Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Whip

Microwave venting

The microwave on my 2019 330RL Montana HC is not vented ouside. I know the microwave vent fan can be tured to have it vent outside. Has anyone done this? I know I will have to cut a hole in the side wall and am concerned about what might be there besides fiberglass and insulation. There must be a reason they didn't make the hole in the first place. Save money? Never heard of such a dumb thing in a camper.
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Pull Toy

I have never heard of a Microwave being vented.

If you are talking about the Range Hood being vented outside, some are set up from the factory. If you search prior posts for Range Hoods, you will find several entries on venting options.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
Roscommon48

have no idea why you would want to vent your microwave to the outside...more problems for you down the road.

most microwaves i've ever had, even in home, don't vent outside.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

While the microwave is located over the range hood which is of course over the range, the microwave doesn’t vent anywhere, only the hood. My previous trailers had a vent to the outside, but that was on an exterior wall opposite the awning side. There is not enough flow from the fan to move much air so I think it became obsolete.. I never had any issues, but I can see where a hole in the side of your camper might be another potential source of water intrusion/damage. Even before we had an outside kitchen, we never cooked in the camper, so a vent was never an issue for us.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Even in a residential over the stove microwave it is the base (range hood) that is vented and that is even optional. They can be set to vent back into the room after being drawn through a filter. I have never seen just a microwave that vents to the outside.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Hey Hank, did you fix the title? I was wondering how long it would be before someone asked what the microwave VENDED and how much it cost.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never seen a "vented microwave"...

Most "over the range microwave ovens" that are used in home (S&B) kitchens are a "combination appliance". There is a microwave oven AND a range hood built into a single cabinet. The Cougar line is, in some models, using a convection/microwave oven that has a "built in range hood" combined in that cabinet. It looks like a S&B convection/microwave/vent hood, but is not the same size and isn't a "standard sized item" such as all 30" ranges or all 24" dishwashers. I haven't seen any in an RV that are vented to the outside. I suppose it is possible to modify the trailer so the range hood part of that appliance does vent outside.

The microwave oven is a "high failure appliance" and usually, in an RV application, only lasts 5-10 years. The problem that hasn't been addressed is this: When it comes time to replace the microwave, will you be able to find one that has the vent opening in the same spot? If not, you're going to have a hole in the side of your RV with no means to find a replacement microwave oven/range hood to fit the space.

Unfortunately, in the "RV world" many parts "become obsolete while the trailer is still serviceable"...

I'd be cautious about cutting holes for a "specialty microwave" that, if it fails, will be "near impossible to replace" At least without the hole, you can modify the inside cupboard area to make something else work, but with the hole..... not so easy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'll just join with the rest; never seen a microwave that was vented to the outside.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Tiffen uses a microwave that has the filters and exhaust fan in the bottom like a house and are vented outside the coach. Grand designs uses combo microwave/Convection ovens that have the filter and exhaust fan in the bottom but vent out the front of the unit at the top back into the cabin. I have replaced the oven in the motorhome and you have the option to vent it out the back or the front.

OP: I wouldn't take the chance of causing more issues by trying to cut the slolt in the side of the trailer for the vent.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
GeekSquadOfUn

I have a Cougar 315RLS with the same microwave. (My friend has a Montana 330RL)

It's known as an OTR (Over the Range Microwave) with a built-in fan. Said fan is not vented outside. Instead is regurgitates the grease, back in the RV after a run-through a charcoal filter.

It would have been nice. But heck, not much you can do, except cut a hole and install a vent cover with flap...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Hey Hank, did you fix the title? I was wondering how long it would be before someone asked what the microwave VENDED and how much it cost.
I think I did that one. I hate microwaves you have to drop a quarter into.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
Whip

I was wrong, it is the hood vent. This micro/vent is a standard 30" like a house with option to vent inside or out. Vent is in the middle also like most standard house hood vents and can be either inside, back (through ouside wall), or up through roof. I don't like all the smell, grease etc. Back in the camper since filters don't do that good of a job. I see the concern about putting a hole in the side of my camper and replacing micro in the future. That you all for your help! I might have to rethink this one. My previous two campers all vented outside.
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Archergodwin

My Fuzion had the take-the-range-smoke-and-route-it-back-over-your-head-into-the-living-area microwave fan arrangement as well. Stupid as heck. I bought a 30" range hood and installed it with external vent. A nice profiled smooth one. It moves stinky air to the outside great! I need to get the pics transferred off my phone and onto my laptop. Was a pretty easy install actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_051152.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	24118   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_084911.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	24119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_094609.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	24120  
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Neither my house nor the beach house has a range hood vented outside. But the Keystone TT does. I do not remember ever having smells or grease coming out at me in the homes and I use those a lot. I have cleaned the screens and even thou they look cheap they have grease in them I wash out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #15
greyhair

Our microwave doesn't need ventilation. It has a window like with grills there just so the motor would breathe a little. No need for vents.
greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #16
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
My Fuzion had the take-the-range-smoke-and-route-it-back-over-your-head-into-the-living-area microwave fan arrangement as well. Stupid as heck. I bought a 30" range hood and installed it with external vent. A nice profiled smooth one. It moves stinky air to the outside great! I need to get the pics transferred off my phone and onto my laptop. Was a pretty easy install actually.
That is a great idea, for those who actually cook inside, boiling water doesn't make that much of a mess �� getting odors and grease out is good, that charcoal filter lets a lot through...

Did you buy the Keystone outside vent?
Old 10-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #17
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
That is a great idea, for those who actually cook inside, boiling water doesn't make that much of a mess �� getting odors and grease out is good, that charcoal filter lets a lot though...

Did you buy the Keystone outside vent?
No. I had seen some of the newer trailers with a nice smooth outside vent, and researched those to find out who made them, then looked on the internet till I found one.
EDIT: I don't know why these are loading sideways... grrr...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_143605.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	24121  
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #18
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
No. I had seen some of the newer trailers with a nice smooth outside vent, and researched those to find out who made them, then looked on the internet till I found one.
Ah yes, it is the same as the new Keystones I've seen. Mine needs to be black. Many thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I think the orientation of the embedded pics are landscape (wider dimension goes horizontal) and not portrait (wider dimension goes vertical. The software does not "recognize" the top of the pictures content to "re-orient" the picture.
When taking pics to post try holding your phone "sideways" which will be a landscape orientation.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the orientation of the embedded pics are landscape (wider dimension goes horizontal) and not portrait (wider dimension goes vertical. The software does not "recognize" the top of the pictures content to "re-orient" the picture.
When taking pics to post try holding your phone "sideways" which will be a landscape orientation.
I found that if I crop the pic to a square size, it uploads in the correct orientation
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote