Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
Steve S

I think it's made by Allen. I haven't turned the furnace on since I bought.
Having troubles loading pics from the tablet, I'll try from the office computer'
Old 09-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
Steve S

Here's a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140928_125559.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	7133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140928_125645.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	7134   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140928_125611.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7136  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
mazboy123

heater

get one of those electric oil heaters. quiet
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
Desert185

Yeah, oil heater seems to make the most sense. We have a little 10x10 "bunk house/sewing room" in Alaska that is heated by one of those $35 oil heaters. Warm and toasty with not a lot of electric used for the results.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
Richard6959

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7913 View Post
Chris, do you have one of these CheapHeat systems? Just curious how well it works, how well it blows if its ducted etc.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
B&T

For what it's worth -------Was in samsclub today.

They had three infrared quartz heaters in a special location. All three were in a wood enclosure and Powerheat was the brand. They appeared to all have thermostatic controls.

1. Heater with fireplace effect ~$175
2. Similar Heater without fireplace effect ~$134
3. Heater shaped like a mini tower ~$115

I did not take pictures as i thought sams would list them online but after looking on their site I don't see them.

If anyone is looking for a heater like these they may be in your local samsclub.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #27
billandjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
May not be the best but it's certainly seen a lot of use this summer in Upper Michigan.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81525-33454-...ductId=3262237

Very quiet, oscillates, and the thermostat control works well. And not expensive.
I have one of those an love it.

Wal-Mart has a good selection of heaters now that fall is here, so check there too.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #28
mikell

We have a fireplace but use oil filled heaters in the basement also in the living area when boondocking without water in the winter they keep a big coffee pot nice and warm for washing
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #29
Andymon

We installed an electric fireplace and it keeps our TT nice a comfy.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Yeti

I use a inferred heater in my living room a small space heater in the belly and another infrared heater under the trailer with the skirting.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #31
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I am not a fan of portable electric heat for fire safety. Had a couple in the basement at the house and they melted. Back in the pop up days when we did not heat I used an oil filled radiator type which was good. Currently we just use propane.
I like electric heaters when I'm available to keep an eye on them, but sure wouldn't use one while I was gone or sleeping.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #32
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I like electric heaters when I'm available to keep an eye on them, but sure wouldn't use one while I was gone or sleeping.
Ditto. Too much load on same circuit or malfunction of heater and either situation can quickly turn into a fire. Same goes for if electrician did a poor wiring job on circuit or the outlet is made with inferior materials.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
Ditto. Too much load on same circuit or malfunction of heater and either situation can quickly turn into a fire. Same goes for if electrician did a poor wiring job on circuit or the outlet is made with inferior materials.
My only response is name one actual case you personally know of where an electric heater in a newer trailer has caused a fire. I don't know of one. Do you? I think they are totally safe.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #34
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
My only response is name one actual case you personally know of where an electric heater in a newer trailer has caused a fire. I don't know of one. Do you? I think they are totally safe.
I agree. If the wire is properly sized and protected with the correct size circuit breaker, and you are not going to find any examples otherwise in a factory built trailer, the circuit breaker will trip long before the wire overheats to the point of causing a fire. as far as an outlet being made of "inferior" material", you can't buy any electrical parts or materials that are not UL approved, unless maybe you are in some third world country.
The only fires I have heard of was where a heater was placed too close to a combustible material and that's a case of stupidity, not an equipment or materials defect.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...http://rvsteve.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...77161500,d.cWc

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...in-5288047.php

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2010/12/...As-Travel.aspx

http://www.1041kqth.com/news/198610551.html

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-trailer-fire/

http://www.kxxv.com/story/24163592/s...lls-three-dogs

http://vogeltalksrving.com/2013/01/m...troy-pets-rvs/

http://blog.goodsamcamping.com/2014/...e-of-rv-fires/

The first two are from reputable RV related sources, first from an RV repair facility and second from SUNDANCE RV Company, a manufacturer of RV's. Even if you don't choose to read the rest (they are reports of fires caused by electric space heaters in travel trailers), read the first two. They explain what the read danger inside a travel trailer is. It's not always the space heater that causes the fire, sometimes (more often than not????) it's the demand on the wiring that isn't properly sized for a "long duration, high demand" load such as an electric space heater. The wiring, outlet and power distribution center in the trailer can be as likely to cause a fire as can the electric space heater. Don't be "lulled" into believing that the RV manufacturer builds RV's the to the same electrical standards as "stick built" houses.

Do what you want, but please be careful if you choose to use electric space heaters. It's not only the space heater (safety devices or not), but manufacturers (at least Sundance) have cautioned that their electrical systems aren't designed to support "full load use" for long durations of time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #36
Desert185

That's surprising. Regardless, I can't leave the trailer, or the house, with a heater plugged in and on. It just seems like a bad idea. If I'm gone for a short while, the place won't cold soak, and if I'm gone for a long while I don't need the heat. The furnace in the confined space will get the place warm enough in a hurry while the space/oil heater or fireplace gets up to heat for the long term occupation. I don't even like leaving a toaster plugged in.

