Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Jsdigger

TV/TT related accidents

Hope this is appropriate for this forum.
The other day I was thinking after reading all the related threads about tv/TT weight limits,which truck should I get,will my truck be ok towing and tv/TT questions in general.
Have any of you guys be involved in or know someone involved in any TT/TV accidents.I've only been part of the TT community for 7months and still learning,when I'm towing I find myself more aware of my surrounding's and more cautious,have not had any accidents or close calls But I got to thinking and asked myself "what could I do differently and what could happen while I'm towing".
Again I hope this is appropriate for this forum.

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
GaryWT

I am more aware of things as well when towing. You need to keep an eye on what is happening ahead as you need more time to stop as well as what is happening on both sides. The closest I have come to being hit is at on ramps and off ramps. Cars either try to beat you or pass you or do not notice you are towing and oops... People do not seem to know the meaning of a yield sign as they pull onto a highway or they think they will get off the highway faster if they speed by you and pull in front of you and stop to get off the highway.

I have had at least 3 near misses, 2 people went off the road for doing stupid things around the trailer and one missed there exit as there was no way for me to stop when they cut me off. Luckily the kept moving or I would have killed them I think. The best was when I was getting off a highway and someone came down the second lane to pass me and take the same exit. I was turning and I looked back and they were over the curb and into the grass and still driving. It takes all types I guess.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have not personally been involved in an RV accident or know anyone who has but I have seen several.

Slow and cautious is the way to travel with the RV. I don't drive anything like I do when I'm not pulling. I'm always aware of what's going on around me and way in front of me when driving, towing or not, but it's extremely important when towing because you can't maneuver quickly or stop either. Quick, sharp movements can have an adverse effect on the control of the vehicle. As GaryWT mentioned there are lots of folks that just don't pay attention to how big you are, where they are or what they are doing. My close calls are always due to one of those things; including almost being rear ended even though I had had my turn signal and brakes on for quite a distance . That's why slow....is the way to go
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
14george

Descending off hill pulling TT father in law pulling fith whell some one pulling a TT pulls off turnpike cuts me off lucky I was not going fast
Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Jsdigger

While driving on the freeway in the right lane I've seen several people come really close to hitting the side of my trailer because they were so focused on merging onto the freeway they didn't see my trailer,then they swerve back into the merge lane.since i have been towing,whether i'm towing or or just driving the truck w/out tt i definitely notice other people towing,i didn't really notice before.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I was hit and pushed into the guard rail once as a pickup with TT switched lanes. One friend had his TT flipp in high wind On I84 E Oregon, his truck stayed up right. Another flipped both TT and TV in wind. Investigated wrecks involved with Rvs. I could write a book on what to do and do not do while towing but, most important (top 2) leave enough room to stop ALL the time. And use your mirrors, check them every few seconds when on multi lane roads with traffic.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
raineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I was hit and pushed into the guard rail once as a pickup with TT switched lanes. One friend had his TT flipp in high wind On I84 E Oregon, his truck stayed up right. Another flipped both TT and TV in wind. Investigated wrecks involved with Rvs. I could write a book on what to do and do not do while towing but, most important (top 2) leave enough room to stop ALL the time. And use your mirrors, check them every few seconds when on multi lane roads with traffic.
Great advice. I stay between 60 and 63 mph the best I can. The biggest issue I have is when people cut me off. The new "me" generation is a nightmare to share the road with. I am considering getting an air horn similar to a semi truck mounted on my truck to help with that.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
cabinfever

One thing I think about often is to not swerve unless absolutely necessary. I think this mostly for highway driving. If a deer, or any other animal, runs in front of you, brake hard and stay strait. Trying to avoid hitting something will often times lead to a bigger problem. There are so MANY different situations you can experience you may never have a good plan of reaction. Like others have said; slow, easy, and keep your head and eyes moving to have a good grasp of your situational awareness.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
One thing I think about often is to not swerve unless absolutely necessary. I think this mostly for highway driving. If a deer, or any other animal, runs in front of you, brake hard and stay strait. Trying to avoid hitting something will often times lead to a bigger problem. There are so MANY different situations you can experience you may never have a good plan of reaction. Like others have said; slow, easy, and keep your head and eyes moving to have a good grasp of your situational awareness.
We have two rules when it comes to towing... keep it under 65mph and between the ditches. If something is in front and we can't stop in time, there are two choices go over or go around. Anything smaller and lighter is probably going to get run over. If it is bigger than me I will attempt to go around.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Hit a deer while towing hit rakes held it strait little damage to truck
Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsdigger View Post
I've only been part of the TT community for 7months and still learning,when I'm towing I find myself more aware of my surrounding's and more cautious,have not had any accidents or close calls But I got to thinking and asked myself "what could I do differently and what could happen while I'm towing".
Again I hope this is appropriate for this forum.
You said a lot right there........"more aware and more cautious". That goes a long way toward having a safe trip.

My wife and I just returned from a 3 month trip across the southern US without any accidents, but several times people on their cell phones made things get very interesting. Just have to watch out for the other guy or gal or deer or...........well,you know what I mean.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
rwmurphy15

Never had any problems so far. But I'm thinking of getting one those dash cams just in case. Proof is in the video if there ever is a accident.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
{tpc}

I don't recall if I have ever swerved to miss a pothole or something, probably not, I just make the cringe face every time I drive on these wonderful michigan roads.

I am more cautious and careful as well, but I used to ride a motorcycle, in rush hour traffic none the less, and that is enough to almost permanently make you more cautious and careful of the other drivers not matter what you are in. Thankfully, never had an incident when I rode, but even when I tow or just drive, I always decide on what my "out" is going to be if something goes awry.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
Dave-Gray

Here is a link to an article on this very subject. Inexperience, overloading and mismatched combinations can lead to accidents. RV Accident - Tahoe vs Travel Trailer

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #15
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I don't recall if I have ever swerved to miss a pothole or something, probably not, I just make the cringe face every time I drive on these wonderful michigan roads.

I am more cautious and careful as well, but I used to ride a motorcycle, in rush hour traffic none the less, and that is enough to almost permanently make you more cautious and careful of the other drivers not matter what you are in. Thankfully, never had an incident when I rode, but even when I tow or just drive, I always decide on what my "out" is going to be if something goes awry.
Riding a motorcycle, if done correctly, improves your situational awareness of traffic and environmental conditions around you. I really think riding makes one a more perceptive and aware driver, like being a bow hunter makes one a better firearm hunter. It's really a thought process of self-reliance over dependency. Works for me, anyway...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Great advice. I stay between 60 and 63 mph the best I can. The biggest issue I have is when people cut me off. The new "me" generation is a nightmare to share the road with. I am considering getting an air horn similar to a semi truck mounted on my truck to help with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
Never had any problems so far. But I'm thinking of getting one those dash cams just in case. Proof is in the video if there ever is a accident.
Got them both, still am very alert while towing, always got the idiot that feels they need to pass one more Vehicle before taking the exit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
Jsdigger

The one thing that always makes me freak out is when the DW thinks she see's something while were driving that i dont see and screams at me to WATCH OUT!!!!!,no matter how many times i tell her she's gonna cause me to overreact and cause a crash she still does it.She says she can't help it.
I guess its a good thing that there aren't more TV/TT accident stories.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 PM   #18
raineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsdigger View Post
The one thing that always makes me freak out is when the DW thinks she see's something while were driving that i dont see and screams at me to WATCH OUT!!!!!,no matter how many times i tell her she's gonna cause me to overreact and cause a crash she still does it.She says she can't help it.
I guess its a good thing that there aren't more TV/TT accident stories.
She must be related to my gal. It drives me nuts. After her actions nearly caused an accident I threatened to leave her home if she didn't stop. It seems to be working.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #19
C130

I went to take my Class A Exempt driving test yesterday and on the way there I had a Prius drift across in to my lane and almost hit my front end. I think they were on their phone texting or something. They realized they were about to hit me and swerved back over in to their lane then sped up a little and came across right in front of me to make an exit. Then while I was doing the driving test I had a cement truck turn right in front of me and I had to hit the brakes very hard to keep from hitting it. The DPS lady was pissed but she says she sees everything as all she does is driving tests! Air horns are coming at some point, at least that will make me feel better.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:39 AM   #20
{tpc}

I have the same experience with my DW...always with the yelling when she thinks I don't see something...or she is grabbing roof handles or bracing...etc. I try to tell her it freaks me out but doesn't seem to help...