Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
tschott

White Knuckle Sway

OK, so I'm new.... We purchased a 2019 Cougar 29BHS in November. Looked for a truck and was pushed toward a 2015 F150 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost with the towing package...
So, for power the truck is fine and has more than enough power and from what we have done with numbers should be over what we need for towing capacity and load capacity.
I knew I wanted a good Weight Distribution System so I went with a Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW model number... EQ37120ET
We set it up the way the book said and went for a drive. The evening was calm and it seemed fine till I went past a farm place near the road and then the camper started to sway just from a light wind sheltering us from the farm place...
Took it over the weekend to a local campsite about 20 miles away and was not liking driving over 55 miles an hour. It didn't feel safe meeting anything on the road and I defiantly didn't feel safe over 57Mph.
I have dropped the bars one notch to put more weight on the back of the truck, it's better but, that is not how these things are supposed to work.,,,, or are they. (I still didn't feel safe over 57Mph)
any advise?
tschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
linux3

OK, let me be the first to say:
Your GVW of the trailer is ~8800 lbs. Figure 15% tongue weight is 880 lbs = 10120 lbs plus hitch and passengers and all the stuff in the back. What does the yellow tag say your truck can carry?

A very good rule of thumb is a 1/2 ton truck is good for ~5000 lbs. Anything more and you should look at a 2500HD or in the Ford world an F250.
Tow package. Max tow package or just tow package?
You have this very large sail being pulled by a truck that just maybe is good enough.
I have 30k miles pulling my TT and I would never do what you are doing with your truck.
Stick close to home or buy more truck.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
jsb5717

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good, experienced, knowledgable advice here. linux3 just gave you your first dose of sound advice. I'm really sorry that you were pushed into a truck that isn't up to the task. You've got yourself a nice trailer and I'm sure you are looking for creating a lot of great memories in your new adventure...join the club. You're in good company.

But you want to be and feel safe on your way. That's just not likely to happen in the truck you have. It's simply outmatched by your trailer.

If your new trailer is the right trailer for your family there's really only one solution and that's more of a truck that will take care of you. A 3/4 ton at minimum will feel very different towing down the highway.

I'm glad you found this forum. I'm sorry the news isn't great. But I hope you are able to use the info to safely enjoy your new adventures.

Good luck and be safe!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
travelin texans

Unfortunately the majority of us have fallen victim to the same sales hype you fell in, rv &/or truck salesmen that don't have a clue about what can be towed with what as long as they sell it. Or advertising bs of a all powerful boosted 1/2 pickup or a 1/2 ton towable rv. Yes that truck is probably capable of towing 10k trailer, just not one that has the aerodynamics of a giant brick. If that rv is 5-6k lbs it might be safely towed by a 1/2 ton pickup, but in reality "1/2 ton towables" are in some cases right at the limit of some 3/4 tons.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Steveo57

I've got a 2018 F150 and a 2018 22RBS with a GVWR of 7200#. This past summer it weighed in at about 6500# loaded and the tongue weight is pushing 1000#. It's right on the edge of being too much for my truck in my opinion. I have seriously considered moving up to a F250 to make things a little more enjoyable. I've had 3 trailers and I would agree that 5-6000# and 24-26' max length is a realistic number for a half ton truck.

You need to find out what your tongue weight is to make sure you've got enough weight on the tongue.

Some people have tried other things with some success such as, higher pressure in the truck tires, better shocks on the truck, going to LT tires on the truck, better tires on trailer. YMMV
Old 06-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Eastham

Linux3
Where did the 10120 figure come from. I am sure I am missing something. He hasn't given the gvw of the tow vec.or the tow vec pay load yet.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
K_N_L

I suspect the biggest issue is that with a 34 foot trailer and the big sail area, regardless of the weights and power, is that the suspension and tires are too soft for the task. I found a huge difference between 3/4 ton gas and diesel trucks in towing stability which I attributed to the extra truck weight. The eco-boost motor is a beast, but the rest of the truck is more setup for town comfort. If you’re in check on your weights, as noted tires, shocks and ( I know they don’t increase carrying capacity) air shocks might be a option. ( Until you go for a 1 ton diesel- skip the 3/4 ton step)

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Snoking

This might have a lot to do with your issue. 34.1' long.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
KSH

Make sure your numbers are actually good. Go weigh everything properly. If sway is the issue get a propride hitch. Pricey, but great. I've never used anything else so I can't compare. But it was night and day when I added it.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_L View Post
I suspect the biggest issue is that with a 34 foot trailer and the big sail area, regardless of the weights and power, is that the suspension and tires are too soft for the task. I found a huge difference between 3/4 ton gas and diesel trucks in towing stability which I attributed to the extra truck weight. The eco-boost motor is a beast, but the rest of the truck is more setup for town comfort. If you’re in check on your weights, as noted tires, shocks and ( I know they don’t increase carrying capacity) air shocks might be a option. ( Until you go for a 1 ton diesel- skip the 3/4 ton step)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post

X3 that is a lot of tail wagging the dog.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
goducks

Quote:

Look where the axles are. Almost in the center of the TT. Thats a big no no. No matter how much weight you add to the tongue you'll never achieve optimum towing when the axles on the trailer are too close to the center of the TT.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #12
busterbrown

I will have to agree with what others have said already. The primary insult to your towing setup is the length of that Cougar. We were in the same boat 4 seasons ago. Had a half ton towing the trailer in my signature. Used a Mid grade Blue Ox Pro for the WDH. It only took 1 moderate wind storm to have me look for a viable solution.

It wasn't a bigger truck (at first). My solution came in the form of a Hensley Arrow. It completely eliminates sway, especially with these long tow behinds. Paid a premium for it but it more than lives up to its reputation.

Unfortunately, that extremely heavy hitch put my 1/2 ton over on payload, and the search was on for a more ample towing machine. A shiny new RAM 2500 Megacab was in my driveway by the start of the next season.

Here's the kicker. I tested my Blue Ox hitch with my RAM hooked to my trailer. One trip out and the white knuckles were back. The Hensley went back on when we got home and would never come off again.

Unless you have that very elusive max tow/max payload package on your F150, you may be flirting with (or over) the manufacturer's limits of the truck...a serious no-no. You'll need a correction of tow vehicle choices. Many of us on this forum are in the same "btdt" club.

If however, your truck has plenty of reserves in GVWR, GVCWR, GAWR, payload capacity, and tire ratings, then go check out the Facebook group "Hensley Owners". When I joined last year, I could believe how everyone had the exact same sentiments with that hitch. Have yet to read a negative opinion or someone who who regret the purchase of that massive orange hitch head.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Been there. F150 eco crew with 35’ long travel trailer. I could go as fast as I had the nerves for. The trailer was just flat long. Even with my F350 (2010) or my F250 (2017) it was never a perfect pull. If I even had the tiniest bit of water that was in the far back fresh tank, it was uncontrollable.

I wish I had more positive news, I would look into the hitch mentions above to help.

I tried every height I could with the thing as you can see in the pics. F150 has Bilstein shocks, Hellwig sway bar, E rated tires and air bags. The biggest help was the beefier sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DE3A9F9-5015-49AA-8399-4A6F5CF0F292.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	22102  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:47 AM   #14
slow

This video sums things up well:
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #15
Snoking

I just watched the video, and this guy hits pretty much dead center on the issue.

We towed a 16K 5th wheel with our 2015 RAM 3500 4X4 CC SB SRW for two years back and forth to Arizona, and then parked it for a Summer home in the NW.

We bought a Laredo 225MK travel trailer to commute back and forth to Arizona. Last winter was our first trip with it. It has a 8K GVWR and we had it load pretty close to that. It is 26'11" and 11'2" tall. The RAM handled it fine with a ProSeries hitch. Would I want to tow this with a 150/1500? NO! Chris
Old 06-05-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Logan X

Like many others, I started out with an F-150 ecoboost. After the first year I knew I needed a bigger truck so I bit the bullet and upgraded to an F250 diesel. It tows like a dream and I am very glad I got the bigger truck.

If you are going to upgrade your truck, and as someone else suggested, with a trailer as long as yours, I would skip the 3/4 ton/2500 truck and go with a 1 ton/3500.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Retired Copper

If you had the trailer first they: or who ever, should not have steered you to the half ton. The eco is a strong motor and a half ton does pretty good up to around the 6500lbs mark and under 28 feet. Saying that you see people doing it and you read on forums of folks doing it. I don`t know how they are really liking it but it is not a good match and I don`t see how you can be within the ratings of a half ton with a bunkhouse trailer that size and weight. Unless, you have the F150 with the 7 lug rear axle and 3.73 rear end. Good luck and hope it works out. Happy Camping.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #18
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
If you had the trailer first they: or who ever, should not have steered you to the half ton. The eco is a strong motor and a half ton does pretty good up to around the 6500lbs mark and under 28 feet. Saying that you see people doing it and you read on forums of folks doing it. I don`t know how they are really liking it but it is not a good match and I don`t see how you can be within the ratings of a half ton with a bunkhouse trailer that size and weight. Unless, you have the F150 with the 7 lug rear axle and 3.73 rear end. Good luck and hope it works out. Happy Camping.

It’s interesting you say that, my 08 F150 with the 5.4 and 3:73 gears towed the wildcat much much better than the 15 eco boost. Couldn’t believe that the 15 was billed as superior. Other than sheer power of the 15. The 08 did great
Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #19
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
It’s interesting you say that, my 08 F150 with the 5.4 and 3:73 gears towed the wildcat much much better than the 15 eco boost. Couldn’t believe that the 15 was billed as superior. Other than sheer power of the 15. The 08 did great
Maybe your 08 was heavier than the aluminum body 15 and had stiffer springs?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Maybe your 08 was heavier than the aluminum body 15 and had stiffer springs?
That’s what I chalk it up to. It’s all I can think might be different. The 15 has more goodies on it, which technically should bring the weight back up. I kept the tires/wheels of the 08 and put them on the 15.