Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
crk112

Adding a fan to bunk

We've found that the bunks (especially the bottom bunk) get rather warm and stuffy at night and effectively have no air circulation. Pointing the ceiling duct toward the bunks doesn't really get any movement of air directly into the bottom bunk, it just blows across the opening.

This year I'd like to add a small 12v fan near the bunk opening, next to the light and powered from the same wire.
Either mounted to the wall, or perhaps I'll mount a clip to the wall so I can use something like this clip-on 12v fan.

It seems easy enough to add a 12v round socket in that location, which would mean I don't have to modify the fan wiring and it would be easier to swap out fans too.

I tried to do some searching but didn't see much, I'd hoped that I would find more examples of this having been done and if anyone had run into unexpected snags while doing this.

I'll be back with pictures once I get up and moving on this and the other projects I've recently added to my mod-list.

I stumbled across busterbrown's mod threads and added several of those items ... bathroom fixtures, faucets, pegboard in the passthrough storage.
I showed my wife and she wants backsplashes now !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_Keystone_Hideout_242LHS.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	20472  
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
hornet28

My experience with fans like that are they aren't very sturdy and don't hold where they are set very well. They are rather flimsy. Also they or at least the ones I had temp to vibrate
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Fantastic Vent has been a "reliable, go to solution" in quality powered roof vents for years. There are some other "just as reliable" powered vent's, this is not a slam against them, rather a "plug for Fantastic".

Fantastic markets a "powered roof vent fan" in a portable 12 VDC product that's a 12" box fan. It's quiet, reliable, moves a lot of air, plugs into a cigarette lighter plug and is rugged enough for RV use.

If I were you, rather than try to put those $8.88 each cheapies in the bunk area, where they're likely to get damaged by kids climbing in and out, not to mention "poking fingers in the slots to hear the rumble".... Well, you get that idea, I'm sure, I'd buy a Fantastic Breeze fan, set it on a table, aimed at the bunk space opening. It'll be out of the way, powered by 12 VDC so usable, even when dry camping and quiet, reliable and efficient.

Here's one place to get it and a photo of what it looks like.
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ve...gateway&sr=8-2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breeze fan.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	20481  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
crk112

Thanks for the input... a couple of things there that I hadn't considered.

I'll throw this out there, the only reason I picked 12v was for ease of access to a source of power since there's already a 12v light in the bunk. The reality is we normally have shore power (especially with the kids), the only time we boondocked was when the campground electricity went out

I'm probably just making it too complicated.. I'm ok with a tabletop fan nearby as John suggested or even just an oscillating fan on a stand. I'll explore that route first.. quick and easy and gets me quicker to the other mods on the list !!

I appreciate the input guys! It sure is helpful to see things from other (more experienced) angles! Thank you!
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Pull Toy

Welcome,

If you check your local RV Dealers free parts catalogue, you can find light fixtures with a 12 volt plug built in especially for an aux. fan (also available).

The original market was for popup campers, and the fan usually clamped to the strut pole. Should be worth looking at.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote