Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
homer3

Flag Poles

The other day I purchased a flag pole for the rv "Buddy Pole 2.0." Today after work I installed and hoisted the stars and stripes. Wow this was impressive. Easy to install and remove on high winds. But to see how well the stars and stripes looked up there above my 5er was a great sight. Highly suggest this pole.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

I want to get a flag going for my TT but have no ladder to mount one on. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
richf28

I bought my flag pole from Harbor Freight. I took a foot pedestal from a tongue jack which I drilled a couple holes opposite each other in order to put tent stakes through into the ground o it don't slip around. I connected the pole to the pedestal by going to an auto supply store and getting a short exhaust pipe extension that is sized differently on each end. I attach this with bungee cords to the front hitch. Easily taken apart and stored away. If interested I could take pics

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
crash

We have the flag pole buddy on ours w/ the 16ft pole and I added a solor light to the top of the ladder to shine on ole glory at night
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
mikell

We were at a gathering last weekend and someone had a huge flag between 2 trees. it was lit at night and at one point I think there was about 40 people posing for the camera in front of it with room to spare
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Flag Pole Buddy

Very satisfied with mine. After 2 years, flying at almost every stop and weather condition, pole would not slide together. I called the seller ( west coast ) paid shipping and received a new pole in 5 days. Fixed my situation by now taking a minute and putting a small piece of clear tape around the extension joint. Great product.
Super simple on and off the rv. Like < 2 minutes.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
chain_dogg

Here ya go, everything you need, many types of holders and poles and flags

http://www.polesandholders.com/home.php

Quick link to holders....

http://www.polesandholders.com/home.php?cat=2
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
KJcachers

This what I use on our Bullet. I put the holder under the tongue jack during setup. Works perfect for us!

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-51606-Fi...ds=Flagpole+RV
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
KJcachers

Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
Mark TC

I have to get one of these for my TT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
S&Dfz331

I would like to try one of these buddy poles. I have used a flag pole from Harbor freight the twist lock for the sections are stuck and the clips all broke and it would collapse in the wind. So I bought a 22' pole from Poles and holders that snapped in two from high winds. I use mine for home and camping I had a buddy make me a mount that goes under my rear scissor jack and I have a metal pipe in the ground at the house for easy removal.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Bugle Boy

Great topic.

Regarding lighting, the United States Flag Code requires that when flown in hours of darkness the flag is to be illuminated.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

I was just on the Flag Pole Buddy web site and they sell a nice light kit for the top of the pole that shines down on Old Glory. I see several flags at the camp ground with out a light at night. I just leave them a copy of the code as to respect for the flag. thanks for posting the concern. Let the flag Wave!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
crash

Thats why we have the solor light mounted to the top of the ladder and I keep a spare plug in light mounted to a 2x8 that i can put on the ground and shine up if anything goes wrong with the solor light
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The United States Flag Code is not law, it's a "protocol" which recommends the appropriate way to fly the flag. It's not a requirement. If it were, you couldn't buy "flag underwear, tee shirts and jackets."

If you think about it, when Frances Scott Key was imprisoned on that ship and wrote the words to the National Anthem, there wasn't any electricity to illuminate the flag that he saw "through the dawn's early light" Apparently that flag had been flying through the darkness, torn and tattered to be seen as the first rays of the sun began to bring it out of darkness.

Protocol, not law suggests that the flag, if flown at night, be illuminated. Getting into a "tizzy" about someone not having a light on the flag at night is akin to leaving one of those "May your windshield always be adorned with camel dung" cards under the wiper of a car that's parked taking up two parking spaces.....

Thank goodness we live in a part of the world where people aren't carted off to prison for not following "suggested best ways to display the flag."

Sometimes being a "critical patriot" isn't the best course of action. Pick your battles, we've got a lot of bigger issues that need the energy to resolve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
SAABDOCTOR

SORRY! but i was drilled to honor the flag with a light and i hate push ups. I do know it's prtocall not law just like leaving yor hat on durning the national anthem and not putting your hand over your heart. Just something it was brought up with and it hurts to see it disrespected. just me. i am not preaching I my or may not agree with congress at this time but I do love the USA.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Barney,

I remember back when all TV's were black and white (I actually remember watching the first Sylvania Green and White set with a round screen)....

Back then, they broadcasted the test pattern with the Indian in the middle for about 10 minutes, then played the National Anthem. We all stood in our living rooms with our hand over our heart while it was playing. I still do, but not quite as dramatically as back then. Now I just find a reason to stand and don't sit back down until it's over.

I agree with your sentiment, I feel the same and follow the protocol for myself. But a part of the "freedoms we enjoy" is being allowed to choose not to follow those protocols......

It's sort of like: Do you close your eyes when the preacher prays or do you watch to see what others are doing so you know if they are following the protocol?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

wow test patterns yep my father made me stand too.Gotta love it. i am just an old fart can't help it! kinda like why do i have to press 1 for English? or as the comedian Gallahger said... why are there mail box's at the post office, your all ready there!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Bugle Boy

If the "tizzy" was referring to my post, I was simply pointing out the "protocol."

Perhaps I should not have used the word "requirement."

The Flag Code states in Section 6 (a)

"It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness."

"And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there."
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
SAABDOCTOR

YEA BUT IN CONNECTICUT If the rockets red glare and the bombs were bursting in air... the only proof we would have is the flag on the wall of the jail house i was now in..ha ha ha