Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
rsbamafan

2000 f250 crew 7.3psd 4wd

Just bought this truck to tow a outback 279rb about 8500lbs loaded.What do you guys think about this combo?The truck seems to be well maintained but i have no records.It has 280000 on it and i am thinking about doing maintenance.What all should i do?I have heard conflicting things about servicing the trans.
rsbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The E4OD transmission is your "weakest link". That engine, if properly maintained will outlast the rest of the vehicle by miles upon miles......

Watch your turbo temperature. After a long haul, let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo down. Otherwise you'll "cook" the oil in it and it will fail prematurely. Otherwise, enjoy it, watch for fuel filter/water separator issues and drive it like you own it, not like you stole it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Here is a tip for you. everything i own has a turbo on it. my oldest Saab engine has 710k on it original turbo.John is right about warm up and cool down. Try to get into a rythem. start your truck first. then set you climate control turn on the radio and lights. close the door buckle the seat belt check the mirrors, then drive off easy. keep the boost low till the temp gauge starts to move. when you get to where your going, turn off the lights the climate control gather your stuff unbuckel the seat belt open the door then shut off the engine. sounds crazy but this way the turbo has time to warm up a bit and cool down before you turn off the engine. turbos spin at high rpms even when not producing boost. the area or the bearing is very small and when the engine is switched off the oil supply stops. the high heat and high rpms cook the oil ( we call it coking) Also use a good quality oil and change it often.Enjoy the new to you truck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
hankaye

rsbamafan, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbamafan View Post
Just bought this truck to tow a outback 279rb about 8500lbs loaded.What do you guys think about this combo?The truck seems to be well maintained but i have no records.It has 280000 on it and i am thinking about doing maintenance.What all should i do?I have heard conflicting things about servicing the trans.
There are several Ford forums you can join to get insights and ideas from;

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.powerstroke.org/

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/index.php?

Generally you can find a good mix of knuckle-heads and good ideas and the
usual drop or 2 of outstanding knowledge dripping through.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
byrdr1

I have an 03 f-350 7.3PSD with 215000 on it.
I have kept the oil changed regularly, I have done minor maintenance on the engine. Alternators it loves them about one year, likes batteries too. always buy the lifetime warranty, easy change out.
Front end has been rebuilt(upper and lower ball joints, zerk fittings installed and the long bar from one side to the other of the front end.
Valve cover gaskets replaced due to blow out and on my year model the wiring for the engine was in there. put me DOA on a camping trip 80 miles from home. Also had the fuel system serviced when the valve covers blew, tank pulled down new pump and hardware.
tranmission serviced every 80-90K. front brakes and rotors and rear brakes and rotors.
getting ready to put another set of tires on it, Looking at the yokohoma Geolanders ATX.
The guy that did my work on the valve covers gaskets stated that there was no finer engine on the market as long as you take care it. I change the air filter and fuel filter every other oil change.
Kept me going last week in the blizzard of NC..
Just thought I would share.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

BYRDR1 It's amaing how many people negelct the fuel filter I too change my fuel filter every other oil change the air filter once a year. flush the trans once a year. nice to hear about some one who does this kind of PM. I don't want to buy another truck. sounds like you don't either
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Hansel

I'm throwing in my 2 cents worth, first off you have purchased a great diesel engine, has said before it will out last the rest of the truck. I have over 255,000+ miles and the repairs have been minor (CPS, oil cooler) the only major repair was a new Jasper HD transmission at 194,000 miles. Ya it's needed brakes twice, and ball joint's but I keep up on regular maintenance of the truck, I tow a Laredo 284BH which weighed in at just over 8,000 lbs.

The transmission is fine if kept cooled and the fluid changed regularly, here are the fluid changes I make.

Oil @ 5,000 miles (Rotella T6)
Fuel Filter @ 10,000 (Motorcraft)
Coolant @100,000 with SCA added every 30K
Transmission @ 16K (flush entire system)
Rear End every 20K (Mobil1 Syn)

Some mods you can or should do would be replace the small transmission cooler with the one from the 6.0L, it's a direct replacement you just need too convert the transmissions lines from 3/8" to 1/2", put some gauges on it, you need atleast EGT, and transmission, boost if you want. Open up the exhaust and get it breathing better (Stay away from K&N) and next would be a custom tunes like PHP's Hydra chip which has been one of the best investments I've made for my truck, it tow's so much nicer having the power too actually pass a truck and not having too do it going downhill.

Service the transmission is easy, get 5 gallons of fluid, you take the return line off pump out 1 gallon then replace, repeat until you have flushed the 5 gallons through the transmission, but the first time I would drop the pan and replace the filter also so at that point you will need to replace about 1.5 gallons then flush the rest totaling 5 gallons.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

If the truck was towing much, I would believe the transmission has been upgraded or replaced. I blew the gears or clutchs out at 44000 due to a chipped up high pro add on. Over heated the next factory tranny at around 90000 and blew out the front seal. Finally I did what every one else(4) friends, I know who tows with that tranny, I got a aftermarket with 2x size factory cooler and gauges, no issuses since, now at 168000 miles. My manual says nothing about idling and cooling down the turbo, the 96 I had did and I still do anyway. That pyro gauge helps see the temps it only takes afew minutes idling to bring down the temps. Good Luck with the truck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #9
Martydonna

I have a 96 F350 7.3 275000 miles. Need to watch EGT-Exhaust Temps/Trans temps. I have a DP Tuner helps for towing with 2 trans coolers and 3 gauge pods. 1 for trans temps, 1 for EGT, and 1 for Turbo boost. You can check out this web Powerstrokearmy.com. Enjoy the 7.3 great motor.
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If the truck ... My manual says nothing about idling and cooling down the turbo, the 96 I had did and I still do anyway. That pyro gauge helps see the temps it only takes afew minutes idling to bring down the temps. Good Luck with the truck.
Ken,

It's on page 10 of the diesel supplement manual: "STOPPING THE ENGINE Turn the ignition to OFF. To prolong engine life (after extended high speed or maximum GVW operation), it is recommended that a hot engine be allowed to operate at low idle for about 7–10 minutes which would allow sufficient time for the turbocharged engine to cool down."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ken,

It's on page 10 of the diesel supplement manual: "STOPPING THE ENGINE Turn the ignition to OFF. To prolong engine life (after extended high speed or maximum GVW operation), it is recommended that a hot engine be allowed to operate at low idle for about 7–10 minutes which would allow sufficient time for the turbocharged engine to cool down."
Another option is installing either an engine oil temp gauge or getting a "Turbo Saver" it doesn't shut down the engine until it has reach a safe temp. When I'm towing and I know it's been running hard I always let it idle for a few minutes, and when I stop at a rest area I will leave the truck running and me and the family will rotate using the restrooms so the truck is never unattended. It is really just using common sense IMHO.

Here is a link for some gauges, they also sell more options for gauges and their customer service is outstanding

http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges/fo..._ford_9903.asp
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Andymon

http://www.powerstroke.org is a good resource also.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

JRTJH, thanks for pointing that out, I found it. Can I blame myself for having read thru it 10 years ago and not since.. I always do the cool down on travels and copy Hansels routine at reststops. Hope to get that engine to last as long as possible.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

The only reason I remember where it was is because I had a 93 NA 7.3L and a 99 turbo 7.3L. For some reason I can remember that kind of stuff, but like Hank, I can't remember if I had a cup of coffee this morning, or where I put the cup when I finished....

Anyway...Both of them felt "indestructible" and never let me down. I did make a mistake on the first time I posted in this thread. The 93 had an E4OD transmission. The 99 (and the OP's 2000 have 4R100 transmissions. There's probably not a "hill of beans" difference in them, but the 4R100 was supposed to be a much more durable transmission. Of course by today's standards, that's probably not saying too much now, is it? LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Jables

They're very similar. The e4od had a simpler torque convertor & lockup strategy. & a few other changes that enhanced durability. You could make a bible out of the service bulletins from the first few years of e4od's.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote