Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
wilsonseattle

RV Park Landscaper Damage to Trailer

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. The RV park we stay at (full time) has a contracted landscape crew that comes around and mows the lawn and takes care of various projects. For some reason they mowed the lawn alongside our rig very short and subsequently threw a rock that took out our living room vent window.

The RV park manger demanded that we get a claim number from our insurance before they would take any action to resolve the issue.

Has anyone had any problems like this?
wilsonseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I don't know about Washington, but in New jersey you are not required to carry insurance on your trailer. When it is attached to the TV it is covered under it's mandatory liability policy.
I think your CG is trying to pass the buck and does not want a claim on their insurance. Both the GG and the landscaper should be libel for the damage caused by them. The landscapers business insurance should cover this without question .... if they are legit and have insurance . JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I would think that the CG would have some sort of insurance policy that would cover this kind of damage to your RV. The folks who cut the grass may be employees of the CG in which case they would fall under the CG's insurance. If they are not employees but under separate contract to cut the grass then they should have their own insurance.

In any case you should not be responsible for having to pay for any damage. If you do have some type of insurance that would cover the costs, there would still be a deductible that you would have to pay. The CG should, if this is the case, cover the cost of your deductible.

I would try to find out what, if any, insurance the CG has and insist that the costs come from someone else's pocket - not yours.

I think Hankpage may be right when he says that the CG is trying to wiggle out of making a claim on their insurance.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
wilsonseattle

Thanks Hank, because we are full timers we carry "full timer" insurance which is very similiar to homeowners insurance. So this issue is covered under our comprehensive coverage. The park manager is trying to get this resolved at their cost but I have never heard of the issue of requiring someone to get their insurance company involved before they will take any action.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
cabinfever

Since that was an LCO mowing the lawn, they are responsible. Being a LCO myself, I would just pay the cost to repair. Insurance is for the serious stuff!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The contracting firm that does the grounds keeping is liable for your repair costs whether they have insurance or not. As cabinfever noted something like this would normally be paid out of pocket by the contractor vs filing a claim. We had a new dishwasher installed that subsequently leaked. It ruined the inside of the cabinet and warped the wood floor. The dealer that installed the washer paid for the cabinet repairs and the installation of an entire new wood floor out of pocket vs filing insurance.

ONE OTHER thing to think about; if you call you insurance company, even to inquire, they will log you with a "claim". When I went to buy insurance on our new RV at the first of the year each insurance company would pull a "claim record" on us to determine their rates. Each time I was told I had a claim about a refrigerator replacement when in fact it never happened. We had a power outage and it fried our fridge. I called the insurance company to see if it was covered and found it wasn't unless it was lightning; which it wasn't so I bought a new fridge out of pocket. I tried to explain that to each company but they told me it was considered a "claim". Maybe it's just TX but keep that in mind and push the owner of the contracting company, thru the owner of the park if needed, to do what's right. If you use your insurance there could be further costs down the road.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
notanlines

Angry

Sourdough is on the money! State Farm got a call from us when our water pipe broke under the kitchen floor. Long story, but it wasn't covered. But, yes, it was a claim. And I might add, the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance whatsoever. Your RV park manager may very well be in the same boat. You need to leave YOUR company out of this and go after HIS company.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Sourdough is on the money! State Farm got a call from us when our water pipe broke under the kitchen floor. Long story, but it wasn't covered. But, yes, it was a claim. And I might add, the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance whatsoever. Your RV park manager may very well be in the same boat. You need to leave YOUR company out of this and go after HIS company.
A vast majority, if not all, legit LCO's have insurance. If you just hire a guy with a pick up and a mower, probably no insurance. I would hope the CG hired a legit company.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
GaryWT

Ask the campground and/or landscaper for their insurance info. No different than exchanging info for a car accident. Tell them your insurance company will need/want that info to file the claim. If they want to pay out of pocket this might just get them moving towards that solution.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
notanlines

Cabinfever, I have been in the commercial construction business for the last 38 years, 31 of which were spent with my own company. Licensed, bonded and insured are terms that are thrown around like rocks under a lawn mower. LCO is commonly known as Licensed Cable Operator or about 29 other acronyms of various definitions. In the real world I stand by my statement saying the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonseattle View Post
Thanks Hank, because we are full timers we carry "full timer" insurance which is very similiar to homeowners insurance. So this issue is covered under our comprehensive coverage. The park manager is trying to get this resolved at their cost but I have never heard of the issue of requiring someone to get their insurance company involved before they will take any action.
It sounds as if wilsonseattle's RV damage is going to be looked after by the CG manager as it appears that he is "trying to get this resolved at their (the RV park) cost".

I hope wilson will keep us up-to-date and let us know the outcome which, at this point, sounds encouraging if the manager can be taken at his word. Let's hope so!!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Cabinfever, I have been in the commercial construction business for the last 38 years, 31 of which were spent with my own company. Licensed, bonded and insured are terms that are thrown around like rocks under a lawn mower. LCO is commonly known as Licensed Cable Operator or about 29 other acronyms of various definitions. In the real world I stand by my statement saying the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance.
http://www.lawnsite.com/index.php

You will notice LCO used often on this site because it stands for Lawn Care Operation and/or Landscape Company. I also stand by my statement that legit LCO's have insurance. Your world must be different than the hundred or so LCO's I have spoken with over the years. We will just have to agree to disagree on the numbers of LCO's who carry insurance.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
AndyC

You're in WA, research their license and bond on the WA state L and I website. Report directly to them. Let them know under no uncertain terms that if this is not resolved quickly it will be reported as vandalism. There should be no claim filed on your insurance whatsoever.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
wilsonseattle

Thanks everyone, the drama is still ongoing as now the landscaper is denying any fault, as there are no witnesses this could get ugly.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
notanlines

I think Andy is also on the money. By the way, Cabin Fever, I happened to re-read our posts and the word "legit" jumped out at me. Had I read your post more carefully I would not have been so harsh with your trade. I am staring at the ground with my hat in my hand.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 12-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Wilson - it's unfortunate that the landscaper is claiming ignorance. Andy had what sounds like a pretty good idea, and, the landscaper works for the campground so....the park manager is next up the chain. He is responsible for the work that his employees do. You might want to sit down with him, or him and the contractor, and try to iron this out. Do you have any idea what it will cost to replace the vent window?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
BulletOwner1

I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that you find out the cost of repairing the damage, take that figure to the CG management and offer to have the repair done yourself and have the campground deduct the cost from your campground fees. That way you get it fixed and the CG just gives you a "reduced rate" and no insurance company/lawyer/etc. gets involved. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
hankaye

Howdy All;

I'll drop my 2 pennies in the box.
When I bought my TT, it had a busted window, we dickered around it,
and then a lower piece of glass in the same window broke (my bad),
It cost me $80.00 to get both pieces of glass replaced. Most any window
place can do it. They just need to measure and double check the radii,
then cut and insert. Some will even do it as a service call so you won't have
to up root just to go in and get it done.
I'm done now.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
Randy_K

If its a hundred buck repair I would just have a glass co fix it. It would not be worth the stress and fight if the landscaper did not want to pay for it. I would even offer the landscaper the business card of the glass company to fix the broken window in his truck.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

I'll drop my 2 pennies in the box.
When I bought my TT, it had a busted window, we dickered around it,
and then a lower piece of glass in the same window broke (my bad),
It cost me $80.00 to get both pieces of glass replaced. Most any window
place can do it. They just need to measure and double check the radii,
then cut and insert. Some will even do it as a service call so you won't have
to up root just to go in and get it done.
I'm done now.

hankaye
I'm not sure about your state but in mine auto safety glass is required in all trailers. It cannot be cut like normal window glass. I think it has to be ordered from the window manufacturer pre-cut but still shouldn't be too expensive. ... the other Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote