Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
TheRealMacGyver

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 3.7L V-6

Hi everyone, first post here!

I just bought a 2015 238MLS and am extremely excited! My concern is that I bought too much trailer for my truck. I know I will probably get flamed here and someone will tell me I am going to kill someone, but hear me out. I think my truck is grossly under rated on towing. It is rated for 3450 and payload is 1800. My old Tacoma had a tow rating at least that high! Now my TT dry weight is 3860 and tongue weight is 450. I realize I am already over and I will add weight when everything is done. This TT has dual axles and 4 wheel drum brakes. I don't think stopping will be a concern. I don't think safety will be a concern either, since this same chassis is rated on other models up in the 8K range. I am, however concerned about my drivetrain, mainly my transmission!

I guess I would like to hear that I am not going to have a problem, because I really can't afford a new truck right now! My main use will be short, maybe 100mi trips over generally flat land (Florida).

Two other questions, one is there a preferred brake controller to buy, and two, should I be running out to buy a weight distribution hitch before I even try pulling it down the road? If so, any preference there?

I tried to search some of these questions but didn't find any useful info on it.

Any advise is appreciated, thank you.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
notanlines

Going exactly by the numbers you are out of the envelope. There isn't anything I can say that will make you sign on the line for a new 3500 so I won't try. Tow it home without a WDH if you must, but then part with about $300 for an average hitch. You can't afford a TV so don't buy an $800 hitch.
Don't tow it with water in the holding tank nor with the grey/black water tanks full. By the same token, don't be comparing it to some other vehicle trying to make your sow's ear into a silk purse. Nothing you do to that pickup will make it road-worthy to tow 5K with passengers and more gear regardless of what your friends try to tell you. See? I was pretty easy on you. Others will have different ideas.......all worth listening to. By the way, welcome to the forum.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'll try to be gentle like Jim Just because another truck in your line of trucks (Ram 1500) has a tow capacity of 8k doesn't mean yours does. They come will all kinds of suspension/tow options so yours very well may be only rated for 3500 lbs or so. As was mentioned, you will need to pack VERY lightly and leave many things behind that you would probably like to have. If you throw all that in then you will be grossly overweight.

Make sure all your tanks are empty. Get a good, but not necessarily expensive, WD hitch. Being overloaded, it is the prudent thing to do. You would probably do well to buy some airbags (I had Air Lift 1000).

Now, the drivetrain. Your weight limits are set by several things, many in the drivetrain. Your low tow limit is due to the small engine, I would imagine a less strong tranny and probably some real nice highway gears (3.21?). All of those things are not conducive to towing much. If you pull the trailer much I would fully expect you to toast the tranny in time. You would be well served to install an aftermarket transmission cooler and cross your fingers. I pulled a 12' trailer from W TX to Palacious, TX on the coast twice moving my daughter. When I finished the 2nd trip my tranny (the infamous Ford E4OD) had to be rebuilt twice and then totally replaced under warranty (thankfully) - and I wasn't over weight.

You absolutely need a brake controller. I like the Prodigy line - either of them. The Tekonsha Primus IQ is a little cheaper, and good, but isn't as versatile as the Prodigy's.

And by the way; welcome to the forum!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
TheRealMacGyver

Thanks guys (and thanks for being nice too!). I do have the "tow package" so I have a tranny cooler, as well as power steering cooler. I will baby it as much as I can. The dealer will not let me tow it off the lot (insurance deal) and my wife did not want to buy it because of this. So, I had to talk her into it and now if my truck has issues towing, I'll be sleeping in the doghouse (NOT the camper!). I will look into that brake controller and the weight distribution hitch. Someone on Craigslist near me has a Blue Ox Sway Pro they claim costs $800 new and are selling for $200. Anyone have any experience with this brand? For what it is worth, I've towed my single axle utility with 4,000 lbs and had no trouble towing. That was probably more dangerous than the dual axle TT.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know anything about the Blue Ox hitch. It may be a good one but not one that I've seen much on this forum.

What you CAN pull and what you SHOULD pull, or are legal to pull, are two way different things. When the OOPS happens and you are knowingly over limits as you have already alluded to, you will have a whole ration of legal stuff to deal with....including jail time.

Your wife, it appears to me, is calling this as it should be called. You are trying to justify your purchase by rationale that wouldn't pass any serious thinking persons mind. I did, and could, pull my 25' travel trailer (in the 80s) with my 2.4liter Ford Ranger...and did, using your philosophy. When the front tires came off the ground in the middle of a turn in a busy city it made me realize....I'm stupid.

