Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
BirchyBoy

Considering a different unit

After 1 year with our 238ML, my wife and I both feel that we know what we want more than we did originally. I'm sure this is nothing new, being first time buyers and all.

When we bought it, we compared it to the 195RB and the 199ML. The 195RB had lots more leg room and the 195RB had a small slide. I made the decision to go with the 238ML because I thought I'd be taking more "guy" trips to go hunting/fishing/drinking/whatever, and the more bunks the merrier. After 1 year, I know that isn't the case. The focus now will be what it should have been: what is best for the wife, me and our dogs. Others are a distant 10th or 11th place.

We're not in any hurry to do anything, but we are going to start looking around. I was intent on buying new originally, but I'm not so worried about that now. As long as the unit is clean and has been well maintained, I'll be happy. I'm going to call our salesman this week and see if he thinks that he can help us.

Whatever we get will still be on the lighter side. Under 4k, a basic hitch weight under 400lb, and a total length under 25' or so. We talked about going smaller, even maybe in the 19' range or so. You sure do learn a lot after one season!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
theallde

Checkout the 30RLI.
I enjoy our new 30RLI but not as much as the wife does (big kitchen island, lots of storage, walk around bed, dresser and wardrobe in bedroom). We've been out in it for 7 days since purchased on 03/05/15 and can't wait for our 3 month trip this summer.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I think your like most boaters, rvers. After a season or so you really learn what you should have vs. what you wanted. There is many choices out there and that makes it more difficult. Normally though the problem is we want bigger next time. I agree 100% about the idea of use. This last trailer, before we purchased, we just said no bunk bed models. We were open to look at any other floor plans and size. No kids or grand kids to take so, everyone else needs to bring their place to sleep.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
wahoonc

I think the average number of RV's purchased is either 3 or 5... Your requirements change, I don't know of too many people that purchase just one unit and stay with it for the rest of their lives. We have had several different types over the past few years. The one we have now is not permanent, and we knew that when we bought it. It was just something to use until we find what we REALLY want. There is nothing wrong with buying used either, in many cases I think you come out way ahead of the game when you do.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
mamawildbear

Wahoonc has it right. Requirements totally change and what worked great will no longer work for you. Our first was a popup camper (which I still love... sniff... just got a text of him camping without us with the new owners). However, we have less time now and our campouts are shorter due to our schedule and next year we'll be stuck doing one night campouts due to son's marching band. NO WAY will I do a one night campout in a popup! So we now have a bunkhouse model. Kids will be off to college in 5-7 years and then a bunkhouse won't make any sense at all so we'll get something else then. Of course when we become park hosts, we'll get that fancy 5th wheel and then we'll be super old and cranky and yell at you for your music being too loud.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
.....The focus now will be what it should have been: what is best for the wife, me and our dogs. Others are a distant 10th or 11th place!
Your wants/needs change over time. Now, our favorite RV phrase is: "Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Your wants/needs change over time. Now, our favorite RV phrase is: "Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
That needs to be a bumper sticker!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
GaryWT

We are on #6 in 25 years, current trailer is ready for year 3. We love it, mostly just 2 of us but with the bunk house our youngest can come when he wants or our oldest and his wife can use it if there tent gets washed away etc. later this year it will be a great place for our first grandchild if he comes with us. Sometimes you change trailers to fit and sometimes you adjust the trailer to fit family changes. Good luck and enjoy the search.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We are on #6 in 25 years, current trailer is ready for year 3. We love it, mostly just 2 of us but with the bunk house our youngest can come when he wants or our oldest and his wife can use it if there tent gets washed away etc. later this year it will be a great place for our first grandchild if he comes with us. Sometimes you change trailers to fit and sometimes you adjust the trailer to fit family changes. Good luck and enjoy the search.
I agree on the versatility of the 31BHPR... Our kids are younger (both still in elementary school) so the bunkhouse suits us very well. But I agree, could easily sleep a couple extra adults back there. Or it's great space for storage, etc...

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
That needs to be a bumper sticker!
I'd pick one of those up.

And I think it needs to be in my Sig line

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Tbos

I love my 238ML but wish it had a couch. I understand. Have fun deciding what to get.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I love my 238ML but wish it had a couch. I understand. Have fun deciding what to get.
The newer ones have a Murphy bed that converts to a couch. That looks slick.

I've called my dealer and they're working up a deal on a 195rb. I'll see how well they treat my trade.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

I talked with my original dealer and they aren't really working a great deal with me. They won't give me a straight price on the new unit, nor a trade-in value, only that it is a $6k difference for a new 195RB. Pretty frustrating overall. I guess I'll have to look outside the Passport line unless I want to travel to WY.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I talked with my original dealer and they aren't really working a great deal with me. They won't give me a straight price on the new unit, nor a trade-in value, only that it is a $6k difference for a new 195RB. Pretty frustrating overall. I guess I'll have to look outside the Passport line unless I want to travel to WY.
Have you thought about calling the dealer in Wyoming, trying to get his figures for the new one and about what he would give you in trade? You could then use those figures to see if the difference is "about $6000" and go from there...

Really, it doesn't matter what the new price and the trade figures are in dollars as much as it matters how far apart they are. That's the "out of pocket" you're facing, but it's very frustrating to have a dealer who won't give you the price in the fashion you're asking for it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you thought about calling the dealer in Wyoming, trying to get his figures for the new one and about what he would give you in trade? You could then use those figures to see if the difference is "about $6000" and go from there...

Really, it doesn't matter what the new price and the trade figures are in dollars as much as it matters how far apart they are. That's the "out of pocket" you're facing, but it's very frustrating to have a dealer who won't give you the price in the fashion you're asking for it.....
Yeah, I've thought about that. When I was talking with my salesman, he said they were selling the 195RB for 19,900 at the trade show, so I figured they were asking about 22,900 for it now. That less 6k is right where my payoff is for the 238ML. If they would have said the difference was 3k, I probably would have done it without looking around.

I'm going to look at a KZ this weekend and a few others as well. Either way, we'll enjoy this season.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck in your search. As frustrating as it is dealing with the negotiations, searching all the floorplans that "won't work" and dealing with overly aggressive sales people, once you find that "just right rig" and the numbers fall into place, it suddenly becomes satisfying and all the frustrations seem to melt away.

Have "fun" looking and dealing, the real "satisfaction" is yet to come

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
AV3NGER

Hi all, I'm new here. I just closed the deal on a 2015 passport 238ML, it has murphy bed/sofa, it's a great feature in this new rig.Traded in my Jayco 184BH (footitis, plus acquired better TV). I take delivery this week. I know the feeling wishing your TT had that certain sofa or more room, and the runaround with dealers trying to nickel and dime you. Don't give up the search, you will be surprised at how/where you will find what you want,at the price you like.

I got lucky and found my 238ML at a dealer that I almost didn't even call! Turned out to be the best deal I seen anywhere. Explore all avenues you just might find what you're looking for. Good luck.

Lou.
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV3NGER View Post
Hi all, I'm new here. I just closed the deal on a 2015 passport 238ML, it has murphy bed/sofa, it's a great feature in this new rig.Traded in my Jayco 184BH (footitis, plus acquired better TV). I take delivery this week. I know the feeling wishing your TT had that certain sofa or more room, and the runaround with dealers trying to nickel and dime you. Don't give up the search, you will be surprised at how/where you will find what you want,at the price you like.

I got lucky and found my 238ML at a dealer that I almost didn't even call! Turned out to be the best deal I seen anywhere. Explore all avenues you just might find what you're looking for. Good luck.

Lou.
Congrats on the new trailer!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV3NGER View Post

Lou.

Enjoy the 238ML. I have a 2014 and love it. I wish I had a couch but I'm not sure how I feel about a Murphy bed. Have fun.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
AV3NGER

Thanks birchyboy. Thanks Tbos. Hoping to pick it up this Saturday, waiting for callback to arrange PDI. Can't wait.
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote