Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
eds451

EzFlex mod problem

The DW did not want to take the 5er out this Labor day weekend so I thought it would be a great time to install the EZFlex suspension. Supported the trailer, removed the wheels and old equalizer and spring bushings. The bushings showed some wear and ovalling, but not too bad for a low mileage 2007. Went to press in the new bronze bushings and they are way too small. Small being about 1/8 inch too small. I read somewhere that another owner had the same problem. I will have to search for it again. In the meantime, the 5er sits on jacks until Tuesday when Dexter opens and I can call and get larger bushings.
I knew it was going too easy!!!
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Sorry to hear that. Getting it jacked up and everything supported was the hard part. The install should have been easy with the right bushings. Let us know how you make out and what Dexter's answer is, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
eds451

bushing answer

Found the info about spring eye differences. If you have a Lippert axle the bushing eye is about .75 in diameter. Went to the Lippert site and low and behold..bronze bushings for wet bolt applications. Ordered 8 and expect delivery in a week or so. Installer beware and be prepared. Don't know of a simple method to determine which springs you have until you disassemble the shackle. I can post pics of the Dexter and Lippert bushing differences if anyone wishes.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
JerJan10

I want to install the Dexter EZ flex on our 2011 Copper Canyon 273FWRET, so I am very interested in your pictures and installation experience. Thanks for the post! JT
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
eds451

pics of ezflex so far

The trailer is only 4 years old, but the nuts were rusted. Soaked with penetrating spray and used an air impact tool to remove the nuts.
First pic shows the axles with the equalizer and shackles removed.
Last 2 show the original plastic bushing and the Dexter bronze.
You can see the size dif. (Sorry about the focus)

Didn't the 2011 Keystones start using the equaflex suspension? I know the 012 units have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0166.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0167.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0168.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	618  
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
bennydog

I sure hope your experience with the upgrade is way better that mine was.
I just completed it about noon today on our 27RSK. Good new is that the kit had all the correct parts. All of my issues were with the trailer itself. The curb side was the easier of the two. It came apart fairly easy but was not a slam dunk to re assemble. There was so much weird torque on all the parts that I actually had to separate the axle from the leaf springs and install the wet bolt with the grease fittings on the inside so we could actually align all the parts. The street side was a nightmare for me and my helper. Of the 7 bolts that need to be removed 4 would not budge!!! No amount of impact tools or swearing or application of WD 40 or Deep Creep (which is now my favorite) would release 2 of the nuts which we wound up cutting open. Found that on both sides to ease with the alignment releasing the u bolts helped but it turned out that one of them had been installed with the nut cross threaded so we had to make a second trip to the auto parts store. Mine is done and I do not know how many issues I caused for myself but it was not done in 4 hours. If you have not read LAdams post on the Rv.net forum I would encourage you to do so as it has lots of picture. Have a helper and patience. Pay attention to where the hole in the wet bolt is pointed...it should be on the horizontal plane to facilitate grease flow.
Anyone want to purchase the press tool that LAdams mentioned? I will not need mine again

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I'm surprised ... they may be plastic but they are actually bushings. Mine were just thin plastic sleeves and very worn after only 5000 mi.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=Flex
In this thread you can see the difference and mine is an '07 also. Did you purchase as a kit or get the wet bolts separate.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
eds451

I found that rv.net article and printed it out. I used it more than the Dexter single sheet directions. I almost bought a press tool form HF, but I have an 8 inch clamp that will work. Maybe you could rent yours out to other trailer owners?
I purchased the whole kit directly from Dexter. The bolts are the same size as the Lippert bolts.
Hank, I see we both have 07 units. Guess it depends on the flavor of the month as to which parts they are using. No rhyme or reason other than one was cheaper at that time. I too plan to place the grease fittings on the inside so I do not have to remove the wheels. HOWEVER, the holes at the ends of each spring bracket are stepped and can only go in one way. I will have to either remove the wheels to get at those or put in 90 degree grease fittings.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds451 View Post
I found that rv.net article and printed it out. I used it more than the Dexter single sheet directions. I almost bought a press tool form HF, but I have an 8 inch clamp that will work. Maybe you could rent yours out to other trailer owners?
I purchased the whole kit directly from Dexter. The bolts are the same size as the Lippert bolts.
Hank, I see we both have 07 units. Guess it depends on the flavor of the month as to which parts they are using. No rhyme or reason other than one was cheaper at that time. I too plan to place the grease fittings on the inside so I do not have to remove the wheels. HOWEVER, the holes at the ends of each spring bracket are stepped and can only go in one way. I will have to either remove the wheels to get at those or put in 90 degree grease fittings.
I think that this is the article that's being reffered to; http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Dexter%2...stallation.pdf If not here's another look!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
JerJan10

To eds451: Response to your "Didn't the 2011 Keystones start using the equaflex suspension? I know the 012 units have them." question.

Our 2011 Copper Canyon 273FWRET has the iron equalizers, TruRyde TREQ356. The unit was manufactured in late January 2011 so they probably hadn't started using the equaflex suspension at that point. Who knows???
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
eds451

Received the bronze bushings from Lippert yesterday. Guess what,.. yep same as the ones from Dexter. I did not pay close attention to the size when I ordered them.
I spoke to Duane at Dexter just now and explained that I have springs with eyes that are 7/8 in diameter, not 9/16. He said he spoke to a man in Washington state who has the same springs and he was going to use the nylon ones that fit. Duane was not aware of any bronze that fit the 7/8 eyes. The only bronze solution was to have some bushings machined.
We have a spring shop here in town. I will be calling them later to see if they have some bronze bushings that will fit. I do have a machinist friend who can turn some if I buy the stock (about $60 at McMaster-Carr). Will keep everyone posted.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
JerJan10

E Z Flex Installed!

I installed the Dexter EZ flex on our 2011 Copper Canyon 273FWRET today, no problems. Thanks very much for the pictures,installation experiences and the link to the RV.NET article, all were very helpful. Now looking forward to taking the RV for a test trip!.

Thanks again for the helpful posts! JT
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
eds451

Glad to be of help. Now if I could just finish up my mod. Went to the local spring shop today to buy replacement nylon bushings and the guy asked.."do you want bronze?"
I couldn't say YES fast enough. He had to order and they will be in tomorrow am.
Should have gone there first. The internet is great, but facetime cannot be beat in most cases.

Central Calif.
2007 Cougar 244rls
Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
LittleJoe

the 2011 SRX has the morRyde rubber suspension piece in center of front/rear springs. The pins are not wet however.

I installed the dexter kit on our previous SunnyBrook TT and it was an excellent kit and really saved the trailer.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
campingcpl

We installed the kit on our trailer earlier this year and we have Al-KO axles on our trailer. The bushings were not a press fit but more like a slip fit. So far we have't had any issues with it and the improved ride was well worth the 2 day install. We did one side at a time and I learned from my mistakes and the other side went faster. Taking everything apart was easy, it was just putting it back together where I ran into problems. I had a hard time getting the bolts to line up. After using a couple of jacks a pry bar to get eveything lined up I realized what the problem was. I realized I had a little bit of a bind on the axles. We live on a cul-de-sac and our drive is to step to get the trailer backed into it. So when I brought the trailer home I just pulled it up in front of the house and didn't even think of the axles being in a bind when I turned into the cal-de-sac. So after we finished the one side I pulled the trailer forward and backed it into the neighbors drive and straightened out the trailer taking the bind off the axles and everything on the other side went together just as fast and as easy as it came appart.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
eds451

Finished up the EZFlex install today. The brass bushings I found had grease channels cut inside for more grease. Had to press 3 of the 8 into the springs. The rest slid right in.
Tightened everything and greased them up. While the tires were off I took them down to the tire shop for balancing. Found 2 that were ready to come apart. Replacing those. Also found the gussets welded on the frame above the spring and EQ perches were cracked. Re-welded those.
With all said and done, she's ready to take out again.
Thanks to all who helped.

Central Calif.
2007 Cougar 244rls
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Even with all the problems you had I think you will find it worth while and you may not have spotted the bad welds otherwise. Glad everything worked out OK, Hank
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
JerJan10

Dexter E Z Flex Works!

We just did a 1500 mile trip from Georgia to Colorado with the new E Z Flex equalizers installed and they sure do help the "jiggle" and bumping of the trailer.
I don't have a "giggle meter" so I can't be really objective, but they really help the ride. Certainly well worth the cost and installation effort.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
eds451

Giggle meter??? Sure, we all have giggle meters, our ever expanding guts!!

Central Calif.
2007 Cougar 244rls