If I'm in Winnipeg for the winter (not likely), I would leave the central heat on with the thermostat turned down low before I would leave a heater plugged in unattended. Thankfully, our room temperature tolerance window is such that stuffy heat isn't on the comfort menu.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #37
Festus2
Site Team

Many of today's larger RV's have a built-in fireplace which people use to keep the RV "warm and toasty" during cooler evenings. Are these fireplaces similar to or the same as a "space heater" and should be used with the same caution and warning? Do they have adjustable heat settings so they can be operated on a range of wattages or are they simply ON or OFF?

Is an oil-filled heater any safer than a "space" heater - one that uses an element or ceramic block to produce heat? It would seem that both types - oil and heating element - draw current from the RV's electrical system so what difference, if any, does it make?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #38
billandjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I pay for my propane and I pay for the use of electric with the site fees. I would much rather use the electric that is included with my site charges.
That's why I use electric heat too - the electricity is provided free of charge (site fee pays for it)

Wal-mart has all their heater available now that fall and winter weather are setting in.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #39
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Many of today's larger RV's have a built-in fireplace which people use to keep the RV "warm and toasty" during cooler evenings. Are these fireplaces similar to or the same as a "space heater" and should be used with the same caution and warning? Do they have adjustable heat settings so they can be operated on a range of wattages or are they simply ON or OFF?

Is an oil-filled heater any safer than a "space" heater - one that uses an element or ceramic block to produce heat? It would seem that both types - oil and heating element - draw current from the RV's electrical system so what difference, if any, does it make?
Our Cougar fire place has different blower settings, but the few times we have used it so far I haven't noticed it cycling. I do know its going to save propane and be effective enough for our needs. In the morning, I just run the furnace for about 5 min to kill the chill (we don't have any heat on during the night), while giving the fireplace a chance to maintain comfort without the furnace.

I feel that an oil filled heater may be a bit safer than a non-oil space heater, but I still unplug it when not attended for any length of time. Wattage is wattage...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2,

Yes, the fireplace in most RV's is simply an electric resistive element heater with an optical "firebox" mounted in the same cabinet. The Dimplex 26" Optiflame Electric FireplaceModel NBDF2608 is the most common one used in Keystone products.

This fireplace contains an optical flame unit with 3 60 watt candelabra base bulbs in the lower section and two 15 watt candelabra base bulbs in the upper section (total 210 watts) and a 1440 watt resistive element heater with a squirrel cage blower mounted above the optical firebox. This heater has two "ribbon heating elements" that glow red when operating. One glows on the "LOW" setting and both glow on the "HIGH" setting. The blower pushes the heat out of the "heater box" and out the two upper vent openings.

Usually this 1650 watt (do the math) heater is plugged into a "standard push crimp" RV outlet mounted on the wall "behind the fireplace where it's not easily accessible. There is a "warning" in the installation manual for the fireplace http://www.dyersonline.com/dimplex-2...fireplace.html that states: "⑥ The appliance must be positioned so that the plug is accessible."

If you go to the SUNDANCE link in my previous post: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...77161500,d.cWc

You'll see that the problem that prompted Sundance to issue the warning about using electric heaters in their RV's is that the 15 Amp breaker/14AWG romex is not well suited to carry a load of 1300 watts or more for an extended period of time without potentially overheating and causing an electrical fire within the wall. The problem is complicated by use of the "RV standard" push/crimp connector that is found on all RV outlet boxes/plugs. These "V-crimp" plugs connect to the wires by cutting the insulation and contacting the copper wire inside it. If there are multiple connections on the same "V-crimp" (a standard practice in stringing outlets in an RV) there is a distinct probability that the connection would loosen and that causes the overheating to begin.

As for an oil filled electric heater being "safer" for use, if it has an operating wattage of 1300 watts or greater, it poses the same risk of overheating the RV wiring that any other "long term use" device would pose. Fortunately, microwaves, hair dryers, etc aren't used on "high" setting for hours on end. That's the problem with the RV wiring that isn't "protected" by the heater's safety devices.

So, having an electric fireplace in an RV is a convenience, but it is just as likely to have a problem as any other electric heater could have. Operating it on the LOW (or #1) setting is recommended by Sundance in their warning located at the link provided.

I'm not trying to "scare anyone to not use electric heaters" (I use one in my Cougar), but rather to give information that it's not as safe as you might think, even if it's a new heater with all the latest safety devices built in. The RV itself is an inherent danger because of the "CHEAP" way that all manufacturers build them. Apparently Sundance has had problems and issued the warning to owners. Other manufacturers either haven't yet been sued or have the "ostrich syndrome" of ignoring issues with their "head in the sand".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote