Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
xrated

New/old Matress in the Toy Hauler....

The matress (full size Queen) in the Toy Hauler seemed to be pretty comfortable for me the first and only time we've taken it out so far.....but D.W. seems to think differently. So, a couple of weeks ago, she mentioned something about replacing the matress in it. She has had a Sleep Number matress since way before her and I met in 2006 and I have to admit, it's the most comfortable matress I've ever slept on. So, her idea was to buy a new one for the house, and put the used but fully functional one in the T.H. So this past Wed., our new sleep number matress for the house arrived and today is the day that the T.H. is getting a new/used matress in it. Honestly, it will be nice to sleep on a "familiar" matress when using the T.H. on our weekends at the track. When D.W. is happy.......well, you know the story!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
Movin' on

We did exactly the same thing, couldn't live without it. It's interesting to see how a change in elevation can effect the pressure in the mattress , but then with the touch of a button, that can be adjusted. We see that a lot when traveling.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
xrated

I believe that I read about that somewhere, just don't remember where. Even though we are in E. TN and close to the Smoky Mountains, pretty much all of our T.H. travels will not involve travelling over or through the mountains.....except for one trip on July 4th weekend. So a quick question for you. If we are travelling over the top of the Smokies (probably 5500' elevation), but not staying there...just passing through, will we need to deflate it a bit before we drive through the area and then adjust when we get to our destination......or will it be OK just passing through?

Old 05-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
ChrisM

I have a Fuzion 371 with the RV King which sits parallel to the length of the camper and is on a platform which slides over when the wardrobe slide comes in and can be pushed back manually after the slide is out. I'm thinking about a sleep number but as it is currently the mattress hangs over both sides of the platform it sits on about 5 inches. Based on video I've seen of the sleep number setup it would seem the rigid foam sides of the mattress would not have a stable platform ( hanging over the side ) and I'm concerned it would compromise the function and comfort of the mattress. Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
NorskeBob

We too the cheaper route -added 3 inches of memory foam - made a big difference.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
notanlines

I could tell you the story of the aluminized potato chip bag that blew in Colorado at 10,000 feet. I swear I thought it was a blowout. I would let a lot of air out of my sleep number if I owned one at any altitude to speak of. We took the Raptor queen and put it in the garage and brought our queen from home into the Raptor. Home got a new mattress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
CaptnJohn

The 5er came with a 'premium' mattress which we had no problem sleeping on. My wife said it was uncomfortable watching tv or reading so I bought a 4" topper. Now she is happy with her book upstairs and I can do whatever down or watch tv outside.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
rsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I have a Fuzion 371 with the RV King which sits parallel to the length of the camper and is on a platform which slides over when the wardrobe slide comes in and can be pushed back manually after the slide is out. I'm thinking about a sleep number but as it is currently the mattress hangs over both sides of the platform it sits on about 5 inches. Based on video I've seen of the sleep number setup it would seem the rigid foam sides of the mattress would not have a stable platform ( hanging over the side ) and I'm concerned it would compromise the function and comfort of the mattress. Any thoughts?
You mean to tell me you don't find the "Deluxe Memory Foam Mattress" that comes in the 371 comfy?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I could tell you the story of the aluminized potato chip bag that blew in Colorado at 10,000 feet. I swear I thought it was a blowout. I would let a lot of air out of my sleep number if I owned one at any altitude to speak of. We took the Raptor queen and put it in the garage and brought our queen from home into the Raptor. Home got a new mattress.

When at our home in the mountains of NM we drive down the mountains to get supplies every couple of days. Our house is at 9000' and the grocery store is at 4000'. On every trip with inflated bags (chips for sure) one or more will blow out. Some, as notanlines mentioned, sound like a blowout; some just quietly split. I'm not sure how a sleep number bed handles those situations but it would definitely make me worry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
If we are travelling over the top of the Smokies (probably 5500' elevation), but not staying there...just passing through, will we need to deflate it a bit before we drive through the area and then adjust when we get to our destination......or will it be OK just passing through?
We try to remember to let air out of the mattress if we're going up 3000 ft. or more, but have forgotten also and the mattress didn't explode or anything like that, but I have seen it "well rounded".

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
We try to remember to let air out of the mattress if we're going up 3000 ft. or more, but have forgotten also and the mattress didn't explode or anything like that, but I have seen it "well rounded".
I spent some time this afternoon looking at and trying to find elevation info on Interstate 40 where it goes through E. TN and then on in to N.C. It seems that route's highest elevation is less than 3000 ft, so we should be OK. Thanks for the info.

Tags
toy hauler