Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Icemo303

Cold weather refrigerator ops

Hi all. I'm living full time in my Fuzion 342 in Casper, WY. Winter is here and not only am I new to living in the rig full time, I'm also new to the true cold of winter as I transplanted from central CA. A cold snap of -19 F came through recently and I think that is the cause of my fridge and freezer not functioning as it was working fine before and quit after that. The lights on the front panel still work just like they did all summer indicating power source etc. but there is no cooling in the unit. I thought it might start working again as temps recently were above freezing for a few days but it didn't. Any thoughts?
Icemo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
hankaye

Icemo303, Howdy;

First Welcome to the forum

Have you checked the switch for the condensation control. Usually in the top
of the freezer door. Something you may have turned ON while in Ca. but
far from necessary in your present circumstances. Just a thought...
I used to live in Central Utah in a valley that was kooooold! Don't think I ever
lost the use of either fridge or freezer so I'm just taking a stab at it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Icemo303

I checked for the switch but it is either microscopic or nonexistent. I have a dometic unit with either gas or A/C power supply.
Thanks for the quick response. Any other ideas?
Icemo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
jsmith948

You might want to check the fuses located in the black plastic box in the outside refer compartment. Are you hooked up to shore power? Do you have 120V at the plug in the outside compartment? Is your battery/converter supplying the necessary 12V to the refer control board? If all of that is good, you may have a problem with the control board. If you haven't done a forum search, you might try that. There were several posts regarding refer problems.
Good luck and please let everyone know what you find.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
outwest

are you trying to run it on propane or electric? Reason I ask, it's possible that it's so cold outside that the thermal sensor thinks fridge is not getting lit and is shutting off the propane.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
hankaye

Icemo303, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You might want to check the fuses located in the black plastic box in the outside refer compartment. Are you hooked up to shore power? Do you have 120V at the plug in the outside compartment? Is your battery/converter supplying the necessary 12V to the refer control board? If all of that is good, you may have a problem with the control board. If you haven't done a forum search, you might try that. There were several posts regarding refer problems.
Good luck and please let everyone know what you find.
The above is a good second thought... The main thing here is there are 2 fuses
in the control module, a 3 amp and a 10 amp. the 3 amp is for the 12 vdc side
and controls the fridge. In other words no 12 vdc NO operation at all.
The control mod. is accessed from outside from the fridge vent. Look for a
small black box (mine is on the left side of the access hole), about 4" square held in place by 2 Phillips screws.
Good luck.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Icemo303

Well.... I'm not sure what I actually did to fix the problem but my fridge and freezer are operational again. I removed the outside cover, cleared out some snow and dirt, pulled the 5 and 3 amp fuses (which were fine) and put them back in. I switched between propane and a/c power a few times to make sure it lit off with the propane and then left it on a/c power overnight. This morning it's cold in there and seems to be operational. Gremlins be gone..... for now.

Thanks everyone for the help. What a learning experience this is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	4680