Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
kfxgreenie

Just out of curiosity how many have watched the whole Video and understand the context in which the "quote" was derived from? In the video he is clearly in favor of many policies that relate to the current administration, his issue comes from when the POTUS made comments on the "two sides" IMO he is saying anyone who believes in White Supremacy does not need to shop his business. This is something that I believe was taken out of context by MSNBC to show that the Business world is now running from the current Administration. Anyway I do believe anyone in business should leave politics aside, and if you watch the Video even Marcus agrees, he just draws a line.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #22
gearhead

They can bring politics into their businesses all they want. It's fine with me. It's stupid to do it, but what ain't stupid these days? If I agree with them, OK. If not, adios. In this case..adios.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 08-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
Desert185

Will add CW to the list with Starbucks, Gander Mountain, Time, CNN, CNBC, PMSNBC, RT, Al Jazeera, Mexico, Airbus aircraft and Target. Buh-bye...

One more step in the process to simplify life.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Just out of curiosity how many have watched the whole Video and understand the context in which the "quote" was derived from? In the video he is clearly in favor of many policies that relate to the current administration, his issue comes from when the POTUS made comments on the "two sides" IMO he is saying anyone who believes in White Supremacy does not need to shop his business. This is something that I believe was taken out of context by MSNBC to show that the Business world is now running from the current Administration. Anyway I do believe anyone in business should leave politics aside, and if you watch the Video even Marcus agrees, he just draws a line.
In the original unedited interview he said that anyone who agreed with Trump's statement that both sides had blame in the tragedy should not shop in his businesses...

Well... both sides had blame... so adios...

He's tried several times to walk that back and is now saying that he let fear get the better of him and he didn't mean it that way... and he doesn't think we should take his mistake out on his employees....

Translate... pocketbook...

I'd like to say that I respect Mr. Lemonis as a businessman and I also respect his right to his opinion... I even applaud his strength to voice that opinion... I hope that he can respect and applaud my strength and commitment to my opinion...
Old 08-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #25
notanlines

I certainly do have a dog in this fight: men and women in our country have fought and died for our freedoms. Not the least important is freedom of speech. Let that freedom ring on all three sides, please.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #26
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
In the original unedited interview he said that anyone who agreed with Trump's statement that both sides had blame in the tragedy should not shop in his businesses...

Well... both sides had blame... so adios...

He's tried several times to walk that back and is now saying that he let fear get the better of him and he didn't mean it that way... and he doesn't think we should take his mistake out on his employees....

Translate... pocketbook...

I'd like to say that I respect Mr. Lemonis as a businessman and I also respect his right to his opinion... I even applaud his strength to voice that opinion... I hope that he can respect and applaud my strength and commitment to my opinion...
Well said, sir
Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

I get my news from newspapers (well, used to anyway) and I get my camping supplies from a camping store. I've never been one to want the opinions of people who sell me stuff (they live off my earnings, not the other way around) to tell me what to think or how to live or to "attack" my opinions on topics that aren't associated with the products they sell. I don't get financial advice from my butcher, I don't ask my doctor to make recommendations on which tires to buy for my trailer and I certainly don't need the CEO of a RV sales/service company telling me not to shop there because I don't share his personal views on what some politician may (or may not) have said.

CW's views on politics (whether they come from the top or from the corporate board room) have no place in telling their customers to "go shop somewhere else". But, since Lemonis was so "straight forward" with the suggestion, I'll be happy to oblige him. After all, there's enough RV stuff on Amazon and other internet stores that it's really not worth asking him to let me spend my money in his store after he's told me to go somewhere else. So, bye bye (not buy buy) Camping World.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #28
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I get my news from newspapers (well, used to anyway) and I get my camping supplies from a camping store. I've never been one to want the opinions of people who sell me stuff (they live off my earnings, not the other way around) to tell me what to think or how to live or to "attack" my opinions on topics that aren't associated with the products they sell. I don't get financial advice from my butcher, I don't ask my doctor to make recommendations on which tires to buy for my trailer and I certainly don't need the CEO of a RV sales/service company telling me not to shop there because I don't share his personal views on what some politician may (or may not) have said.

CW's views on politics (whether they come from the top or from the corporate board room) have no place in telling their customers to "go shop somewhere else". But, since Lemonis was so "straight forward" with the suggestion, I'll be happy to oblige him. After all, there's enough RV stuff on Amazon and other internet stores that it's really not worth asking him to let me spend my money in his store after he's told me to go somewhere else. So, bye bye (not buy buy) Camping World.....
Old 08-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #29
B-O-B'03

Quote:

+1

I just don't understand the mentality for this type of thing.

Why can't people just take care of whatever it is they are supposed to and keep their politics to themselves?

Our kids bought us ticket to the recent Roger Waters concert in Dallas. I got an inkling of the tone, when he marched a bunch of kids onto the stage with "Resist" T-shirts on, right before the intermission... the second set went down hill quickly, as this British, rich, entertainer got deeper into denigrating the president of the President of the United States and... RICH PEOPLE (last I checked, he falls into that category?) anyway I told the DW I had had enough, she agreed and we told the kids we were leaving... I felt bad that they had spent over $150 apiece on the tickets and offered to pay them back, but I was out.

I came for music, not a political rally.

I'll add CW & GS to the pile with Roger, Seth Myers and most of those on Desert185's list.

It IS a free country, you can say whatever you like and I am free to spend MY money as I see fit and that might be influenced by what you feel free to say.

-Brian
Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #30
theeyres

I just don't get the controversy. He said that white supremacists, Nazi lovers can take their business elsewhere. I applaud him for that. Remember WWII? Why shouldn't a CEO express his/her views? Chick-Fil-A CEO expressed his view when he said married gays weren't welcome. THAT's the place I will never go. But he has a right to express his views.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #31
jsmith948

Opinions are like another part of the anatomy. Everyone has one. For me, I don't care what Marcus said. If I can get what I need at one of his stores cheaper and/or more conveniently - then, that's where I will buy it. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, the number of dollars I spend per year at CW will have little effect on their bottom line. It just isn't worth my time worrying about what other people say/do.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 AM   #32
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I just don't get the controversy. He said that white supremacists, Nazi lovers can take their business elsewhere.
This is the statement that started the controversy:
"There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business." ~ Marcus Lemonis, 08/16/2017
His original statement mentioned neither "white supremacists" nor "Nazi lovers". His apology letter implicitly added them (along with others on both sides) but none of his statements, including the original one, made an explicit reference to either.

Edit:

One more quote below from the previous day related to the "what has been said in the last couple days" quote above. This is part of President Trump's "fine people" statement which is taken out of context in most reports ...
"You know what? It’s fine, you’re changing history, you’re changing culture, and you had people – and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally – but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats – you had a lot of bad people in the other group too." ~ President Donald Trump, 08/15/2017
The controversy comes from the implication (in Mr. Lemonis' original statement) that there exists some form of deep-rooted racism and hatred in people based on their being in favor of calling out the a$$hats on both sides or not standing up in solidarity with Mr. Lemonis and others, shouting "Harrumph!" while shaking their fists in the air.

Edit: Edit:

In case some people may not have read through Mr. Lemonis' apology letter, here is the key takeaway for those of us with our shields up:
"I DO NOT apologize to anyone who is in favor or hate, violence, bigotry or racism. And I will do my part to help eliminate it from both sides. One way I do that is by being an example." ~ Marcus Lemonis, 08/23/2017
Take it or leave it for what it is, an apology letter. Other than being an example, what CEOs can or should do is a completely different topic. Still not sure where I stand since I don't have a high level of trust in an apology letter issued under pressure a week later. Probably time to go out and inspect the roof of the trailer before it rains.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I just don't get the controversy. He said that white supremacists, Nazi lovers can take their business elsewhere. I applaud him for that. Remember WWII? Why shouldn't a CEO express his/her views? Chick-Fil-A CEO expressed his view when he said married gays weren't welcome. THAT's the place I will never go. But he has a right to express his views.
I'd like to see the subject quote. I don't recall those words. I just don't go to CFA on Sundays.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

I received the following response from Good Sam:

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took to make us aware of your concerns. Would it be alright if I sent you a letter written by our CEO Marcus Lemonis explaining the situation?

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to email me back directly or call Good Sam Member Services at 800-234-3450.

Thank you,

James

Good Sam Member Services
64 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, Co 80112

I've responded with a "Yes, You can send his letter to me". Not that it'll change my mind, I'm fairly stubborn that way, but I would like to see his "damage control response".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I received the following response from Good Sam:

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took to make us aware of your concerns. Would it be alright if I sent you a letter written by our CEO Marcus Lemonis explaining the situation?

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to email me back directly or call Good Sam Member Services at 800-234-3450.

Thank you,

James

Good Sam Member Services
64 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, Co 80112

I've responded with a "Yes, You can send his letter to me". Not that it'll change my mind, I'm fairly stubborn that way, but I would like to see his "damage control response".....

After I contacted Mr. Lemonis he replied saying he was sorry he had disappointed me and sent an attachment. I am adding the link below; I figure it will be the same one they send to you;

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.lemo...43363209015197
Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #36
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
After I contacted Mr. Lemonis he replied saying he was sorry he had disappointed me and sent an attachment. I am adding the link below; I figure it will be the same one they send to you;

Form letter. Same one I got.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Thanks for the link and yes, that is the same response they sent me. It does little to resolve his "mis-spoken words".... The last thing I need (or want) is some "successful businessman" (more money than sense) lecturing me on what I'm supposed to believe or feel. The "feeling he conveyed" was that same "basket of deplorables" that came across "loud and clear" from another who envisioned taking our country in a different direction than I do. I haven't changed my mind, my Good Sam membership ends 3/2018 and I won't be renewing. I just bought some camping supplies on Amazon that I had previously been buying from CW. So, such is life, at least for me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #38
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
think it would help if you knew the demographic of your customers before you make a politically charged statement.
The demographics don't matter. When you make any diversive statement like this, you're going to alienate at least some portion of customer base... That's why you shut up, smile, and talk about RV's - not religion or politics.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
The demographics don't matter. When you make any diversive statement like this, you're going to alienate at least some portion of customer base... That's why you shut up, smile, and talk about RV's - not religion or politics.
I started to click on the "thanks" button in your post, but thought that everyone, not just you, needed to know that I think what you said is "right on the money" and should be the "mantra" for any businessman. If you want me to spend my money to keep you in business, then don't belittle me or my beliefs, otherwise, I'll spend my money with your competition.

Thanks for posting the two "off limits topics": religion and politics......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #40
instymp

Any time you bring political opinions into your business, write off 40-50% of your customers. Unless you cater to one side of the isle.
Closed Thread