Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
rbev2308

Dog fencing ideas

Having recently retired after nearly 30 years in the Navy, no longer desire to rent travel trailers to camp so we took the plunge and bought us a new Alpine 3535RE. Looking for ideas for dog containment. Looking to incorporate the basement area due to shade around the slide up to the door. I have a 245 lb Mastiff who will not jump over anything 12 inches high because of his weight but the two smaller dogs could actually run under the trailer. Seen some nice fencing which can be connected just not sure how to stabilize it on concrete...Anyone with ideas, please share any info and pics. Thanks!!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
jkohler70

We used a "North States Classic Superyard Baby/Pet Gate & Portable Play Yard - 8 Panel". It folds flat, and can be used completely enclosed, or open. It may not be completely stable when not closed, but when fully closed, it cannot turn over. If you are worried about the small dogs pushing under it, you may have to weight it somehow.
Wally world has a bunch here -http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/portable-dog-fences
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

245 pound Mastiff I would ask him/her what he would like

As identified in the previous post the foldable puppy pens are great and come in different heights and fold up for easy storing. Comes with pins to stake into ground. For small dogs when opened up all the way even on concrete do not think it will tilt over. Now 245 pounds standing up on say a 4' one on concrete

Here is a product I highly recommend for shade. These can be used to cover a crate, these puppy pens, entire car/van as well as hung off an awning. They come in various sizes.

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain...c-locale=en_US
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
halfprice

This is what we do. We have 3 Ex-Pens that stay in the 5th all the time. Two ex-pens are put together for the outside, doggie jail as I call it, and one for inside when they are brought it for sleep at night. The doggie jail Ex-Pen has an easy up over it for shade. Since the labs always go in the water with me while I fish they get very dirty. So as you can see we use the another ex-pen inside when we bring them inside to sleep for the night.

Wife will not allow dirt in the 5th, no shoe allowed inside, and the dogs get real dirty. Its a tight fit for them but they like it.

Unfortunately we lost the Chihuahua and one lab last year. So our camp will be smaller but I'll make sure our lab will not be lonely this year while camping.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	8018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	8019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	8021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	8022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	8023  

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
We used a "North States Classic Superyard Baby/Pet Gate & Portable Play Yard - 8 Panel". It folds flat, and can be used completely enclosed, or open. It may not be completely stable when not closed, but when fully closed, it cannot turn over. If you are worried about the small dogs pushing under it, you may have to weight it somehow.
Wally world has a bunch here -http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/portable-dog-fences
We use two sets of these. But I didn't pay that kind of price on the website for them. mine were around 60-65 a set.
I have also found some at yard sales. I bought some extra panels from a set that was kinda busted up so it wasn't a whole 8 panel set. But they work great for our small dogs. My grandson likes to get in and play in there. The dogs don't mind. Not sure they would stop your big dog but would work with smaller animals, he could push them where he wanted to go.
good luck,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:57 AM   #6
rbev2308

appreciate the feedback...My dog is pretty much a wimp so to speak. He will stand in the hall if a shoe box is in the way and bark at it. If a door is not open where he can walk thru without touching it, he will stand at it and bark. So whatever barrier I put up, I think I will be somewhat safe. My only issues are the need to give him space. There is no crate that will contain him. The largest one made which held him and my wife when he was a pup, he outgrew before we finished crate training.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
moniteaufarm

we travel with 4 small dogs. We have five ex pens. one is shorter and we fasten it along the bottom of the rig,going behind the steps, using bungee cords. Then the other pens can be snapped to each end of that fence and together and because they fold in and out, they are self standing, allowing us to set up in any configuration needed for the spot we are in. That set up allows us to just let the dogs in and out, without having to put leashes on them. Works great for us.
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Ross & Bonnie -
Does your mastiff really weigh 245 lbs or is that a typo? I know that these dogs are big but I didn't think they were that big and heavy!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
rbev2308

A few months ago..decided to jump into the chair which is now broke!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gryphon.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	8053  
Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbev2308 View Post
Well, I guess you've answered my question It's huge!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

I have 5 of the pens described above. 2 are lower in height (maybe 18") and go next to the trailer apron, almost the full length of the trailer. The three taller ones get set up connected to the other two to build a big fenced area for our Westies.

We did set them up so the dogs could go under the trailer, and the dogs decided it was a good place to poop. So we no longer let them under the trailer.

It's nice because the dogs aren't on leads and don't get tangled. Plus I can just open the door and let them out first thing in the morning without mucking about with leads. They don't jump the fence, we have their pool in the fenced area so they can play in the water and we can set our chairs up and sit with them.

Edit to add: With the setup like this, we have no issues with it falling over.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
LaTundra

electric collar, invisible fence.

I thought about putting down an electric wire that sends a radio signal to the electric collar.
There is also a wireless version that sets up an "area" around your rv. This may prove to be expensive and it keeps your dogs in, but not other dogs out.

USN 67-71
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
larryflew

looking fro an easy and reasonable fold up panel type fence this ebay seller was great to deal with on 4 sets with discounts and shipping to make a large very portable area for our dog.

Link to one of his fences here http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Tall-Blac...item487c73b668
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #14
Murphsmom

The other problem with those electronic fences (in addition to other dogs getting in) is that if for some reason you dog bolts and gets past the perimeter, the field will keep them from coming back in.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
rhandyr99

Greatest dog pen

These are great - sturdy and easy to pack and store! http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-24-32-40...item485ea889b9

Check other sellers for the best deal.... Each panel comes apart and holds together with a rod. Works well on concrete. Sturdy ....

& Protected by 2 attack dachshunds

Previous RV's
2003 Cardinal 31LE 5th Wheel

2000 Terry 5th Wheel BH 30'

1995 Salem TT 22'

Pop up Tent (we lasted 4 hours)
rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
dwayneb236

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbev2308 View Post
Anytime you see a definition of dog in an encyclopedia this picture should accompany it.. What an specimen.
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
moniteaufarm

we were out this weekend for the first time this year. Set up 4 of the 5 pens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150404_170354.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	8273  
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
monica4patience

Dog Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
The other problem with those electronic fences (in addition to other dogs getting in) is that if for some reason you dog bolts and gets past the perimeter, the field will keep them from coming back in.
We have an Invisible Fence at home for our dogs. When we had it installed, we asked for and received, extra wire, wire stakes, and a portable mount for the electronics. We are seasonal and lay out the wires with flags around the perimeter of the lot and just a bit under the trailer (prevents dogs from going under there). We take the control units off the garage wall and bring with us. Once at the site, we hook up wires to controls and place in a plastic box with lid and slide under trailer. No problem with rain.

The new type of "fence" we have keeps zapping until the dog returns! Toby, on of our Australian Shepherds, saw the van door was open (across the flag line), ran and jumped into the van. I swear he turned around in mid-air when the zap started and was back inside the line within seconds. A bit shaken but it didn't happen again!

The other thing we did was to mark off an entry for them with solar lamps. They recognize this as their exit point when we take their collars off for a walk. Funny thing is that our visitors also recognize it as an entry point and use that as if it were a gate!

I have also seen part-time campers use an invisible fence system to contain their dogs.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #19
DWhittaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica4patience View Post
We have an Invisible Fence at home for our dogs. When we had it installed, we asked for and received, extra wire, wire stakes, and a portable mount for the electronics. We are seasonal and lay out the wires with flags around the perimeter of the lot and just a bit under the trailer (prevents dogs from going under there). We take the control units off the garage wall and bring with us. Once at the site, we hook up wires to controls and place in a plastic box with lid and slide under trailer. No problem with rain.

The new type of "fence" we have keeps zapping until the dog returns! Toby, on of our Australian Shepherds, saw the van door was open (across the flag line), ran and jumped into the van. I swear he turned around in mid-air when the zap started and was back inside the line within seconds. A bit shaken but it didn't happen again!

The other thing we did was to mark off an entry for them with solar lamps. They recognize this as their exit point when we take their collars off for a walk. Funny thing is that our visitors also recognize it as an entry point and use that as if it were a gate!

I have also seen part-time campers use an invisible fence system to contain their dogs.
We have a small site. Hoe close can they get to the buried wire without getting shocked?
DWhittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
monica4patience

I think it's about 2 feet for our dogs. But the distance may be adjustable. I don't remember.

We haven't buried the wire, although I don't know why we haven't? Sure would make mowing the bit of grass we have much easier.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote