Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
tech740

Adding LED light strip

I am preparing to add a LED light strip to my 5er
I have already decided on the wiring but need help with the actual strip placement. I am not sure if I should mount them to the 5er under the awning attachment or the bottom of the awning attachment track. I know these will project light in different directions and I not sure witch is better. Anyone with experience of either way please chime in.
Thanks

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Everyone has an "opinion" and they don't all "get you to the same place" so to speak.... here's mine:

I installed an LED light strip to the awning rail of my Cougar. It's "protected from moisture" when the awning is rolled up, but I have to "plug/unplug" it at the awning rail to stow the awning. I suppose I could have "fussed some more" with it to figure out a way to have it permanently connected, but it wasn't worth the hassle to me. I like the advantage of having the light source "away" from the trailer because we don't seem to get as many bugs inside the trailer when we open/close the door. BUT:

I suppose the biggest "con" to mounting the LED strip on the awning rail is that you can only use it when the awning is extended. That means the lights can't be used if w stop at WalMart and need "lots of light" to "do something outside".... It also means that if it's windy, we don't have use of the "big lights" because we can't extend the awning.

It's really more a personal choice, and I'm considering installing yet another LED strip to the side of the trailer under the awning so I have the choice of using one both or decide which would be better for any given situation...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
tech740

I can see it being a pain if its in the tube. If you mount another one will it be against the side of the rv or along the bottom of the rail that the awning slides into. (Pointed down or away from the rv) I am planing to run the wires in my power awning verticel mounting chanel. Then going through the wall were the awning wires go through. Planning to unwite the large spotlight that I see no use for on my camper and use that as the power switch.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
mfifield01

I mounted mine under the awning channel on RV. I don't always extend the awning, so I wanted it to work with it mostly in. Also, I wanted something that is ready to go when I arrive. If I put the remote in the truck, I can turn it on during setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_131233.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	10056  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I mounted mine under the awning channel on RV. I don't always extend the awning, so I wanted it to work with it mostly in. Also, I wanted something that is ready to go when I arrive. If I put the remote in the truck, I can turn it on during setup.

So your light strip faces the ground correct? Does light up the area pretty well?

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
mfifield01

Yes, it faces down. It lights up well. I usually hit the dimmer on the remote to 25%. I'll try to get a pic at night in the next couple of weeks.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Richard Noble

I purchased a 16' strip light from Batteries+Bulbs (half the price of Camping World), cut it to 12' and stuck it to the outer most edge under the 5er near the door. It has a remote but I have to place the remote near the sensor (the strip is wired to the battery) to get it to work. It was not long until the strip begin to fall. I went to Home Depot and found small plastic clips (used to mount mirrors or screens) and screwed them into the metal. This worked for about a year. Half the strip still works but a rock seems to have hit the strip and cut a wire. I'll be trying to fix that soon.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Nagrompj

Quote:
I mounted mine the same way. The side of the trailer is white so it lights up under the awning very well. And when you look at the trailer the LEDs are not shining in your face.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Nagrompj

Here is a picture with the awining closed.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrompj View Post
Here is a picture with the awining closed.

That is what mine looks like on our Cougar 303rls. 1st I heard there may be a dimmer on the remote. Must check that out as I've never taken the remote down.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
michael_h

Quote:
I like how you tied the strip into power . . . at least I'm going to assume that's what I see
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Awning LED light strip

Bought one of the 'in-the-tube' lights, and it works 'OK', not great. Not a lot of light, so one on the awning rail sounds better, and I bought one of these to install this year. Personally, I would like power it from the porch light connection, since it could be turned on with this switch. It's 12 volts, so it would work, just not sure about the connection. I've heard the adhesive on the LED strips isn't the greatest, and someone recommended getting the Gorilla brand double sided tape. So, our first spring trip, I'm planning on installing and getting it hooked up. Took a longer trip south, but didn't have time to do that work.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #13
mfifield01

The remote with dimmer would depend on your setup. I purchased this remote:
http://amzn.com/B00MHKCTLE
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #14
AlbertaRvMan

Porch light to DC barrel connector

Hello,

I have also decided to plug in my LED strip to the porch light.

I am looking for some help with locating an accessory where I can unscrew the existing porch light and plug/screw in a connection in the bulbs place, that connection will then have a standard DC barrel output which can be plugged into the LED strip controller. (Basically a porch light socket to DC barrel connector)

Is the porch light connector a specific size (diameter of hole that gets screwed in)?

Also do I need to add any fuses to this connector if I am utilizing the existing porch light socket?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #15
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
I like how you tied the strip into power . . . at least I'm going to assume that's what I see
Yes, I used wiremold and sprayed it flat black. I added an LED porch light with switch and soldered it in. I also added an LED porch light in place of the sewer marker light. This way I can turn on the porch light from inside and keep the other lights off.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-...-C10/202059078
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Bought one of the 'in-the-tube' lights, and it works 'OK', not great. Not a lot of light, so one on the awning rail sounds better, and I bought one of these to install this year. Personally, I would like power it from the porch light connection, since it could be turned on with this switch. It's 12 volts, so it would work, just not sure about the connection. I've heard the adhesive on the LED strips isn't the greatest, and someone recommended getting the Gorilla brand double sided tape. So, our first spring trip, I'm planning on installing and getting it hooked up. Took a longer trip south, but didn't have time to do that work.
I used the 3M double sided tape for exterior (extreme holding). It has been holding the aluminum channel for about 2 months now. I haven't traveled far yet.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
Hello,

I have also decided to plug in my LED strip to the porch light.

I am looking for some help with locating an accessory where I can unscrew the existing porch light and plug/screw in a connection in the bulbs place, that connection will then have a standard DC barrel output which can be plugged into the LED strip controller. (Basically a porch light socket to DC barrel connector)

Is the porch light connector a specific size (diameter of hole that gets screwed in)?

Also do I need to add any fuses to this connector if I am utilizing the existing porch light socket?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks.
The porch light uses crimp on connectors. I removed mine, since it didn't have a switch. I crimped the new light to existing wiring, cut off the barrel connector to the LED controller, stripped the wires on new porch light before the switch, and soldered in the controller. I drilled a hole in the top of the new light and ran 18 gauge wires into a channel mold, then into the aluminum channel that holds the light. In the end I sealed the new light and channel mold.

You really don't need the porch light after adding the LED strip, but it's the easiest way to make the area look clean.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
UsTwo

[QUOTE=JRTJH;194280]Everyone has an "opinion" and they don't all "get you to the same place" so to speak.... here's mine:

I installed an LED light strip to the awning rail of my Cougar. It's "protected from moisture" when the awning is rolled up, but I have to "plug/unplug" it at the awning rail to stow the awning. I suppose I could have "fussed some more" with it to figure out a way to have it permanently connected, but it wasn't worth the hassle to me. I like the advantage of having the light source "away" from the trailer because we don't seem to get as many bugs inside the trailer when we open/close the door.

IQUOTE]

I did this exact same thing...as JRTJH..And I agree 110%..
Our camping pals set theirs up under the awning... When my light are on and they are hitting the white side of our camper you can actually see the different shaded colors.. when our buddies have their lights on, they shine out away from the camper and you can't see the different colors so much.. we like ours better.. and so does our buddies..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
AlbertaRvMan

Quote:
The porch light uses crimp on connectors. I removed mine, since it didn't have a switch. I crimped the new light to existing wiring, cut off the barrel connector to the LED controller, stripped the wires on new porch light before the switch, and soldered in the controller. I drilled a hole in the top of the new light and ran 18 gauge wires into a channel mold, then into the aluminum channel that holds the light. In the end I sealed the new light and channel mold.

You really don't need the porch light after adding the LED strip, but it's the easiest way to make the area look clean.
I think that is still more work then what I was thinking of.

As per the below video, I want to remove the porch bulb and plug in an adapter cable (where the bulb would connect) and output to 12v barrel which I could then plug my led controller into.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 AM   #20
denverpilot

I also did mine on the awning rail. We used a multicolor with a controller that does some "interesting" things and when it's "party time" we can fire up "disco mode". Everyone gets a hoot out of it. It bounces off the wall of the trailer and lights up the area without shining directly in anyone's eyes.

Sitting under it in that mode will give you a headache unless you've had plenty of adult beverages and aren't paying attention anymore, however. I highly recommend a nice deep red for the effect of making your chairs feel like they're in a dark lounge and you a lounge lizard.

Polyester suit, optional.

Being serious now, I also have to unplug mine before rolling up. I didn't feel like engineering a way to deal with that, since it's not that hard to do, but I did regret having to go out there and do it in the rain once. So maybe I'll fix that this year.