Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
srbays

Banishing Carpet in Mountaineer 29BH

Happy Holidays!

After cursing Keystone (and the industry in general) over issues of roof leaks, filon, low-grade fasteners in critical locations, etc., I want to acknowledge that they did us a huge favor by running vinyl flooring the full length of the TT. Additionally, there wasn't a single tack strip on my 2005 so when I removed the thousand or so narrow-crown staples, the floor is good-as-new.

In our last TT we had to take out the carpet and install vinyl tile to make the unit practical for Florida so this was "vinyl windfall" was a real pleasant surprise.

I did NOT remove the slide out carpet because I don't have a plan for bridging the joint between the slide out floor and the "fixed" floor. For now I've simply trimmed off the carpet beneath the "flap" over the joint about an inch onto the fixed floor. Cycling the slide in and out posed no problems and the slide didn't damage the newly exposed vinyl.

I read a number of threads where our colleagues feared complications from removing the carpet, but I have not found any drawbacks to this simple mod.

Happy Trails,

Sam Bays
2006 F250 PSD, LWB, Leer Topper, Pull-Rite Hitch
2005 Mountaineer 29 BH
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote