Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Bill74

WD system with sway help

Hey! I am new to this site/forum. Sorry if this topic has been discussed but I would like some advice on my current problem. I just upgraded from a high wall popup to a new Keystone Cougar 29BHS. Her shipping weigh is right around 7000 lbs. I pull her with a 2017 Nissan Titan. When I purchased the new camper the dealer installed an Eaz Lift 48054 WD system and installed a friction sway bar on one side.

I am new to towing anything this heavy. The HW popup I had was under 4000 lbs. The sway with this new camper is awful. I was thinking that another friction sway bar of the other side would help. I am leaning towards just going with something like a Blue Ox Sway Pro or something similar to that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Bill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum from California! I use the equalizer hitch with 4 point sway control. It works great, I’ve never had a sway issue with my current truck or my previous 1/2 ton truck.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
Retired Copper

x2 on the equalizer 4 pt. with sway control. For the price they work really well.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Bill74

Thanks, Logan X and Retired Cooper, for your quick replies and helpful info. I'm looking into the Equalizer 4 pt WD and sway system. I appreciate it.
Bill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

Welcome to the forums, from the Downunder mob.
As for your hitch: We have the Husky Centerline. According to our hitch dealer, the Husky people copied the Equalizer, but made it better. It has two anti-sway bars and ours is rated for 1200 pounds.

However ... You're going to run foul of the weight police here (and I'm one of them) who are going to say that you have too much trailer, or too little truck.
I just looked up the payload figure for the Titan. The gasser has a payload of 1,600 odd pounds. Even at 10% tongue weight, your hitch load is going to be nearly 1,000 pounds when you put your stuff in the trailer. Add an extra 100 pounds for the hitch itself, then put stuff in the back of the truck, fuel, people etc and you're going to be right on the max payload limits. That's without even considering max axle weights for the truck.
With all that, it's no wonder you have a scary rig to tow.
Your trailer's length is 29 feet, empty weight 7,000 and you're pulling it with a 150 size truck. For a comparison, I am pulling a 27 foot trailer empty weight 5,970 with a 250 size truck. I feel that my truck is only adequate for my trailer. My rig tows well and I put a lot of that down to the hitch.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Bill, welcome to the site! Lots of knowledgeable folks here that want to help.

Lots of things cause sway and "other" problems pulling a larger trailer. An adequate wdh with sway is mandatory. And what you have, IMO, is inadequate in my experience, but, before we go there, let's look at some other areas.

The gvw of the trailer you have is 8800 lbs. Figure tongue weight at gvw would be 1056 lbs. at 12% of gvw. Your truck hitch is rated max for 923 lbs. 4x4/939 4x2. An issue. Max tow for your truck is 9390 4x2/9230 4x4 (this number is meaningless in the scheme of things but it shows that even if nothing else was compromised you are at the very top limits of what your truck can tow).

Some things you need to know and find out; look at the sticker inside the driver door and find the payload, gawr (front/rear) and gvw of your truck - post that. Those will tell you if you have more issues than an inadequate wdh/sway hitch. 8800 lbs. is a huge load for any 1/2 ton (even 7000 can stretch it). Combine that with the fact that the Japanese haven't quite zeroed in on the intricacies of making a top notch towing vehicle and it can present issues (not against "foreign" made [is anything anymore] - they just don't live in the same world we do).

Not trying to rain on your parade and I know you are excited about the new trailer. Just be sure to dot the I's and cross the T's on the weight situation. It can, and will, make all the difference in your towing experience, and more importantly, the safety of you, your family and those on the road.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
mccshoof1975

Bill - I also tow with a 2017 Nissan Titan SL 4x4. I have been towing a 26ft Salem (29 w/ tongue added in) for a while now but just traded it in for a Keystone Outback 26ft. Its 5900 dry, but I like to tow 20% under max on the truck so I kept at 26 range.

I took the old one w/ the Titan all over the place. It was 6400lbs loaded and tongue was around 800 no WDH. I know as I ran it across CAT scales several times. As I like to dial it in for long trips.

The friction sway bar system barely could handle it, so yours being longer and heavier its not adequate. I upgraded to the center line husky and never had issues so I recommend it. But go to the scales and do the math and make adjustments. Cost ya $15 and 30 minutes of your time.

But sadly agree with others you may be pushing it with that length and weight. That Titan Engine can pull it all day, its just the wheelbase is short and you are pushing the tongue weight. Might be XD time.