Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #21
Frank G

I find it truly amazing the requirements to purchase a single family dwelling verses buying a RV, boat or your favorite toy. At your favorite RV dealer all the red tape magically disappears, within minuets you can qualify for a 12 year or more loan with little or no down payment. Hell, you can even do an underwater trade, no appraisal required. No wonder the RV industry is booming.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #22
Whitewolf

"In many of the current posts, it seems (at least to me) that construction and reliability has taken a "back seat" to number of USB ports, TV sets in multiple locations and how many features are available on the remote control."

As I write this, we are in a private campground in the eastern U.P. of Michigan. I'm eating peanuts and drinking Irish whiskey. There was a couple next to us with a nice motorhome (not the really expensive 500K kind, but nice). Had all the conveniences (as far as I could tell). Even an outdoor TV. Here's the conversation between Shirley an myself.

Shirley - They have a TV.
Me - Well that's interesting.
S - Kinda strange.
M- Yeah. BTW, we could to that.
S- What?
I moved her lounger out of the way in the basement and showed here the jacks.
S- Huh.
I write this outside watching the bugs and mosquitos around the lights(and killing the few that venture near me), listening to a dog bark miles away, and the normal nighttime campground noises.
It's good to be a Yooper.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #23
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I write this outside watching the bugs and mosquitos around the lights(and killing the few that venture near me), listening to a dog bark miles away, and the normal nighttime campground noises.
Right I'm a happy with my entry level Springdale
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #24
NealBlue

"Private campgrounds like KOA and GoCampingAmerica.com have hopped on this trend by offering WiFi and full amp hookups at their sites. They also allow RVers to use their slide-out, a way to extend the space in an RV while parked.
That last one may sound simple, but it's something public campgrounds don't allow and a major deterrent for RVers, according to Broom. He said national parks are by far the most popular destination for campers."

Is this true? I have never been to a campground that didn't allow the use of slides. Public or private.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
Is this true? I have never been to a campground that didn't allow the use of slides. Public or private.
Yes, it's true, but not exactly in the context of what's in that article. There are some older campgrounds that don't have enough width at some of their sites to allow the awning to be extended, depending on what is parked in the next site. If there's a trailer with a slide, then you may not have enough room to extend the awning. So, going along with that, if someone is in the site next to you with their awning extended, there may not be enough room for you to extend your slide......

We ran into that problem at Crooked Creek Campground in Hill City, SD. Our site was barely 15' wide, so by the time we positioned the trailer so we could open the slide, we barely had room to open the door to the camper and no way to extend the slide. We were literally "up against the slide" on the trailer next to us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
SAABDOCTOR

THE MORE I LOOK AT THE NEW UNITS THE MORE I WILL NEVER GET RID OF THE ONE I HAVE. THE ONLY USB PORT IS ON THE TV I CAN'T TELL YOU IOF IT WORKS! LIKE SOME I GO CAMPING TO GET AWAY FROM THE "TECHNO" WORLD.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #27
Javi

Slides, just like the total length of our 5th wheel have kept me out of more than one campground, but I still wouldn't go back to being without them...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #28
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
THE MORE I LOOK AT THE NEW UNITS THE MORE I WILL NEVER GET RID OF THE ONE I HAVE. THE ONLY USB PORT IS ON THE TV I CAN'T TELL YOU IOF IT WORKS! LIKE SOME I GO CAMPING TO GET AWAY FROM THE "TECHNO" WORLD.
Gotta keep my iPad charged so I can read Kindle formatted books. Real books vs Kindle...its a payload thing.

Same with the iPod music library.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
Luvkoi

Coincidental how I see this the wknd following DH and I searching CG after CG looking to spend two separate long wknds., in Aug., with our grands & great-grands before school resumes after Labor Day. It seems more and more places have no vacancies because they cater more to the "seasonals" than other campers. One in particular had 400 sites with 300 seasonals and 100 for reservations or 1st come. The owner said, "Great for us but, I guess not so good for you folks, huh?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #30
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Seasonal are guaranteed income but at a lower price/night than a non-seasonal. They are losing money in the current state of more and more RV sales. Just an observation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #31
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvkoi View Post
Coincidental how I see this the wknd following DH and I searching CG after CG looking to spend two separate long wknds., in Aug., with our grands & great-grands before school resumes after Labor Day. It seems more and more places have no vacancies because they cater more to the "seasonals" than other campers. One in particular had 400 sites with 300 seasonals and 100 for reservations or 1st come. The owner said, "Great for us but, I guess not so good for you folks, huh?"
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This goes right back to what I said in post 21, Some people can't qualify for a home loan but they can get a RV loan. This and single wide's are hard to find because most banks will not finance them. They find a place to park the RV and life goes on. In a lot of area's it is cheaper than rent and the lifestyle fits. I am seeing fifth wheels parked in a lot of mobile home parks.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #32
bspiek

I am on several outdoor based forums, the ones based on hunting and fishing say the "kids" now days can't do________ like I could when I was their age.

Other forums talk about how the kids now days can't put down that damn phone....

I just turned 40, so I get to work with both the old school generation and the techy generation...there is is good and bad in both of them. It's an inconvenience to have to share what used to be a quiet spot, but these "kids" are enjoying their opportunity to be able to do what their grandfather or great grandfather told them about camping.
bspiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspiek View Post
I am on several outdoor based forums, the ones based on hunting and fishing say the "kids" now days can't do________ like I could when I was their age.

Other forums talk about how the kids now days can't put down that damn phone....

I just turned 40, so I get to work with both the old school generation and the techy generation...there is is good and bad in both of them. It's an inconvenience to have to share what used to be a quiet spot, but these "kids" are enjoying their opportunity to be able to do what their grandfather or great grandfather told them about camping.

Maybe that's true, but, the kids, and parents nowadays, are nothing like me, my parents or grandparents. 90% of the time you just wish you could get away from them because the kids have zero manners and the parents think that's cool....not so. In my day, me, my kids and my parents had respect for others....that isn't the case these days. It IS an inconvenience to share what used to be a "quiet spot" simply because those that want to experience it these days have no idea HOW to experience a quiet spot - scream, yell, run, cover it with trash... obliviate any hope of a regular person experiencing a "nice" time at that "quiet spot".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #34
bspiek

Bull****....
bspiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 AM   #35
John&Genny

I was chatting to one of the rangers at the RV campground we frequent and they indicated business was great this season. They had a 21% increase from last year. We have seen it grow considerably over the last 10 years we have frequented the park.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:46 AM   #36
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe that's true, but, the kids, and parents nowadays, are nothing like me, my parents or grandparents. 90% of the time you just wish you could get away from them because the kids have zero manners and the parents think that's cool....not so. In my day, me, my kids and my parents had respect for others....that isn't the case these days. It IS an inconvenience to share what used to be a "quiet spot" simply because those that want to experience it these days have no idea HOW to experience a quiet spot - scream, yell, run, cover it with trash... obliviate any hope of a regular person experiencing a "nice" time at that "quiet spot".
The real problem is that these folks don't even know that they're being bothersome.... Our society has everyone afraid of telling them to be quiet.. it might offend them..
Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #37
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspiek View Post
Bull****....
You know that you just proved his point about manners and respect - don't you?? Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #38
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The real problem is that these folks don't even know that they're being bothersome.... Our society has everyone afraid of telling them to be quiet.. it might offend them..
I agree with this^^^^. That or they just don't give a damn. When/if I become king, I will decree that no RVs be built with ANY electronics that can be heard beyond the walls of said RV.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #39
Mandolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I agree with this^^^^. That or they just don't give a damn. When/if I become king, I will decree that no RVs be built with ANY electronics that can be heard beyond the walls of said RV.
Camped at a a lovely place in May. The spouse was out riding a bike on the trails, I was sitting in a chair at the back of the campsite on a bluff overlooking a beautiful river. All of the sudden I hear loud music, explosions and gunfire and a woman screaming. The RV next to me has the outdoor speakers on and they are watching who knows what movie at quite the volume. I walk over, knock on the door - nothing. I bang (hard) on the door and a woman opens the door. I tell her her outdoor speakers are on and could she please turn them off so the entire campground doesn't have to listen to the movie.

Turns out she doesn't know how, so I ask if she would like me to do it - she does and it take a bit of button pushing to figure it out. Then I suggest that she might like to close the windows and turn the A/C on because the interior volume is still quite loud and can be heard quite a distance.

I admit wifi (usually my own via a hotspot) is important to me when camping. And I don't rely on the one single USB port in the trailer, I have one of those 6 port USB chargers - so I can charge both phones, both kindles and a tablet off one location. I use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Power...rtable+charger

The Anker unit is in my suitcase when I travel, too, along with the wifi hotspot so I can use a VPN and not the hotel's often untrustworthy wifi.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #40
the sodfather

There are some pretty broad brush statements being made by some of the ahem "older generation" folks on here. I really respect and appreciate yalls opinions and advice on a lot of things but I think the painting of 90% the new folks/kids in the campgrounds as disrespectful, noisy, trash everywhere, etc. is out of bounds. My kiddos between 6-17 are way quieter than me. Reading a paperback in the hammock and helping mom and dad make meals, throwing a football and playing games. Ya, they make a little noise at the playground, that's what kids do. I did. You did too I'd bet. Being at my ripe age of 45, I have folks working for me ages 19-72 right now. I see it all. When the 72 yo man throws his cigarette butt on the ground and sits there and whines about these new kids not having respect and such, it's hard to swallow. My 2 youngest employees (19 and 24) are some of the most respectful folks I've been around. Very clean, self motivated, hard working dudes supporting their young families. Please don't put 90% of the next gen in the turd category.