Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Jagerk9

Question Outback Frame and hitch size

Im pretty sure I'm going to get a 2008 28 RSDS. I would like to know what size is the frame 6 or 8 inches and what size hitch ball does it take 2" or 2 5/16?.

Also what is a few important things to look at in buying this used trailer any common problems or failures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jagerk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
MIKEPATC

I am not familiar with that model but you might try posting on
www.outbackers.com
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Outback Frame and hitch size

Welcome to the forum!!
The hitch should take a 2 5/16" ball. Not sure on frame size. There is a PDF file for a PDI ( pre deliver inspection) available on the forum. Print it out and take it with you, that way you won't miss any potential problems.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
KanTC

Welcome Jagerk9.

In addition to the previous suggestions, I'd also recommend that you check for any recalls. http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

2008 Outback brochure http://www.keystonerv.com/media/32441/08Outback.pdf

Basic specs for each model http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...back&year=2008

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Jagerk9

frame and hitch

thanks for the info reason I ask is that I'm going to buy a Andersen weight distribution hitch prior to picking up the trailer and there is no Andersen hitch dealer down there so I have to bring the right one with me. check them out they're pretty slick set up
Jagerk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
tirnanah

Unless it changed recently, Anderson is only selling a one size fits all for 6/8" frames with different bolt holes depending on the frame size... What matters more is how much your truck is going to drop from the hitch weight. You need the right size stinger for the amount of drop you are going to have. I bought an 8", and started at the 2nd hole from the top, added a super spring and now I need the 4" drop/rise because the 8" I have is not needed...

Also from someone that uses it, check, recheck, then check a third time to make sure everything is tight before you pull the first time. I had some one from the dealership helping with mine who had never seen one, and I didn't watch close enough what he was doing. When I got south (after a hair raising trip down I-5 in traffic), I found out his side was completely loose and not providing any tension, hence the hair raising trip... Redid it from start to finish again, next trip was 1000% better...
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote