Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Dave321

TV opinions

Looking for opinions on my TV and if it is enough for what I am towing,

2000 Silverado 2500 LD ext cab 8' box 4x4 6.0l 4.10 gears it is an LS model with no add ons other than air bags (it carried a truck camper for 15 years and only has 60k miles on it),

The door sticker says 8600 gvwr,4500 gawr front,6000 gawr rear,regi says 6052 lbs,

Towing capacity is 12,200lbs , payload 3,076 lbs.

My 5th wheel is a 2014 Sprinter 304FWRKS, Keystone specs OAL 33'11'',pin weight 1945,shipping weight 8935, CC 3170.

A few things that I know1)the camper weights are dry weight 2)the CC of the camper puts me way over the trucks payload 3)the air bags in the truck do not increase capacity 4) I weighed everything I put in/on the camper (in cluding battery and full propane tanks) = 500lbs

The only thing left to go in the camper is food/beverages and clothes,it is a rear kitchen layout and all of the food weight will go into the rear of the camper., in 2 -3 years when we retire I will be buying a 3500 Silverado probably a dually diesel.Post away!
Dave321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Just doing some basic math with the numbers you posted: You say the truck GVW is 8600 pounds and the "registered weight" is 6052 pounds. Subtracting the truck weight from the "maximum GVW" (8600-6052) leaves a payload of 2548, not 3076 as you posted. To have a payload that high with a GVW of 8600 pounds, the truck weight would have to be 5524 pounds.

So, the numbers don't add up.

Secondly, the truck is 20 years old, the specification for GVW/payload are based on "new truck parts". Your truck, having carried a cabover camper for 15 years will have some (how much? who knows) deterioration of strength in the frame, axle shafts, bearings, brakes, rotors, just to name a few of the "typically not considered "wear parts" but parts that do lose strength with use. Next, add corrosion, known problems with brake lines in GM trucks of that era and you'll find that what you currently have is very likely not to meet the criteria under which the "new truck" was certified.

My point is that when new, those numbers were accurate capacities. 20 years later, not so much.

I'm not saying don't use the rig as you've listed it, rather realize that "loading up to the max capacity, using a 20 year old truck, even if you've done regular maintenance on it and have new tires, you may wind up with more than the truck, at its age, can handle. Maybe you'd be good, maybe you'd be inviting "old parts to fail when pushed to capacity"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

When I look at your situation some things jump out at me;

The age of the truck. The location (NY state). 15 years with a truck camper. The weights.

Age of the truck is about 19 years. I assume in NY and 15 of those with a camper in the back. The truck has been (assumption) exposed to salt and other elements contributing to deterioration of the suspension. Having carried a slide in camper in a truck years ago for only 4 years I suspect the springs have been weakened - mine were and I had installed overloads, coilover shocks etc.

Weights are as John mentioned. You indicate you will have a max of 500 lbs. in the trailer, which I think is far too conservative (I think DW carries that much cookware [I contribute as well]). What about in the truck? The payload of the truck is impacted by the weight of the trailer/pin but also what is in the truck. If you have a 2500lb. payload and a pin over 2k lbs. that doesn't leave much for people, puppies, toys, tools, jacks, bbq pit, blocks etc. AND, that would be based on the assumption everything was in new condition - they won't be.

Bottom line is I would be concerned about the combo. I would also be under the vehicle going over it with a fine tooth comb replacing anything/everything that looked rusted, weathered, cracked, bent etc. Remember that age deteriorates components just like useage - like brakes. Bought a 10 year old truck once that had been used to haul loads for what seemed a reasonable price. After going through it I spent $32k to get it like I wanted it. Some items; springs/Ujoints/shocks/brakes/brake lines/brake cylinders/master cylinder/etc. etc. had deteriorated due to age, use and/or abuse - but I liked the truck. Just some things to think about as you move toward that bigger truck - hopefully sooner rather than later.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Dave321

The truck saw one winter it has almost no rust underneath it ,my brother in law bought it new and i bought it from him 2 years ago,the brake lines have been replaced with all new stainless 3 years ago as one started seeping and it was decided to change all of them to stainless,the truck was also stored in a heated building all year, I put new tires on it 2 months ago as the tires were 10 years old,I weighed everything that went into the camper so far including the propane tanks and battery that is where the 500lbs number came from ,it has air bags on it that were used to level the truck out side to side for the truck camper,I have 5 lbs in the bags and the truck is still up 1" in the rear from being level with the camper on it,The truck weight number is from the registration and who knows how accurate that is,I also changed the shocks to KYB Monomax and it has all new rotors and Ceramic pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck an camper.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	21699  
Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
5J's

Looks like you've already got it hitched up. Load it up and take it to the scales and see what your true loaded weights are. If all that looks good and the truck is in as good condition as you've stated then you should check the suspension and drive line and likely change the seals bushings and bearings. If all is good after weigh, inspection and new bearings etc. Then carry on!

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Dave321

That picture is at the dealer with 5lbs of air in the bags,I had to lower the hitch to the bottom holes as the trailer was up 4" in the front,this truck was maintained by my brother in law that is about as anal about maintenance as anyone I have ever seen,It has had Mobile 1 3000 mile oil changes,mobile 1 gear lube every 10k miles, yearly trans fluid changes The rear end had new seals at 50,000 and the bearings were checked also.I use to tow a 36' Cougar high country 321res TT with it that had 1400lbs tongue weight and weighed 8k dry with no issues. This 5th wheel is 900 lbs heavier dry.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you are in better shape mechanically that I had feared. I would load them both up like you were going to use them and scale them. Then, I think I still would be looking at that new 3500 in the near future - I suspect you will exceed the gvwr and payload.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
notanlines

Dave, it seems you came here looking for acceptance rather than advice. I'm just being blunt. I'll be the third or fourth to tell you to load it up for a trip and visit CAT scales, Henrietta, exit 12, I-390 and then post the results. There is a world of info to be had for $12.00.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote