Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
hamilton71801

2013 Hornet fifth wheel

I'm picking this up next week and I've got some hitch questions. This trailer doesn't have the fancy turning radius front and I have a Dodge with a 6.5' bed. The dealer says a GN adapter is all I'll need but I'm going to splurge on an actual fiver hitch. So to the question, will I need a slider? Dealer says I won't but I don't want to take his word since he's already told me a GN would be ideal.
hamilton71801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Hornet has the Filon front cap (same as Springdale). We had a Springdale fifth wheel which is constructed much the same. I towed with a F150 "standard bed" (6.5'). We did not have a sliding hitch and I never had any issues with the trailer coming close to the cab. I did have some places I had to jockey the trailer several times to get into a spot. A sliding hitch would have made it easier, but I don't think it would (in my opinion) have been mandatory. In my experiences, I didn't "need" a sliding hitch, but could have made things simpler if I did have it.

If I were you and was buying the entire rig, I would talk to the dealer. There may be some "negotiation room" with the dealer. You might be able to get him to install a sliding hitch for the price of a gooseneck or standard fifth wheel hitch. Or maybe get him to sell you one at cost plus installation. My preference would be the fifth wheel setup (standard or sliding) over a gooseneck. That way you don't have safety chains to contend with.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
hamilton71801

Thanks for the insight. The only reason he suggested the GN is because I already have a ball in my truck, although I've never used it-it came with it when I bought it. My main concern with a GN is the turning radius and I plan on putting on a receiver to haul a small ATV trailer and I'm afraid the additional weight might put too much stress on the pin box. Maybe I'm worrying too much, I have that problem...
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you are planning to double tow, you need to carefully check your state's towing regulations. In many states you can only tow a second trailer if you are using a fifth wheel hitch. Many states restrict all "ball type" hitches from double towing. A gooseneck is a "ball type" hitch. And then, even if your state does allow tandem towing with a GN, do the states you want to travel through?

I'd do some serious research before making that commitment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
hamilton71801

AR is ball to ball legal but I never thought about the GN being considered a ball. Great point, makes the fifth wheel hitch option sound even better.