Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #21
koko

Do a search of this forum on "Towing Speeds". Lots of good information no matter what you're towing or towing with.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #22
CrifasiRF

Thanks koko. I was getting depressed looking at the prices for late model Grand Cherokees. Then it occured to me if I gave my ego a break and looked at slightly older ones I might be happier. I did and I think I'm right. If I can find one later than 2008 in very good shape, and keep it up I think I 'll do just fine. Nothing lasts for ever but if you keep replacing parts when they go, who knows. I know that's "old school" but then again so am I. I also started looking at Commanders. I don't see much difference other than the styleing. If some one out there knows jump in please.
CrifasiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
CrifasiRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
hi there one thought on the combo. The jeep can tow 7k great! What is the hitch weight when loaded? then what is the payload of the jeep? that includes fuel you and the dw and all your stuff is pay load so please make sure that is with in limits. remember you have to stop what you started Good luck in your search.
Well what I have should be around 3600 tops (Coachman Clipper 17FQ) with a WD Hitch and what I'm thinking about 5500 tops (Keystone Premier Bullet) with a Hensley WD Hitch. Does that sound ok? Just me and the DW I'm at about 200 and she is way less. Just about every thing else will be in the TT. The TV will be almost empty except for the two soles onboard.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
CrifasiRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Pay attention to the rear end ratio too. With the particular engine in my truck it makes a 2000 lbs difference.
I need to narrow the playing field down a bit before I get to details like that. But your point is well taken. And a very important one when I get to the end of this process. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #25
CrifasiRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
hankpage, Howdy;

Going back to my "Roots", We used to have a cottage on the North end of
Avalon way back in the early '50's. Think Pop sold it in '57...
But, then we used to head to the North end of the Jersey shore so I remember
... http://www.jerseygirlusa.com/catalog0.html

the other hank(aye)
'57 hmmm, I was just 7 that year.

The Jersey Shore has gotten too crowded for my taste now a days. My local escape has been to go west to Spruce Run and sail on the reservoir. It's beautiful and still not crowded even on holiday weekends. We have even taken the Clipper there to a camp site and sailed the boat over to the nearest shore point. The best of both worlds for us.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #26
SAABDOCTOR

so what is the cargo or payload of the Jeep? tounge weight plus you and dw and fuel could be well over 1300lbs.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #27
koko

When we purchased our Durango (low-mileage used), we were originally going for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We were trading in a 1-year-old Jeep Liberty Arctic that was struggling to pull the Pod (overheating even with tow package, and putting on another trans cooler would have voided our warranty). Trade-in was ridiculous, and we even went to the dealer where we had purchased it new. New Grand Cherokees were so expensive, and they didn't have any used. The dealer told us that one of his sales people had just traded in the Durango for a car (23,000 miles). That's how we ended up with the Durango. We also use a weight distribution hitch - we couldn't do without it.

1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #28
CrifasiRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
so what is the cargo or payload of the Jeep? tounge weight plus you and dw and fuel could be well over 1300lbs.
Max payload of the truck is 1290
Tongue weight is 410

Not sure about fuel weight, so it could be close, but we will have a WD hitch and the trailer + 1000 lbs is still 2000 under the max towing weight. I think we should be fine.

But only a stop at the truck scales will tell the whole story.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
CrifasiRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
When we purchased our Durango (low-mileage used), we were originally going for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We were trading in a 1-year-old Jeep Liberty Arctic that was struggling to pull the Pod (overheating even with tow package, and putting on another trans cooler would have voided our warranty). Trade-in was ridiculous, and we even went to the dealer where we had purchased it new. New Grand Cherokees were so expensive, and they didn't have any used. The dealer told us that one of his sales people had just traded in the Durango for a car (23,000 miles). That's how we ended up with the Durango. We also use a weight distribution hitch - we couldn't do without it.
Ok koko I've been doing my homework. Though I don't like the gas milage at all it has becom obvious, if I intend to pull Keystone Premier 19, it will have to be with a V8. The price tags I have been seeing on the Internet have been making me queezy. I decided to take a trip to my local Chrysler dealership. That just confirmed my sticker shock. So it looks like I'll either have to give up the idea or fade back and punt. In other words look for an older (2008?) TV in good shape. How trust worthy would something like that be for long trips? The assumption being that it is kept in good mechanical repair. I just can't see putting out so much money for a late model no less a new one. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #30
koko

Try to find a low-mileage gem. Jeep, when well maintained, lasts a long time. Ask your dealer to keep an eye out for something good. Our daughter purchased a 2000 Grand Cherokee, had 75,000 miles, specifically to pull their camper.

1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #31
65aircooled

Greetings from exit 139, not too far from you. I don't see many campers around here if at all. We have to have ours parked in Tewksbury, about a 40 min ride.
Good luck with your quest for a new TV and enjoy