Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
blasterfdc

Alpine 3661 winterizing

Ok I'm not new to RVs and have always done my own winterizing. That said, our new Alpine 3661 has me stumped. in the convenience center there is a switch to bypass the water heater = good
there is another switch to select where water comes from, city, tank or winterize. I would have thought winterize would pull antifreeze from a bucket hooked up to the city water inlet = nope!
do I have to hook up directly to the water pump? requires special hose?

thought about just pouring water into the fresh water tank but I cannot locate a gravity fill outlet for the fresh water tank anywhere = confused.

anyone have any experience with this unit?
blasterfdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Alpine

Re: Alpine 3661 winterizing

So in your "convenience center" is there not an intake port to screw in a short piece of garden hose (winterize hose) to insert into your jug of antifreeze? It will not be the "city water" inlet.

Then activate your water pump and it will draw the antifreeze through the lines. Sorry I could not find a better photo on line, however the intake antifreeze port is the one on the right sidewall above the winterize switch (in my Alpine model).

I was able to locate a photo of the Alpine 3661 convenience center... and it is completely different than mine. It looks as though there is a black plug on the right side wall, in place of where my winterize intake is located. So sorry my friend for my ramblings. Someone on here will have the answer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	11519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine2 .jpg
Views:	370
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	11520  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
blasterfdc

Mine only appears to have two "water" cinnections in the convenience center. Black tank flush and city water hook up. Does that mean I'll have to hook a different hose directly to the pump? That connection is different than a garden hose. What is the purpose of the winterize switch then?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
blasterfdc

Anyone have some advice
Old 12-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
1st Chev Diesel

On my Alpine 3101Rl the convenience center is the same as the picture that "Alpine" posted. There are two hose connections in the bay. One for the black tank flush and one for the city water hose hookup. If you look closely at the black knob in the bay (the on eon the back wall) there are a number of selections available as you turn this knob. One of the selections is "winterize". Turn the black knob to this selection, hookup a hose the the city water hose hookup, put the other end in your antifreeze jug, and then activate your water pump. The antifreeze will be "sucked" out of the jug into your RV. Make sure you have turned the hot water tank bypass knob (the one on the side wall) so the antifreeze does not go into your hot water tank. Hope this helps.
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Chev Diesel View Post
On my Alpine 3101Rl the convenience center is the same as the picture that "Alpine" posted. There are two hose connections in the bay. One for the black tank flush and one for the city water hose hookup. If you look closely at the black knob in the bay (the on eon the back wall) there are a number of selections available as you turn this knob. One of the selections is "winterize". Turn the black knob to this selection, hookup a hose the the city water hose hookup, put the other end in your antifreeze jug, and then activate your water pump. The antifreeze will be "sucked" out of the jug into your RV. Make sure you have turned the hot water tank bypass knob (the one on the side wall) so the antifreeze does not go into your hot water tank. Hope this helps.
Great answer! Hoping the selection knob is labeled... the picture I posted from the internet looks like "they forgot" to label.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
1st Chev Diesel

The black knob on the back wall is not exactly labeled. The selections I mentioned are imprinted into the back wall around the black knob so you can not see the selections in the picture.
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
Mboys

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. I just purchased a 2016 Alpine 3511RE and had the EXACT same issue. I'm also not new to the RV world and this really had me stumped. When attempting to winterize I was anxious to use the new feature on the service panel and not have to pour the antifreeze in the gravity water inlet. Well, after doing exactly what they told me to do, turning the valve on the service panel to winterize and bypassing the water heater, hooked up a short hose to the city water inlet and turned on the pump................nothing. After taking my unit back to the dealer (CW) where we purchased it to take care of some misc. issues, I asked them to fix the winterizing problem as well. After receiving a call from the service advisor stating they were going to have to charge me 150.00 to winterize my unit before they could fix the problem (which I was not very happy hearing and certainly did not pay it) they ended up putting in a valve next to the water pump behind the service panel and added a clear hose. Both of which I have to open up the wall behind the service panel to access................and they still could not tell me what the position was for on the service panel that says.....WINTERIZE. So.................very long story short..........my unit is winterized and I still have to open up the panel, may as well do it the old fashion way. Please let me know if you found any further information on this. Oh, the service adviser said Keystone forgot to install the valve at the factory so they (did me a favor) and added it for me.??????? Sorry so long but this was reallllly frustrating for me as well.
Mboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, winter, winterizing