in it......
HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Uh, that "safe for aquatic life" is if you spill, or the rain carries some run off to the body of water. One gallon in millions of gallons is obviously different that using it "straight up", like drinking it out of the jug.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

At the risk of sounding redundant...."uh, what??" There are ways to keep things from freezing but showering in anti freeze is.....well, may be the dumbest thing I've heard this year (maybe - no offense to your friend).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Folks, have any one of you ever tried showering in RV antifreeze? Bet NOT. I hear it makes your skin soft and the hair on your bald head grow back. Is the $2 a gallon price too much for these amazing benefits? Can you believe someone seriously proposed this?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I'm going to have to get you folks out west to send me some of that $2/gal. antifreeze. I haven't seen it that low around here for years.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwynch View Post
... So what do you think?
I think you should tell him it's really a bad idea. After he showers, he'll have a weird stink on him and after a while his skin may be irritated. And if he doesn't listen, well .... I think you should then just sit back and let him try it! Sometimes, some people are just so bull headed, they will never take advise, even from the Almighty himself. Let him do it then and sit back and snicker when he blows his top!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
notanlines

After reading a little more about our (Marshall, here you go) Walmart $2.69/gal product, I have made a decision for your bud. Nope, negatory, big guy. Avoid the shower!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Ever had a colonoscopy ???? Remember that concoction you had to drink??? That's essentially the same "active ingredient that's in RV antifreeze. (propylene glycol).

Here's the "first aid recommendations from the package insert (MSDS):
http://midsouthsales.com/wp-content/...1/SDSAF222.pdf

INHALATION: No adverse effects are expected, however, if irritation or other symptoms develop, remove to fresh air. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.
SKIN CONTACT: Remove contaminated clothing and wash skin with soap and water. Seek medical attention if irritation develops.
EYE CONTACT: Immediately flush with water, holding open eyelids, for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.
INGESTION: If large amounts are swallowed, seek medical attention. Never give anything by mouth to or induce vomiting in an unconscious or drowsy person.
MOST IMPORTANT SYMPTOMS: May cause eye irritation. Ingestion of large amounts may cause acidosis and central nervous system effects.

If he's "stoopid enough" to actually do it, gets some in his eyes or in his nose he's going to have "issues far beyond needing a shower to wash it off".....

Short recommendation: TIE HIM UP BEFORE HE TRIES IT.... He'll be angry, but at least he won't be in the ER seeking treatment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

"holding open eyelids, for 15 minutes"

OK, try holding your eyelids open for 15 seconds. It induces a blink reflex big time! Guess RV antifreeze isn't ideal for eye wash?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
ketch69

dilute the rv antifreeze first it wont hurt to take a shower .I flush my rv first with fresh water
ketch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch69 View Post
dilute the rv antifreeze first it wont hurt to take a shower .I flush my rv first with fresh water
Excellent advice ?????? Hmmmm dilute with what? How much of the diluent to how much antifreeze? Flushing an RV water system to remove antifreeze is NOT the same thing as pouring antifreeze into the system to use as "water for a shower"....

Given the "context of the OP's question" I'd say your recommendation is "way offbase" and even in the realm of "bad advice".....

NO, don't dilute RV antifreeze for your shower, doing that will still going to require a trip to an opthalmologist if you get it in your eyes and/or a trip to the ER if you don't get it all rinsed off your skin.... Question becomes, "How do you rinse it off after your shower if you don't have clear "undiluted water" for that final rinse?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #15
ChuckS

Naw.. showering with RV anti freeze is.. .. not bright at all

http://chemicalspec.com/Winter_Care_...Antifreeze.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Sarge2

I'm just amazed that this question would even come up... kind of like eating Tide Pods....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #17
Customer1

Propylene glycol is used as a sweetener in many food items, coffee flavorings for one, but showering in it would leave one a bit sticky.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
Gegrad

So the EPA screening level for propylene glycol is 400,000 ug/L, or 400 mg/L or .4 g/L. One page 9 of the screening level. These are based on a lifetime cancer risk of 10-6, even though PG is a non carcinogen.
https://semspub.epa.gov/work/HQ/400431.pdf

That is the screening number that is safe to drink.

"Propylene glycol is essentially non-irritating to the skin. Undiluted propylene glycol is minimally irritating to the eye, producing slight transient conjunctivitis; the eye recovers after the exposure is removed. A 2018 human volunteer study found that 10 male and female subjects undergoing 4 hours exposures to concentrations of up to 442 mg/m3 and 30 minutes exposures to concentrations of up to 871 mg/m3 in combination with moderate exercise did not show pulmonary function deficits, or signs of ocular irritation, with only slight symptoms of respiratory irritation reported. Inhalation of propylene glycol vapors appears to present no significant hazard in ordinary applications. to the lack of chronic inhalation data, it is recommended that propylene glycol not be used in inhalation applications such as theatrical productions, or antifreeze solutions for emergency eye wash stations. Recently, propylene glycol (commonly alongside glycerol) has been included as a carrier for nicotine and other additives in e-cigarette liquids, the use of which presents a novel form of exposure. The potential hazards of chronic inhalation of propylene glycol or the latter substance as a whole are as-yet unknown."

All in all, while not the greatest thing to shower in, a few showers here and there probably aren't going to do much to the skin. I would think it would probably dry your skin out though.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:52 AM   #19
spicercars

Hard to believe that somebody would actually ask a question like this. LOL
Old 12-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch69 View Post
Diluting the anti freeze to shower with defeats the whole purpose of using it to begin with. The OP is not trying to rinse the fw tank they're adding anti freeze trying to keep it from freezing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water