I know you are excited, and I understand, but you have the welfare of your wife/family/self/others to think about. None of that seems "real" until the OOPS happens and you are burying "mom", daughter, son etc. due to YOUR silliness. Think it through. Trying to be nice.....but realistic.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
TheRealMacGyver

Well, I got everything hooked up. Had to run power and brake controller signal wires, mount and wire brake controller, install W/D hitch and adjust, and finally take a test drive! Didn't go over 60MPH, and will probably limit my speed to that. Didn't get any large trucks passing by, so I will have to wait to experience that. Here she is:

The Blue Ox installation manual had me measure to top of truck wheel wells without load and then wanted me to get within 1/2" of that dimension after loaded. Couldn't quite get there on the rear.

Front without load= 35-5/16"
Front with load= 35-5/8"
Rear without load= 37-3/8"
Rear with load= 35-1/4"

Guess I could do a helper spring or something, not sure.

Couple of complaints, one on Keystone and one on Lazy Days. Keystone mounted the trailer wire box right in the location of the W/D bracket. I assume most brackets are generally in the same area. If so, they should know better. The dealer didn't mount the battery box center, so I didn't have clearance for the driver's side bracket and had to remove and center the battery. You think they would use a tape measure!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
larry337

I'm no expert on Dodge but that tow rating sounds extremely low. Off the top of my head 5000 sounds more like it. Even 6 cylinder suv's with a tow package can hit 5000. But that's merely an opinion and that's on you to determine. I will say your spring bars don't appear to have any bend. I might tighten them up one link on the chain and the back of your truck may come up some. You want tension on the bars as the friction created helps control sway. Measuring height is a starting point but weighing your truck empty and loaded will tell you if your getting enough weight transfer. Still I'd tighten up a link and test it. If the ride is to harsh you will rattle things loose in your trailer so you'd want to back off in that case.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I'm no expert on Dodge but that tow rating sounds extremely low. Off the top of my head 5000 sounds more like it. Even 6 cylinder suv's with a tow package can hit 5000. But that's merely an opinion and that's on you to determine. I will say your spring bars don't appear to have any bend. I might tighten them up one link on the chain and the back of your truck may come up some. You want tension on the bars as the friction created helps control sway. Measuring height is a starting point but weighing your truck empty and loaded will tell you if your getting enough weight transfer. Still I'd tighten up a link and test it. If the ride is to harsh you will rattle things loose in your trailer so you'd want to back off in that case.
I tried going one more link, but then they really bend up. The instructions say they should be parallel with tongue frame.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
TheRealMacGyver

I'll play around with it a bit more, but the installation instructions say the bars should be parallel with tongue frame. One thing I just realized while reading the manual is that there is a tension nut under each sway swivel on the hitch head. I checked and they were both very loose. I torqued both of them to 40ft.lbs. per factory setting. We'll see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
larry337

Those two nuts are for more sway control. I have gone to 100 before when is real windy. But my trailer was 33' and 8000 lbs.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Those two nuts are for more sway control. I have gone to 100 before when is real windy. But my trailer was 33' and 8000 lbs.
I've tried twice to reply to your PM and I don't think it went through! Anyhow, I feel pretty good about everything and we will leave in the AM for our maiden voyage! I did drain my fresh water tank and have it loaded pretty light. Just going to spend one night at Fort Wilderness at Disney. Feeling pretty good, but the forcast is rain tomorrow, which isn't ideal, but I'll just take it nice and slow. Yep, I'll probably white-knuckle it the whole way!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
notanlines

Most of your white knuckle activity will be when you pay the way at Disney World.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Most of your white knuckle activity will be when you pay the way at Disney World.
Naw, we have season passes, we can walk right in anytime...for free! Well, not really, but it sounds good!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck on the maiden voyage and hope you all have a good time. Let us know how it went.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Good luck on the maiden voyage and hope you all have a good time. Let us know how it went.
Absolutely 100% pleased with everything. I kept my cruising speed at or below 60MPH and just took things easy. Never had any trouble when passed by semi trucks, never felt any sway or lack of controll. My engine never sounded labored, although it did downshift on hills, but just about any engine will do that pulling a load. Not planning on taking it into the mountains, but for what we want it is perfect. The only thing I can say bad is, "Can't they make quieter A/C units!"