Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
jmlocklin

Winterize or not

We are planning on using our trailer at least one week a month throughout the winter. The question I have is what should I do to protect the plumbing for the other 3 weeks of the month during the winter. Is draining the water lines enough? Should I use a small electric heater in the camper when the nights are below freezing? I usually keep it plugged into the 110 volts at home so adding a small heater is no problem. Going through the whole winterization process seems like a lot of trouble when it is not going to be stored for the winter. Any suggestions?
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
rhagfo

How often do you see freezing temperatures in Talladega?
We would blow the lines and put pink stuff in the P traps only if the temps were going below 28 if day time was near 50. If daytime was colder then we would blow if getting to 32. If I traveled for work more than four days, I would check the forecast and if at all cold would blow and do the pink.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
Dave W

Even Alabama can get pretty chilly. A day or two when it drops to high twentys then goes into the 40s may not hurt anything. If it goes into the 20s overnight and never gets warm during the day - you may be in trouble. Myself, would probably not but have a couple gallons of pink stuff just in case the weather man predicts cold. If you look at today's weather, you will see that even San Antonio, TX area got measurable snow yesterday while we in Upstate NY haven't seen any this year. Our GD loved the Texas snow
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
spdracr39

Blow it out with air each time you come back from camping and put a shot of pink in the ptraps. you are probably looking at a total of an extra 30 minutes of prep time and don't have to lay awake at night worrying.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Blow it out with air each time you come back from camping and put a shot of pink in the ptraps. you are probably looking at a total of an extra 30 minutes of prep time and don't have to lay awake at night worrying.
That's been my practice for many years...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Blow out the lines. Don't forget any outside faucets or your toilet valve. Don't ask me how I know. Partially drain York HW tank to leave room for expansion. You'll be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
jmlocklin

Update...Since we do not have that many nights with temps in the 20's, I decided to just heat the camper on those nights, at least temporarily. As it turned out last night that was a good decision. 8 inches of snow, and when we lost electricity at the house, we just moved into the camper for the night. Worked out great this time.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
Bisjoe

I winterized in November, since it was the first winter for our new trailer, I wasn’t going to take any chances. I recently put a remote wireless transmitting
thermometer in it, so I can monitor the interior temperature from inside the house. This morning is our coldest so far, 24F outside, and in the trailer it’s 29.
Normally we can get down to about 10F so I’m glad I did the air blowing out the lines and added antifreeze. Apparently the “freezproof insulation” is an exaggeration.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
jmlocklin

Latest update...Decided to blow out the lines and put pink stuff in the traps. Drained the hot water tank and the fresh water tank. In all it only took 20 minutes or less. After the snow melted temps climbed to 60 but expecting mid 20's tonight. Decided to do this so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I had no idea it was so easy.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Bisjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocklin View Post
Latest update...Decided to blow out the lines and put pink stuff in the traps. Drained the hot water tank and the fresh water tank. In all it only took 20 minutes or less. After the snow melted temps climbed to 60 but expecting mid 20's tonight. Decided to do this so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I had no idea it was so easy.
Your water heater must be easier to drain than ours, it took that long just to get the plug out. It’s plastic, and hard to reach, had to remove some metal shields to get vice grips in there. It’s 23 now, 30 inside the trailer, and snow expected in the morning for a white Christmas Eve.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocklin View Post
Sounds like I would do sometimes several times over the winter. We camped at SP that didn’t have FHU so flushing pink stuff out of the water lines was not easy!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
jmlocklin

It was easy to drain. Of course I had to buy a socket wrench set in order to get a socket big enough to fit the plug. I now have lots of sockets that I will never use and spent about $60 for them, just to get the one I needed. Throw in the time I spent going to different stores hunting the sockets...but that's just my luck.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:49 AM   #13
Dave W

For those with a plastic plug, there is a steel replacement available with a petcoock. Just make sure you put some thread sealer on it if you want to get it out easily. Oh and that socket size - it's usually a 15/16" which is not included in most common 3/8" drive sets.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
travelin texans

For those that just need the 15/16" socket you can buy individual sockets at most automotive or hardware stores.
Also if you own a rv at some point you will most likely need/use all those sockets along with lots of other tools.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
oldmanbill

I have a couger 34 foot. If heated inside is it ok to lower 20's? Or should it be winterized? It is a live in situation. Forcast 25 tonight in sunny Alabama
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbill View Post
I have a couger 34 foot. If heated inside is it ok to lower 20's? Or should it be winterized? It is a live in situation. Forcast 25 tonight in sunny Alabama
Fill your fresh water tank for water and disconnect your hose. Valves may be stuck in the morning but will thaw. If stuck, don't force them or you could mess up the seals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
oldmanbill

Thanks so much for that. Been living in a Dutchman and never drained or winterized, just disconnect water. Just got this one though.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
jmlocklin

The socket that I needed was 1 and 1/16 inches. I could not buy just the socket because they were out of that size so I was stuck with buying a whole set of larger sockets or ordering one and wait for it to come. Since I thought it needed to be done I choose to buy the set. Just typical luck in this town.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Your local AP store (AutoZone) didn’t have it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
jmlocklin

Well, I did not check there. I had no idea of the size, except the 1 inch was too small, so went to the hardware store instead. Never thought about the auto store.

Tags
winter, winterize