Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
IdahoSRT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04z71 View Post
so i decided to purchase a new springdale after about a month of (wrong) research. after being jerked around by the dealer i just wanted it to be over already (pull the trigger and end the suffering) since that day i have not heard a peep from them or keystone

First day :fuse blew out for the slide

First week: electric stabilizer jack in the rear driver side folded down. passenger side front jack is pinched

Second week (first actual trip) propane smell by the tanks
cabinet door screws that mount to the cabinet are striped

End of trip (dumping) my great friends provided a supply box with the trailer with a waste hose. This Awesome bunch of folks unfortunately decided to forget the actual fitting that locks the hose to the trailer............thanks guys

Thank you the guys behind me that let me use there hose

As of today

4 weeks to get it in and it still may not be covered

Anyone have another solution besides getting an attorney?

Thank you

On the surface it appears 75% of your issues are caused by you. The dealer is not taking you seriously because of your own actions. It's all part of the life learning process.
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
Old 09-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
therink

While I feel for the OP frustrations, I thing there are many unsuspecting new rv owners who don't realize that rvs are not built to the standards of automobiles or say boats. The truth is that most rvs are built to a minimal quality standard and all have their issues.
I have found that having basic skills to fix minor issues myself with the skills I have is much easier that dropping it off at the dealer for weeks, just non have a piece of loose molding fixed orna stripped screw repaired.
It is not anyone's fault when these things happen. They just do.
As as RV owner, I believe it is my responsibility to do a thorough PDI before I buy it. By doing this, most of the nit picky things can be repaired before the first time I use it.

Frame and axle issues are another thing

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
randy69

I agree with fixing the small things yourself. Since 2010, I had to fix something after every trip. Can you imagine how many trips to mike Thomson I would have made?. Ya I could make a list but it would be a bit long. My feelings about the people that put these things together are uneducated and probably get paid by piece work. And my feelings about mike Thomson in Colton, they have the poorest service department I had ever experience. Or should I say, the actual mechanics. Ok I said some negitive things. Here the positive.
I love my raptor 361 lev.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
IdahoSRT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I agree with fixing the small things yourself. Since 2010, I had to fix something after every trip. Can you imagine how many trips to mike Thomson I would have made?. Ya I could make a list but it would be a bit long. My feelings about the people that put these things together are uneducated and probably get paid by piece work. And my feelings about mike Thomson in Colton, they have the poorest service department I had ever experience. Or should I say, the actual mechanics. Ok I said some negitive things. Here the positive.
I beleive Mike Thompson has the abilty to give you the best deal on a new RV...compaired to the smaller local dealers. I'm shopping for Motorhomes and they beat the dealers around here my $10k.
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
My feelings about the people that put these things together are uneducated and probably get paid by piece work.
I don't know what Keystone has set as a minimum education in order to work on the assembly line at their plants. I wouldn't think a university degree would be at all necessary and perhaps even HS graduation may not be required.

You don't need a lot of formal education to work on an assembly line. After a short on-the-job training session, I am sure they assign a worker a specific and very repetitive task and that is all he/she does for the entire shift day-in, day-out. It's not "rocket science" and as long as that person performs that task satisfactorily and keeps the line moving along, that's about all that is needed.

I would suspect that the workers also get paid on an hourly/weekly/monthly basis rather than piece meal. It's not as if that worker is assembling the entire RV and gets paid according to the number of RV's he cranks out.

Glad to hear that you still love your Raptor
Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
buzzcop63

Bought my Cougar March of 2012, so far I have replaced about six screws in the kitchen cabinets as they are too short and can work loose. Took in one of my locks for the pass through and Curtis Trailer of Aloha Oregon gave me a new one no charge, they are my dealer. Oh, and I overloaded the 30 amp main fuse, but all that took to repair was to re-set it after it cooled down. Do not know why it opened up, I only had some 40 amps going in the trailer?

So far I can find nothing to complain about my dealer, set up that they did or the quality of the trailer. Wife and I are very happy campers and Curtis Trailer has been excellent to deal with, they even provided a night class on how to use and keep up the trailer.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #27
rosede

I live in Omaha, Nebraska and purchased my Outback from Rich and Son's in Grand Island, Ne., two hour drive away. I have nothing but good comments to make about Rich and Son's. I shopped all of the dealers in the Omaha metro area for two years. None of the dealers wanted to deal. They all low balled me on my trade in and just wouldn't come down in price on the campers that I was looking at. I had one dealer tell me that he didn't have to deal because it was a sellers market. Needless to say, I'd never go back to that dealer.

My daughter and family live in Grand Island. My wife went there with our first camper a year and a half ago. We were camping at a campground near Rich and Son's, so I decided one day to see what they have to offer. I was showed several models, but didn't make a decision until August a year ago. When I finally settled on my camper, they bent over backwards to deal. I got what the size, style and features that I wanted. They gave me what I wanted for my trade, and brought the price down to what I was looking for. When I walked out of there, I was extremely pleased with my deal.

Last fall, about two months after I brought the camper home, I received a call from the dealer. I was informed that there were several items on there that were supposed to have been fixed prior to my picking up the camper. Since I live two hours away, and the dealer needed me to bring it back, they winterized my camper, and washed it for me, all for free.

Back in August, I noticed the front cap was fading, and contacted my dealer. They had me take pictures which they sent into Keystone. Keystone had me take it to a local body shop for an estimate. I was expecting on a fight with Keystone, because I was at the end of my one year warranty, but to my surprise, they authorized the repaint. The repainting was completed two weeks ago, and I just found out that the decals are now ready to be put on.

