Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
gruehle

Unhappy Chucking with Cougar 327 RES High Country

Just towed our new 2014 327 RES (High Country pkg.) with my 2008 F-350 Dually. This is my first time to tow a fifth wheel. We installed the B&W companion hitch as I bought the truck used and the prior owner already had a B&W ball hitch for their goose neck. The dealer said this would give us the smoothest ride with the least amount of chucking. I had also bought the truck used, which is in great shape but not sure if the shocks were ever replaced. It has 132k miles in it and does have some bounce on rough roads or bumpy highways. That was extremely exaggerated when I hooked up the fifth wheel. On smooth pavement, everything is really great but on the parts of the highway where it has those waves of uneven pavement, the chucking is terrible.

Is this an issue with the shocks on my truck or is this something I have to live with when pulling a fifth wheel. I've also heard all types of options with putting air shocks on my truck. Everyone I've talked to that has a fifth wheel tells me, it's the best thing since sliced bread compared to bumper or receiver pull trailers, but this chucking issue is not fun. I think the hitch weight of the trailer is 1545lbs. We are going to add the washer dryer combo which goes in the front so that will add a little more weight up there.

Looking forward to some great advice. Thanks :-)
gruehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

gruehl -
As you have found out, chucking becomes exaggerated when going over rough or uneven pavement. The amount of chucking may be lessened by installing a pin box such as MorRyde, Trail Aire or 5th Airborne which are designed to reduce the amount of chucking taking place. Some report a significant reduction while others may experience only a slight decrease.
You may have also come across "porpoising" which is caused by the uneven pavement producing differences in the vertical travel of the two units. The truck may be going up while the 5th wheel is heading downward. This is quite normal and once you get back on a stretch of flat, even pavement the porpoising will disappear.
Differences in pin weight may also effect chucking as some have found that by moving the cargo around or adding more weight will have a positive effect.
I'm not sure if replacing your truck's shock absorbers would reduce the chucking. Others might want to comment on that.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
EricLynnAllison

My RV is a lot heavier, but our first few trips the chucking was unbearable. It was like someone was hitting the truck with a sledge hammer at each bump. I added the MorRide Triple Glide and what a difference. I now get a small rocking motion at each of the bumps. I wish now I would have changed and gone to an air ride hitch system in the truck in case I ever want to pull a different trailer. I too have the B&W 5th wheel adapter.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
gruehle

Thanks for suggestions guys. After I posted this, I did more online research and saw many types of things related to what you said. Sounds like the mor/ryde may be an excellent option.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruehle View Post
Thanks for suggestions guys. After I posted this, I did more online research and saw many types of things related to what you said. Sounds like the mor/ryde may be an excellent option.

Thanks
Regardless of whether or not you "upgrade" your pin box, which is your $$ to spend as you please, be sure to get some decent shocks on the rear of that truck. Worn out shocks will cause you many more problems than just a bit of banging and bouncing at your hitch. Trying to stop, emergency maneuver or slow down a massive amount of RV behind you demands that all of your suspension components, brakes, drive train etc etc be in better than just "good enough" condition. K, 'nuff nagging!

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruehle View Post

Thanks
When you step back and think about it objectively, you "might" need to finally get an upgraded pinbox or hitch, but reflect for a moment, there are thousands of fifth wheels that get towed all over the US and Canada that don't need this upgrade to tow satisfactorily. Sure there are some which can't be towed without chucking, some owners who just want the "best tow possible" and some who just get it because someone else thought they needed it. But, for every one that "must have" the upgraded pinbox/hitch, there are literally thousands that don't. Statistically you most likely can resolve your chucking without buying a new pinbox/hitch.

I'd urge you to do some experimenting with shocks (which you probably need anyway) and then with loading, adjustment to your current hitch, and other actions that have been suggested before you resign to the costly outlay for a pinbox or hitch that you may not need.

Just my thoughts, but of course it's your wallet and ultimately your decision.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
rhagfo

I would strongly suggest replacing the shocks, and you will need to spend a few $$$ on them. I like many others have installed Bilstien shocks, I went with the 5100 even though my truck is not lifted. Night and day difference in ride. Does the 5er have shocks, if not I would install also, this was part two, and the ride is now so smooth!!
As a side note, check your pin (hitch) weight, it should be very close to 20% to 25% of the total weight of the trailer.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #8
unyalli

I had the mor/ryde pin box installed at the dealer before picking up my 2014 Cougar 326SRX. I also have Rancho rs9000 adjustable shocks all around and Airlift Loadlifter 5000 air bags. With air bags inflated so truck sits level and the rancho's at full hard in the rear and one click down from full hard in the front I have no chucking what so ever. Additionally I moved my companion up-rights to the most forward position to more center the saddle over the axle.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
gruehle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L123 View Post
Regardless of whether or not you "upgrade" your pin box, which is your $$ to spend as you please, be sure to get some decent shocks on the rear of that truck. Worn out shocks will cause you many more problems than just a bit of banging and bouncing at your hitch. Trying to stop, emergency maneuver or slow down a massive amount of RV behind you demands that all of your suspension components, brakes, drive train etc etc be in better than just "good enough" condition. K, 'nuff nagging!

Cheers!

Mike
Thanks for the tips. I've already talked to my mechanic about putting new shocks all around on the truck. I will probably go with Bilstein and then see how the trailer does before making any changes to the pin box.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Badlands Dog

We have a 2012 327RES we bought a year ago. previously, we had a Keystone Everest with a very heavy pin weight, about 2400 lbs which sagged the rear of the pickup by about 1.5 inches. When towing, the rear kitchen would about empty itself on the floor. I installed Pac Air air bags on the rear axle (easy to do) and this allowed me to level the 2007 2500 Silverado (Classic) very well. This did improve the ride, but still needed more improvement. Your model has a very light pin weight and you shouldn't need air bags, especially if you can adjust your shocks. I then bought an Air Safe air ride fifth wheel hitch and never regretted it. I considered an air pinbox, but wanted something I could keep if I sold the camper; otherwise, I would have gone with the pinbox at about half the cost of the hitch. I don't have experience with the air ride pinbox, and I don't think it has as much vertical travel as the hitch, but all who have them are very happy with their decision. Either way, your trailer and pickup will ride very well and I feel this will provide you your greatest ride quality for the money spent-you will not be dissatisfied!

Here are two very important factors in reducing chucking: SLOW DOWN, and level the camper and vehicle. If you are not level, nothing will help reduce chucking. Chucking is very hard on the transmission of the TV as it creates fore and aft directions suddenly, and chucking also beats up the integrity of the trailer. Spending $1000-2200 in this respect seems cheap compared to ruining a tranny or compromising the integrity of your trailer frame. However, rough roads and chuckholes will still be bumps, but they will be greatly reduced. Good luck with your purchase!
Badlands Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air shocks, chucking, towing