Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
BlueThunder34

Are you glad you purchased your RV, do you find you use it enough?

So we are going to sign on the dotted line on Sat. the 3rd for our new Springdale 240BHWE and I am waffling back and forth on if we are making the right decision (driving my wife nuts!)
A quick background, I have been in the same career in Healthcare management for the past 12 yrs and financially we are sound and can afford this trailer without too much of a burden. My dilemma comes from waffling on feeling guilty that we should be investing this money or saving it vs a "luxury" item that is going to lose money. On the other hand I cant stop thinking about all the good memories this have for our family (3 kids aged 1,4,7).

My question to all of you out there, do you still enjoy your purchase and would you do it all over again? Do you think you would have benefited from renting vs owning (we would prob avg. 4-5 trips a year)? Do you use it as much as you thought you would and did it live up to what you thought you would do with it?

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the long post!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
therink

We bought our first RV, a pop up when my first was in diapers. He is now 16 and we are now on our 6th RV. The only way we have been able to justify the expense is by using it. We have always averaged about 10 trips annually (may - oct). Any less than that and I would cringe looking out in the back yard at an unused money pit.
Last season we put the RV at a seasonal site and used it almost every weekend. In Lieu of the overhead in owning an rv we do not take the fly away type vacations. All vacations are spent in the RV.
We have pretty much adopted the RV lifestyle and wouldn't trade the memories for anything. We a are friends with other rvers with kids and have a great time.
My kids will never forget the memories.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Movin' on

I had the same kind of thoughts as you. Will we use it enough, will we even like RV'ing, is this a waste of money?

Well, we're in our third RV and I can't imagine life without one now. My wife recently retired and we are about to head out for 3 months, give or take, to spend winter in a warmer climate.

With 3 young ones I'm betting you're about to make some great family memories, so, I vote "yes" on buying the Springdale.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
GaryWT

We have friends and family that have money, we camp and have 3 kids. We would not change a thing, money can't buy the fun and happiness that we have had.

25 years ago when we started we did 6-10 trips a year, then went seasonal where we camped just about every weekend May-Oct for 11 years. Now my wife and I camp 2-3 weekends plus a week or two each year, May-Oct. well worth it with all the great memories. We have some life long friends we met camping.

Our kids started camping at 1 year, 5 months and 4 weeks. The year we had our youngest we only camped 2 times as it was a bit of work with a 4 week year old baby but he still camps with us at 19.

Good luck and have fun.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We started with a new 1971 VW Campmobile that year. Since then, we've had countless RV's ranging from tent campers to motorhomes. In the mid 90's, we decided to do the "fly and vacation" route. We were "OK" with that, but when we retired, even though we can still afford that "style of get away relaxation" we much prefer having our own bed, our own kitchen and our own wheels under it so we can "stay or leave" as we see fit.

There's nothing like the memories you'll make with your family as you all grow and mature together. There's a lot to be said about spending weekends together vs dropping one kid off at a friend's house and the other one stays home complaining of nothing to do, so you drop him off at the movie so you can get the grass cut and the hedge trimmed...... That quality "together time" is what your family will cherish most when the next 20 years "fly by" and suddenly you find them all "out of the nest" and doing their own thing.

Go for it, the RV llifestyle may not be for everyone, but it sure beats anything else I could imagine as a way to enjoy life and keep your family all in one place, smiling and playing together.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
bsmith0404

We are on our 3rd RV and no we don't use it as much as we would like, but we do not regret the purchase. Our kids are 12, 15, and 16. Part of the reason we don't get as much use is the kids activities in sports seem to shorten the season. We have taken trips to Rushmore, Yellowstone, Canada, Branson, as well as many local trips and the kids still enjoy and look forward to them. We are looking forward to much more use noe that we are retired!!!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I started with a cabover camper on a '72 F250 in 1984. Since then I have had a fifth wheel of some nature since '89. Some years see more use than others, but I can't see myself without one. Since its parked on our back/side yard, we even use it there. Its amazing what a change of scenery (walls) will do for your psyche.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
gearhead

We used the cabover in the 1980's when the kids were babies. The class c motorhome was next and we went all over in that. When the 2 kids got middle school aged, they had too many school activities on weekends to go anywhere, therefore we didn't need a RV. It just wasn't worth it for only the summers. Even then they had camps to go to. So we sold the motorhome and didn't get back in a RV until we retired.
So long story short, you may use it until the kids weekends and summers are filled with their activities. At your kids ages, go for it. Assuming of course you have your retirements planned and kids college planned.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post

My question to all of you out there, do you still enjoy your purchase and would you do it all over again? Do you think you would have benefited from renting vs owning (we would prob avg. 4-5 trips a year)? Do you use it as much as you thought you would and did it live up to what you thought you would do with it?

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the long post!

Yes.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

Anything else?
Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #10
wahoonc

Started out tent camping, bought a popup, bought an Airstream (now undergoing a 120 step rehab ) missed camping/RVing so bought a Coleman CM16FBS, our goal is once a month. YMMV

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
MarkS

Quote:
I understand your concern. We store our trailer in a storage yard. The trailer on one side of us has never been out in the two years we have been in that slot. The one on the other side goes out a couple of times a year. We used ours every other weekend during the summer. We were out 40 nights last year.

One thing you can do to encourage the use of your trailer is to join one of the RV camping groups. Most meet at a designated campground once a month. The kids have others to play with and the adults have people to talk to around the camp fire. FCRV (Family Campers and RVers) is one. Good Sam also has groups. They usually have info booths at the RV shows.

Bottom line, if you have fun, you will go out. Don't make it a 'gotta go because be bought this darn thing'. If you don't have fun, sell it.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
x96mnn

Use mine almost as much as my house lol. When I am not camping and in free time I jump from multiple camping forms learning more about camping. Knowing I will be going the second week in May gets me through the 6 months I am not camping.

No regrets.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
mcsearch1

I've been all over the US, Europe and Asia. My best vacation memories with my kids and now my grand kids involve camping in the RV. Too many of my "destination" vacations have left me and the DW exhausted with not much to show for it but some trinkets and a pile of receipts. RV could easily stand for relaxation vehicle - a real opportunity to connect with the family. You also meet some great people along the way. Frequency of use can be a real issue considering the investment. We've found a seasonal site at a terrific campground in Door County, WI. We get 180 days in season and looking at the typical summer rental in Door County it turns out to be an excellent deal. If you find a campground you like within reasonable driving distance, a seasonal may be a good option for you to maximize use of your RV. Campgrounds usually let their seasonal campers keep their units there during the off season eliminating the need for additional storage costs as well. Good luck.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
randy69

We started out using a huge 1970 cannvis tent from sears, then went to a 21' pull trailor. Used it quite a lot. Kids were still in school. Purchased a 40' 5th wheel used it not as much as we thought. But do have pictures and memories through the years. One good thing I have a man cave sitting in the drive way. Stock up with cold beer, and 40" TV. And water in holding tanks just in case of earth quick. Best part it's paid off.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
MISailor

Quote:
....I cant stop thinking about all the good memories this have for our family (3 kids aged 1,4,7).
From my perspective the answer to your questions lies in the age of your kids. You have precious few years to make special memories with your kids so I encourage you to take the leap if it will not cause financial hardship. You may not end up using an RV as much as you hope to, but now is definitely the time for you to have one. Having an RV seldom makes sense from a financial perspective if you amortize the cost over the relatively few hours or days that the typical owner uses their unit, but some things (such as special adventures with family) are simply priceless.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
BlueThunder34

Thanks for the replies all, it helps reinforce that this is the right time for us as it seems like everyday I look at my kids and can't believe how fast time is going by. It also will be nice to get them away from the tv, electronics, etc that seem to cloud up childhood (in my opinion anyway).
We have rented trailers before so we do know what it is like, but it is a hassle to go pick it up, load/unload, rush back before the deadline, etc. I think it will be worth it to have our own new trailer.
Have any of you taken your trailer on long trips? I envision us taking the trailer from WA down to Disneyland in CA for a week (about 1250 miles each way) Seems like it would be nice to stay in the RV resort there and be able to cook all your own meals, your own bed, bath and such.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
wahoonc

My current trailer hasn't seen any long trips... yet. Need to upgrade the wheels and tires first. My others have seen some very long trips. NC to AZ was one of the longer ones.

The one to Disney sounds like fun. I know the Fort Wilderness campground at Disney World is a popular destination here on the east coast.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Signguy71

Camping is very addicting. Last year was our first year with an rv and put about 4000 miles on it going somewhere almost every weekend. Can't wait for winter to be over.

One piece of advice buy the camper you want or your second camper or you will regret it. We go camping with a couple who bought a small camper to try camping and now they are stuck with it or will have to take a huge lost to trade up.

I bought a 35' bumper pull toyhauler and already want a 40'.

Enjoy life you can't take it with you.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #19
koko

We bought our first camper in the late-seventies - a VW Westfalia. We've owned six others since; but one in particular, our Shasta, we had for 23 years. Some years we used it a lot, some years not so much. We never regretted any camper we ever purchased. Our four children who are now 30- somethings reminisce all the time about our many adventures and all camp as adults with their children (and with us). They all came home for Christmas, and guess what we talked about?

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #20
bsmith0404

We've taken ours on a couple long trips, WY to WI, WI to Canada, WY to IL, IL to NM. Granted a few if the trips were military moves, but it was nice to turn them into camping adventures along the way instead of a drive like hell, sleep in hotels, eat fast food wear yourself out trips. Nothing like waking up with a cup of coffee, kicking back in a lounger under the awning and watching the sun comes up. Which is another point, if possible I always try to park so the door faces east, makes for a great morning.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote