Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
GaryWT

Adding speakers

OK, I did my mods at the beginning of the season but it seems every time out we have a new on. Our Premier has the shared TV in the living area and bedroom. It also has shared DVD player as most do with the radio. The campground this week did not have cable nor could you get any channels on the TV so my wife put a movie on when she went to bed. The movie plays through the radio speakers and there are no speakers in the bedroom. The A speakers play in the living area and the C speakers are outside but nothing is connected to B. Our son complained because we had to turn the sound up to hear in the bedroom. Looks like I am finding some speakers to mount in the bedroom.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Randy_K

When I bought our Passport Elite 23RB at the show we saw the "pre production " model. One of the things I liked was the extra speakers inside. When time came to pick ours up , a few things had changed including the removal of the two speakers on the "B" channel. The dealer told me it would be hard and expensive to add them. They offered to give it a try if I brought the trailer back in 6 months when they are slow.

Let me know how you make out with your mod.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Can't you get audio from the tv speakers??? Or use "B" out put to an aux. input on tv ??? This would seem to me as easiest solution if possible with your tv. JM2˘, Hank

If you go into the tv's setup menu you should be able to select the audio from the DVD player.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
audio1der

Interesting. Our 'C' has nothing attached, and we have talked about using it for some small speakers in the bedroom for the same reason.
A 3rd exterior speaker towards the rear of the trailer would be nice as well... more jobs LOL
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
zenbuck

I'm going to have to try this when I get home.....

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
AdkWoody

That's interesting. Our speakers are - A inside, C outside, B both inside and outside. But, the tv is only used in the living area. The bedrooms each have their own hook ups. I would look to see if you can get sound out of the tv speakers myself. That would be the most ost effective route in my opinion. Good luck!

Mods to come....

Door stops for bathroom and bedroom doors.

12V receptacles in bedrooms, kitchen and entertainment center.

L.E.D. bulb replacement throughout.

Sewer hose holder (I don't like it in the bumper)
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
michol02

You could use wireless headphones. When the headphone base is plugged into the tv, it mutes the tv speakers, so it won't bother anyone else. It may work the same by plugging it into the DVD/radio. I have 2 sets I bought at "Wally World" and they both work on the same frequency, so I only have to plug 1 base into the tv for both headsets to work. Just throwing out a different option.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
zenbuck

Same problem here... The rca plugs L, R, are connectected to the tv.. I have to pull the head unit to see where they are connected.. If there is AV out and in, perhaps they are hooked up wrong.. The system may also just bypass the connections. There may be a menu setting on the unit for that as well.. I'll get a chance tonight to look at it again..

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
zenbuck

Connections were ok... Just a poor design.. The only way to get audio when watching a DVD into the bedroom will be to add a set of speakers to B.. I am going to look for a surface mount speaker to go above the swivel mount...

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

You should have a red, white and yellow video and audio output from the DVD to the TV. If so you have to change the audio source in the menu setting of the TV to that input. It is a pain but you will have to do that and than switch it back when you want to watch regular TV. If these are not connected you can run the audio to the TV yourself...... Pro: cheaper and easier ... Con: only works for DVD and most likely not radio. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Whohasucovered

We experienced the same thing this past weekend. It was driving me nuts as I was looking at the red/white cables hooked into the audio input on the TV but still no sound. I was thinking I was going to have to take apart the enclosure around the player to see if they had mixed up the output. Seems that Zenbuck already looked into that, thank you.

Whohasucovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
TandE

What I found on both my trailers dvd player was that it had one video (yellow) output and a left and right (red and white) audio INPUT not and audio ouput for the cables. The only audio out on mine is the speaker wires. So if yours is like mine the audio wires connected to the tv will do nothing unless they are connected to an audio output on the TV itself so you can have audio even watching normal tv. Again this is on my type of radio in the trailer.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
GaryWT

OK, have not found what I want yet but I have done some looking around in the trailer. The A buttom is for inside, the C for outside, both in for both. The B wires are untouched on the stereo as I pulled it out the other day. There is the normal 3 wire plug for sound and picture from the stereo to the TV. I have played with both the stereo and TV remotes on the set up menus to get the sound to work on the tv steakers. Cannot get that to happen no matter what I try. Read the Jensen guide but no help there. As far as watching tv it works fine, when watch a movie, that is where the speakers in the main cabin is the onlt sound for the bedroom.

At first the wife wanted a tv put into the bedroom, then she wanted speakers, now she wants car type speaks and for me to cut holes in the cabinet about the tv to install.

Will continue to play to decide what we do.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
zenbuck

Another option is to use a different DVD player hooked directly to the tv... Unplug the yellow, red, and white rca jacks from the head unit and plug in to the other dvd player and the tv speakers will work just fine...
I'm going to look for some type of surface mount speakers as I really do not want to cut into the cabinets.... There are 2 sets of speaker wire for channel B that are not used.. Orange & brown

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
GaryWT

Just looked again, the connections on the dvd player are video out and audio in so I guess we will never get sound out...

So, yes I do not want to cut holes myself so... if we just use a different dvd player then we will have the tv sound for either the living room or the bedroom, or find a small pair of surface skeakers and install them to the B wires. Will have to think about that as a new dvd player could also double for when we have fireside movies and connect it to the projector we have.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
GaryWT

Bought a DVD player, all set now.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Whohasucovered

I'm going to take an old pair of computer speakers and plug into the headphone/auxiliary input and see what happens. I'm guessing that should work as well.

Whohasucovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
zenbuck

Guess what I did?... Speaker B now works... I did the cut outs on either side on the top cabinet in the bedroom.. I had replaced the A speakers in the ceiling with a set of 3 ways last week so I had an extra set.. They do sound good.. Need to paint the grills to match the wood grain and I'm set...

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #19
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbuck View Post
Guess what I did?... Speaker B now works... I did the cut outs on either side on the top cabinet in the bedroom.. I had replaced the A speakers in the ceiling with a set of 3 ways last week so I had an extra set.. They do sound good.. Need to paint the grills to match the wood grain and I'm set...

I need to show your pic to the wife. Some decent 5 1/4" coaxials would work great (or cheap, used stuff off ebay/Kijiji).
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
zenbuck

Now in brown...

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500