Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
MooseMan

Bypassing the outdoor shower

Has anyone successfully installed a bypass to their outdoor shower? We have a 2650BH and I'd like to winterize the shower and never summerize it. It should make the trailer faster to winterize overall, and allow for quicker startup / winterizing if we were to make some unplanned fall trips where it might get cold.

Just wondering if this has been done and what size valves, / hoses, etc might be involved.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Javi

I didn't bypass but I did install cutoff valves in both the hot and cold lines to the outside shower as we have only used it once in the past year and a half and that to give the dogs a bath after they rolled in a dead fish at the beach.

I picked up the PEX valves from my local RV dealer and it took all of 10 minutes to cut the PEX line and install the valves.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
webslave

Go to your local hardware store and ask for a pair of Sharkbite stop valves(1/2"). Cut the PEX line straight near the outside shower connections(near where they "T" off the main lines, you have to leave 1" on the PEX to allow the Sharkbite to be attached) and pop the Sharbite valves on (they are a press fit; no wrenches required). Next time you winterize, have the valves open, then after running the antifreeze through the shower, close the Sharkbite valves. That will trap the antifreeze in the lines between the Sharkbite valves and the shower fitting. If you aren't ready to winterize yet and want them "weatherproofed" before hand, just drain the water out of the lines from the cut to the shower fitting and install the Sharkbite valves in the closed position. You'll then have air in the lines from the valves to the shower fitting and that takes care of the "winterizing" of those two lines and you won't have to worry about them when you are ready to winterize.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Not having kids with us, an outside shower seems like such a watste on an RV. I'm glad our current RV doesn't have the traditional outside shower behind the small plastic door.

On our last 3 RVs, they all had that type. I think combined, it was used 2 times in the last 12 years or so? LOL
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Bluewater

I've found that if I do not use the outside shower the antifreeze stays in the lnie all year so no need to rewinterize.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
MooseMan

Perfect. Sounds like 1/2" pex and I can get the valves @ home depot. Anyone familiar with the 2650 BH? Would I access that via the panel in the bathroom under the shower or by removing the outdoor shower housing entirely?