With that said, I have found several issue's that disappointed me, but as someone else on this thread pointed out, that these campers are not built to an extremely high standard. Over all, I am very happy. The dealer was great, and if you live in Nebraska, I'd highly recommend them to anyone. I am very happy with Keystone. There were several issues that they resolved for me with no argument. I am disappointed with a couple of items, but those items are easily resolved, and I can take care of them myself.

Daryl

Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
Bugle Boy

I will jump on the we love our Cougar wagon here.

I found this forum after we had agreed on a trade deal at Camping World and ordered our 2013 Cougar 31RKS.

As we were awaiting delivery, I read these horror stories and began to fear that we may have made a big mistake going with the Keystone Cougar. We looked, inspected and studied for months and ordered the Cougar because we liked what we saw and Jan loves the floor plan of the 31RKS.

Well, although we ordered a 2013, we got a 2014. We gave it a complete PDI then took it to Cooper Creek campground in Branson. We found only one issue on that shakedown cruise. There was no gas hose for the Aussie Grill.
Stopped by Camping World on the way home and they gave us a new hose.

The only issue we have had really is that we found the light over the dining table on the floor after a trip to Pennsylvania. Camping World has ordered another one. This had nothing to do with Keystone. The spot welds on the lamp assembly had broken loose.

After 3500 miles we are very happy with both Camping World and our Keystone Cougar.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
COATED

Quote:
Agreed.....I'm in Corona. Just bought a Raptor 332ts. LOVE it. After two 'tester' trips. Couple little fixes here and there already. This is my 2nd RV. Had the last one for 10 years. Loved it too but fixed it alot. Bought my Raptor from Colton Mike Thompsons. Great sales guy. No comment on the 'finance' guy. Anyhow....learn to fix/work on your own RV's. Really not that hard on most things.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COATED View Post
No comment on the 'finance' guy.
I don't think anyone likes the finance guy. His main job is to sell you everything you don't want and he always uses a hard sell tactics.

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Floton

It is too bad that some have problems. Fortunately, I am not one of them. I am on my fourth Keystone unit and all have been mostly problem free ( I caused a few problems myself).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #32
04z71

So the issue im having is more to do with the dealer then keystone......

I think the best advice i could give to any one looking for a new trailer would be to call the dealer and tell them you just took ownership of a new trailer and you had some questions. and see how they treat you. as far as the trailer it self i cant really complain (more) cause i cant use it. i will be taking it in on the 12th to wonderful mike Thompson off road. i will be taking a video of the entire trailer to make sure these clowns dont have sticky hands or fat fingers
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're so mis-trusting of the dealership as to call them "clowns with sticky hands or fat fingers" it might be in your best interest to not take it there for service, but to find another dealership that you trust with your investment. Through the years I've found that people usually get service based on the way they treat the people at the dealership and the image they project.... Remember the "catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" statement? It really REALLY is accurate.

If, by chance, a technician or service manager from that dealership just happened to read your posts on here and figure out who you are....... You should remember that the internet is not really as "anonymous" as some people think.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #34
04z71

Theres no dealers in my area that service keystones ( especially ones they didnt sell) so ive been told

good, i hope they can read. Those sticky comments where made as a reference left by other customers that have had work done there

oh and btw super mod guy

i was pretty cool and tried my best to be understanding for about a month. when i was getting no help from the several calls to service and sales thats when i decided to change my tone.

heads up: ive worked in the auto industry for a long time and you know what happens when you treat a customer like this.... they go somewhere else. put that in your pocket.

so if it was me at the least i would have tried to get the trailer in a fast as possible and or try to offer something as a consolation ( i am paying 300 bucks a month for this thing to take up space)
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck You'll probably need it

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
So Cal CPA

I bought my cougar 28rbs from Mike Thompson rv in Santa Fe springs over Labor Day. Sales guy was good, finance guy was good. no complaints. If you think the "starter kit" is everything you need you are expecting way too much. Some things are useful but not all. Especially the sewar hose.

Like others said you can expect to fix things here and there but as long as the major components work and it doesn't leak be happy with it. Rvs are not made to car standards and they twist and bounce a lot while going down the road.

Nonetheless good luck and wish you the best.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #37
theeyres

I think it is just the ol' thing about those that have problems seems to complain more...nothing wrong with that...it is just the way it is. I've now had two Keystone trailers and have nothing but good to say about them. No problems, to speak of.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #38
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Good Luck You'll probably need it
X2 - FWIW, the DW and I bought our Cougar from Mike Thompsons's Colton - actually purchased it at the Pomona RV Show. Got a GREAT deal, treated well by everyone, including the finance guy. The start-up package was nice - didn't expect to get anything like that after the deal we made. One warranty issue with one of the slides (knock on wood)- Will probably do business there again.
Happy, Happy, Happy!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #39
billb800si

We've taken factory tours of RV manufacturers in Indiana. They all have stated that the "Amish" (?) workers are paid on "piece meal". When they have accomplished their total requirement that day they are allowed to go home and work their farms (etc...)

The little things I fix myself- major ones I take back to my dealer. Dealers are important!!!!

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
We've taken factory tours of RV manufacturers in Indiana. They all have stated that the "Amish" (?) workers are paid on "piece meal". When they have accomplished their total requirement that day they are allowed to go home and work their farms (etc...)

The little things I fix myself- major ones I take back to my dealer. Dealers are important!!!!
They certainly are. If you "torque them off" or "poop in their wheaties," you're going to live to regret it. Respect, appreciation and understanding for those who work on your rig will get you miles further ahead of the guy who goes in with a demeaning attitude and a point to prove!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread