Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Smiggleburger

Brand New Bullet Premier: Rear Wall Seperation

I bought a new 2015 Premier in August. It sat on the side of my house since it was brought home from the dealer. On day 30, I noticed the rear wall at the top of the crown had separated from where it meets the roof. I ended up bringing the unit back to the dealer where they began the warranty process with Keystone. We are now on week two of this saga and have had no response from Keystone as to what they are going to do. The dealer has been good to work with so far, but is getting the run around from Keystone. Not sure how they are going to fix it, but last I heard they were trying to order a rear wall both internal and external. Was wondering if anyone has had this issue and what was done to correct the defect.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/406700...1/in/datetaken
https://www.flickr.com/photos/406700...8/in/datetaken
https://www.flickr.com/photos/406700...1/in/datetaken
https://www.flickr.com/photos/406700...4/in/datetaken
Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. Warranty authorization can get to be a drawn out process. Then getting the parts can be slowed by the fact that a rear wall will have to be shipped by commercial carrier.

I've replaced a few rear walls, and I can tell you it's not a quick job. One big sheet that has no cut outs for Windows, lights and such.

Patience is your friend at this moment and it sounds like your dealer is doing what he can. I can't say what Keystone will do, but if there isn't any delamination on the walls they may say repair instead of replace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Smiggleburger

At this point there is no delamination and am hoping no water has gotten in there. It appears the only thing holding the wall to the metal bracket on the roof is a bead of caulking. At this point, I would rather them reset the wall with a strong glue and call it a day.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I can't tell from the pictures, but I were to hazard a guess I would say the top frame beam came loose from the wall stud. If that's all it is, it's a fairly simple fix. Rear walls aren't "glued" to anything. They are stapled across the top and sides and then the molding is installed to seal the edges.

I guess we'll see when Keystone authorizes the work and the tech's start taking things apart.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Smiggleburger

Apparently, other Bullet Premier owners that had their rear wall separate, reported that the Filon wall was cut to short at the factory. The only solution was to replace the entire wall with a piece of Filon that fits.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Dmille5

Our Bullet has done the same thing but we have no warranty as bought used,keep us posted on what they do for y'all.Does anybody know what will happen if I just fill in the gap with sealant?Whats the the worse thing that's gonna happen if I don't replace anything?
Dmille5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Dooley64

My wall also did the same thing, replacing it this weekend. Already replaced front cap-cracked. They are also fixing my roof. My trailer is a 2014..
Only thing not replaced is the sides LOL..
Dooley64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Dmille5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmille5 View Post
Our Bullet has done the same thing but we have no warranty as bought used,keep us posted on what they do for y'all.Does anybody know what will happen if I just fill in the gap with sealant?Whats the the worse thing that's gonna happen if I don't replace anything?
How bout it y'all any advice on what's gonna happen if I didn't not do anything?My camper stays inside heated shop unles I'm camping.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If the gap is filled with a sealant, it may be fine for the rest of its days.

Without knowing the root cause, it may get worse, or stay the same. Replacing a wall on your dime isn't cheap by any means, but it may be worth a couple hours labor to have the corner molding removed, area inspected and findings reported. At that point a more informed decision can be made IMO.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Dmille5

Thanks Chuckster I may use it for a couple hunting camps this year and then take it to a repair shop and see what they say.I was wondering about how safe it was to tow as my camp is about a 210 mile round trip.It wasn't like this when I bought it,it had never been camped in guy bought it and licensed it so I had to buy it as used.We camped in it prolly 5 or 6 times this summer and really no bad weather,I'm about to decide that it separated after running the AC for a week.i dint notice until after I washed it off after that trip.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Smiggleburger

***Update***

Just wanted to follow up and let you know how my story turned out. All in all I am happy with the outcome. Surprisingly, the process only took 4-5 weeks. Instead of the dealer doing the repair themselves, they sent the job out to a place that does customization and repair work on Prevost motorhomes. That was a big boost in my confidence that the job was going to be completed correctly since my dealer is small and seems to lack resources.

If for some reason this happens again, I will do my best at fixing it myself and dump the trailer. I feel for the folks out there that don't have warranty coverage on this type of issue.

Other than that it seems like a well built trailer (for the price) and look forward to using it this Thanksgiving on our maiden voyage.

Tags
rear wall separation