Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 AM   #1
dnhxx

bullet 220RBI

Any owners of a Bullet 220RBI out there? I am wondering what the actual hitch weight is? The dry weight of the unit is specified as 4600, actual weight from the sticker is 4620. I am wondering if the actual hitch weight will be close to the 460 lbs specified?

thank you
don
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
GaryWT

The hitch weight listed would be the dry hitch weight. Once you add the battery, propane and items in the trailer, that will go up.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
dnhxx

yes, it will go up by 90 lbs or so depending on the battery. I am asking if the published figure, 460 lbs dry weight is an accurate number or is it going to be more like 480 or 500lbs? Some manufacturer's list the dry weight and hitch weight of a bare bones unit without options, even though the option packages are mandatory.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
notanlines

Don, tomorrow is Saturday. If you aren't going camping, head out to your nearest CAT scale. Weigh it so that you have EXACTLY all the info you need. It is actually a little fun pulling in and going through the process.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
dnhxx

I wish I could, but I haven't bought it yet. Trying to find out before I buy it.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
WindWalker

Don,

I own a 2015 model 220RBI and while I can't give details on tongue weight, I may be able to give you a comparison with my rig. First question is the details of your tow rig......make, model, GVWR numbers. My tow rig is a 2013 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine with tow package and GVWR of 6900 lbs. How does your tow rig compare?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
dnhxx

we have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. We recently rented a 4000 lb trailer that had a dry tongue weight of 350. We drove from Texas to West Virginia, the Jeep did a great job. Keeping it around 60-65 on the interstate we averaged 15.5 mpg round trip.

The 220rbi is bigger and heavier, but I am more concerned about the tongue weight than the trailer weight, as we had plenty of power pulling up the hills.

GVWR is 6500, but the payload of the jeep is the limiting factor, it is 1100 pounds. After subtracting two humans and two dogs and some gear, will only leave about 550-600 lbs for the trailer. The maximum hitch rating is 740 on the Jeep. I will need to keep the loaded trailer hitch weight to around 650, as I have been told that the WDH will put about 100 lbs (15-20%) of that 650 back on the trailer axles.

So if the actual hitch dry weight is 460, allowing 90 for propane, leaves about 100 lbs. If we don't pack too much in the front cargo or under the bed, and pack the heaviest stuff in the back, I think we could manage it.

I just wish the dealers had a scale and could weigh it before we bought it. But then - they wouldn't sell as much. One dealer told me a WDH would increase my towing capacity by 2.

thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
WindWalker

I have a car hauler trailer that I use to haul my classic car and while I have not weighed this rig, I suspect it around 5,000 lbs. Location of the vehicle on the trailer lets me adjust the weight on the hitch. This set up tows just fine without a WDH.

A travel trailer will tow much different because the weight is much higher over the axles and you must have a WDH. Most travel trailers have the bulk of the storage in the front of the coach, at least the 220RBI does. My list is long of the items carried in that compartment on my rig. As you mentioned, you have the propane tanks, battery, WDH and whatever you may carry in the Jeep behind the rear axle. Keep in mind the black and gray tanks are rear of the trailer axles, but the FW tank is front of the axles.

While I have not weighed my 220RBI I believe that the weight figures provided by Keystone would be correct. I have 1000 lb bars with my WDH and I believe anything less is not enough for a tow vehicle with a GVWR such as my Tundra. The bars when properly set up restores the normal weight distribution on the axles of the tow vehicle. That and a sway bar makes for a great tow.

As a side note, I tow with my fresh water tank nearly empty if my black and gray tanks are empty as well. I try to balance the tanks since they are on both sides of the trailer axles.