Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
byrdr1

Scam Warning

I have had an interesting week. I dont how many use PayPal, but wanted to relate a story to you. on 8-27 I was checking my online banking account and noticed a payment to paypal for over $700.00. WHAT??? I haven't bought anything from ebay in months. thats the only thing I had paypal for. So call them and ask several questions, they ask me several questions, we file a fraud case with them. We'll get back to you soon sir!
Forward to 9-2.. Haven't heard anything from paypal call them and ask whats up? nothing on our end its your CC card that's tied to the paypal account its nothing on our end. I was like really! you couldn't have told me this last week, "well we just discovered it wasn't our fault".. So now I have to call my Bank and start this fraud stuff all over again..Bad thing was my CC card had/has been hacked and I went all Labor day weekend using it plus I had a paycheck deposited also.
So here it is Saturday and I dont have a cc card back from the bank so I am a cash only guy this weekend, but I forgot to go bank and get cash so now I am a broke for the weekend. If I can get wally world to take a check and get some extra cash I will be OK.
Why am I posting this you ask to give you a warning on the paypal end. Because the amount was so large I filed a Sheriffs dept report. The deputy who took the report said that he had seen this 3-4 times already in the last month. He said the local police dept also had several reports too all tied to hacked CC cards and using paypal.. Most banks fraud alerts dont trigger when using paypal like if they just hacked your Cc card.
So I am passing this along!
thanks for vent also..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
dirt33

I got rid of my Paypal account after it was hacked. Got a call on a Sunday morning around 6AM wanting to confirm the purchase I was attempting to make of a computer on Tiger Direct. Pretty easy for me to know immediately that that wasn't legit, as I am not sure if I have ever purchased anything at 6AM on a Sunday. I'm not even sure how many times in my life I have been awake at the day/time....

I still will make a payment to someone else's Paypal using my CC, but I no longer have my own account with my CC info stored/tied to it. Haven't had any problems since deleting my Paypal account.

Sucks that you have run into this problem. Hopefully it all gets straightened out pretty easily. Now you just need Wally World to come through for some walking around cash... Good luck.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
kellydog98

If you havn't looking into Life-Lock I suggest you do. In todays time, I believe it's a necessity to do all you can to protect yourself. Life-Lock is a great assurance to me that your situation will never darken my door. Sorry to hear about your mess.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Little Guy

Paypal ID theft

I had my identity stolen via Paypal about 2 years ago and my life has been a id nightmare ever since. This year, the thieves got my federal income tax return before I did. I have so many alerts and blocks on my credit reports now that even I cannot make a major purchase without jumping through a ton of hoops. The only advice I can give is that everyone should closely monitor their financial accounts on a regular basis and perhaps sign up for Lifelock.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote