Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
HuckJones

Opinions on the Raptor 365LEV

Hello,
My family and I are looking to get into a new fifth wheel and are considering a toy hauler. The floor plan that would suit us best is the Raptor 365 LEV. I would love to hear any opinions, good or bad, on this unit. What experience have you had with the Raptor line and dealing with Keystone.
One issue I am concerned with is I think it might be a bit much for my truck. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab SLT 4x4 with 4:10 gears and a 6.7 Cummins Diesel. I've upgraded from the stock tires to a wider Nitto Terra Grappler (305/70-17) rated for 3640 lbs. With this trailer I would be within all specs except for payload. Payload cap. is 2970 lbs and the listed weight for the 365 is 2970 lbs. so I would definitely be over on payload but I believe I would still be under the 6200 lb rear GAWR and within the 16,7000 lb trailer weight cap. GCWR is 24,000 lbs. GVWR is 10,100 lbs.
I'm not real comfortable with the pin weight but was hoping to get some tales of real world experience with this trailer and a mega cab or similar set up. The listed payload for the 2009 DRW 4x4 Mega is 2950 lbs so getting the dually would not have helped me capacity wise and I would find a different trailer before I would give up the mega cab. Just too used to the room now I guess.
If I did get one I would be hauling empty quite a bit and using it as a storage/ playroom for my 2 kids. How would that affect the towing vs. a loaded box?

Thanks, Dave
HuckJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
HuckJones

Anybody???
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

From what I understand, toy-haulers are designed to carry "Toys" and when loaded the pin weight is actually lower because of the location of the axles. I don't own one but it seems your "Playroom" idea may be a problem. Unless you get your kids some really heavy toys. Father's Day is coming .... a nice motorcycle would help balance the load and leave a good play area while camping. I hope some TH owners will chime in here, Hank .... Welcome to the forum.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
HuckJones

Thanks Hank! I got the iPad that I'm using to read this forum for Fathers Day (got it early) so I might need to find a new angle for the bike! Will be getting some toys when my boys get a bit bigger. Gotta keep my eyes on them so I'm gonna need a brand new bike too, right?
I'm also looking at the Open Range 427bhs, much lighter hitch weight. Wife likes that one better anyway.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckJones View Post
Thanks Hank! I got the iPad that I'm using to read this forum for Fathers Day (got it early) so I might need to find a new angle for the bike! Will be getting some toys when my boys get a bit bigger. Gotta keep my eyes on them so I'm gonna need a brand new bike too, right?
I'm also looking at the Open Range 427bhs, much lighter hitch weight. Wife likes that one better anyway.
It's been my experience (over 40 years) that "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Good luck with whatever she decides.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Raptor 300MP

Hi Dave, I have a 2010 Raptor 300MP with a Harley (800 lbs) and ATV (400 pounds) in the back. I pull it with a 2011 RAM 3500 DRW Crew Cab long bed 4X4. I can honestly say I hardly know the trailer is back there when I pull it. I've never weighed it so I don't know what my trailer and hitch weights are, I just know that my particular setup works great.

ToyHaulers are designed to have something weighty in the back so it lightens up the hitch weight. If my math is correct, fully loaded the proper hitch weight on a 365LEV should be 1800-2700 pounds. Less if it isn't fully loaded (4747 pounds carrying capacity). If you don't put some weight in the backend you will be pulling a trailer that isn't properly balanced.

Put a motorcycle or two in the back, some dirt bikes for the kids. Even a golf cart would help.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
Hi Dave, I have a 2010 Raptor 300MP with a Harley (800 lbs) and ATV (400 pounds) in the back. I pull it with a 2011 RAM 3500 DRW Crew Cab long bed 4X4. I can honestly say I hardly know the trailer is back there when I pull it. I've never weighed it so I don't know what my trailer and hitch weights are, I just know that my particular setup works great.

ToyHaulers are designed to have something weighty in the back so it lightens up the hitch weight. If my math is correct, fully loaded the proper hitch weight on a 365LEV should be 1800-2700 pounds. Less if it isn't fully loaded (4747 pounds carrying capacity). If you don't put some weight in the backend you will be pulling a trailer that isn't properly balanced.

Put a motorcycle or two in the back, some dirt bikes for the kids. Even a golf cart would help.
EXACTLY! I have the same trailer, a 300MP and I haul 2 fat butt Polaris quads in the back, to the tune of 1600 lbs. On my Chevy 2500, I put 30 pounds of air in the air bags and the whole thing sits just about perfect. Take the quads out and I have to add at least 10 lbs of air to get the same balance. Unloaded pin weight on mine is listed at 2350, and I would have to guess it's south of 2000 with the load in the back. That's just a guesstimate on my part based on other things I have hauled in the bed in the past.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Bigpuddie

Thumbs up Raptor 365lev opinion

We just bought a new Raptor 365lev and love it! The layout is great and it pulls down the road nicely with our Dodge 3500 SRW.The suspension rides very well! We feel the quality is quite good. We looked at the Cyclones as well, but having a local dealer was important to us. My only suggestions would be to change the door orientation to master bath, have latches on doors to prop them open for better AC flow with 2nd AC unit (which I installed myself), and make the sewage valves for 2nd bathroom easier to get to(they are located under slideout above 1st axle). Hydraulic front jacks would also be welcomed. We are very happy with our purchase and had a trouble free maiden voyage. Beckley's RV of Thurmont, Md gave us a great deal and treated us very well! They did a great job on the PDI. I think the Raptors have come a long way!

2011 Dodge 3500 SRW w/Cummins 6.7l and Bullydog (EGR, CAT, and DPF deleted)
2012 Raptor 365LEV
2006 Harley Davidson Road King
custom golf cart
Firestone 5k airbags
Reese 5th wheel hitch
Bigpuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Dave:
If you go to the "Odd's n Ends" category and look for this thread, "Moderators Need Your Input", you will find numerous posts about tow vehicles and if you go through these posts, you will be able to find out some good info about your concerns.
There is one post in particular which specifically mentions payload and has some very worthwhile information that would apply to you. Not so much your particular vehicle but "payload" in general.
Have you gone to the Trailer Life website? the Dodge truck website" ?? I am sure you have carefully gone through your Dodge truck manual and looked at the specs there.
Don't forget that "Payload" includes not only the pin/tongue weight but also everything and everybody in your truck - including all the stuff in the truck bed and in the fuel tank. Also, the addition of air bags and other helpers doesn't increase your payload -- they either level out the units or make the ride feel more comfortable.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Kdunham32

I know on the fuzion or at least my fuzion toy hauler after climbing underneath it they put the 102 gal fresh water little above the back axle and under the garage portion to take some weight off the front...Not sure if they are all like that or not...I pull mine with a SRW Dodge 3500
Kdunham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Charlotte01

I just got a 3912 raptor and it seems ok so far. We looked at lots of different rigs but choose this unit for the extra 1/2 bath. I am going to add stabilizer bars instead of a tripod. I do have the companion which works great. Not sure about the price but we bought ours from Tiara in Elkhart and saved a good deal of $$. We dont have air bags on our Chevy. The only thing I dont like on our trailer is the way the 2 bath doors and bedroom doors are oriented. Oh I forgot I also dont like the graphic (stickers)They look cheap and cheesy, but most other makes have them also and will do a full body paint this fall. If ordering I might add a second awning as well.
Charlotte01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
gbsb

I have a Fuzion 383 toyhauler 40 foot long. Don't know about what you are looking at but just wanted to say we have had a couple of small issues with ours over the last year and 16,000 miles and our dealer Southern RV in Tyler TX and Keystone has been great at taking care of us. I would recomend a Keystone unit to anyone good luck with your new camper. We carry a Harley TriGlide with us 1200 pounds. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
hoffbrew

We like our 06 Raptor but we are looking at new ones as well, we use our garage more for kids than toys, but I try to put as much stuff back there as possible when towing. Mine does tow smoother when toys are back there. So i purchased a golf cart (940lbs) for the camp grounds we like to go to. I also too carry about 40 gals of water for weight and emergencies.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote