Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
michol02

RV wash

Washed the camper today. I was brain storming and decided to try something different. I mixed some Oxy-clean powder(comes in a small tub found by the washing powder) with hot water in a bucket and applied it with a brush. WOW!!! It removed all the black streaks quickly and easily, with the exception of the stains on the roof from the AC drain which I let soak for about 10 minutes then scrubbed right off. It didn't remove the mildew stains on the roof and trim, but it faded them considerably. In the past, I used RV wash mixed with either bleach or Black Streak remover which did ok, but not nearly as good and quick as the Oxy-clean. I'm sure there's other products out there that do just as good, but this one is cheap and easy. I didn't see anything in the directions that indicated it would harm the roof or finish.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
SlowPoke

Nice, I'll have to give that a shot...Started washing mine today, but the 40mph gusts just kept throwing the spray back in my faced. So I threw it all back in the shed, for a calmer day.

Thanks for the tip!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
geo

Michol02 -

Amazing what sodium carbonate can do, isn't it? As we use to say, "Live better chemically!".

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

It looks like Oxi-Clean's "active" ingredients are sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate and a solidified form of hydrogen peroxide. Is there someone on here who knows whether or not any of these might be harmful to the EPDM rubber roof?

Where are you Geo??
Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2, You ask, "Where are you Geo?" Last I saw him, he was out back mixing sodium carbonate and olive oil. I would have NO IDEA why he might be doing that.......

My only concern with using Oxi-clean on the EPDM is that it's a pretty strong alkaline solution and may cause "chalking" over time. I have no experience wtih using it on the roof, but would be hesitant to put it on mine. Really, Dawn does such a great job on the roof, I haven't found any reason to even look for a "better mousetrap"

Here's a list of the ingredients:
Sodium Carbonate (INCI)
Sodium Carbonate Peroxide
Alcohols, C12-15, Ethoxylated
Silicic Acid, disodium salt, pentahydrate
Polyacrylic Acid (INCI)
Fragrance

The abbreviated MSDS can be found here: https://wercs.churchdwight.com/webvi...ng=language=EN

Oh, and the "Alcohols, C12-15, Ethoxylated" if I'm thinking about the right "additive" is one of the chemical deritives produced from petroleum that's used in hydraulic fracking. So, I'm just not sure I'd want to use it on my EPDM roof.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Bluewater

That has got to greatly harm the fiberglass..way to powerful. Ya, it might clean well but so will most acids. I'll never try it on my 5er.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
howdy
Permanent User Ban

If you wax your trailer to keep it protected, how fast would this solution strip off that wax job you just put on? One reason not to use dish washing soap on your car, boat, or RV if you want to keep that wax job around a little while longer.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
michol02

OK guys, I won't use it on my roof anymore, but I'm going to use it on the sides and monitor them closely for any negative effects(I never wax anyway). I have a gallon of 303 protectant that I use on the roof after I wash it. It says you can use it on fiberglass. Has anyone used 303 on their fiberglass walls?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
ohiocougar

I've used the 303 protectant on the roof and fiberglass walls. I spray a small section and then wipe off. Turns out really nice and makes washing the black streaks of much easier
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
It looks like Oxi-Clean's "active" ingredients are sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate and a solidified form of hydrogen peroxide. Is there someone on here who knows whether or not any of these might be harmful to the EPDM rubber roof?

Where are you Geo??
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Festus2, You ask, "Where are you Geo?" Last I saw him, he was out back mixing sodium carbonate and olive oil. I would have NO IDEA why he might be doing that.......

My only concern with using Oxi-clean on the EPDM is that it's a pretty strong alkaline solution and may cause "chalking" over time. I have no experience wtih using it on the roof, but would be hesitant to put it on mine. Really, Dawn does such a great job on the roof, I haven't found any reason to even look for a "better mousetrap"

Here's a list of the ingredients:
Sodium Carbonate (INCI)
Sodium Carbonate Peroxide
Alcohols, C12-15, Ethoxylated
Silicic Acid, disodium salt, pentahydrate
Polyacrylic Acid (INCI)
Fragrance

The abbreviated MSDS can be found here: https://wercs.churchdwight.com/webvi...ng=language=EN

Oh, and the "Alcohols, C12-15, Ethoxylated" if I'm thinking about the right "additive" is one of the chemical deritives produced from petroleum that's used in hydraulic fracking. So, I'm just not sure I'd want to use it on my EPDM roof.....
Sorry guys, I've been busy! I'm developing this new RV product using non-virgin olive oil, sodium carbonate, vanilla extract, and crushed spearment sprigs. With the right blending, it's proving to clean tanks' sensors, remove crud from waste tanks, give the underbelly that freshy mint feeling, and lubricate the waste valves to the point they can be operated by a single finger pull on the release handle! At $4.95 a gallon, I'll be rich in no time! But if you order within the next 10 minutes, I'll throw in another gallon for just the shipping and handling charge!

No, I wouldn't recommend OxyClean for exterior RV use. Naturally, the Sodium Carbonate would only soften the water and act as a surfacant to reduce any fluid surface tension. But the Sodium Percarbonate is a different matter. When water is added to Sodium Percarbonate, it breaks down into sodium carbonate (OK, not bad) and hydrogen peroxide (not good). Yes, I know that we commonly use hydrogen peroxide in first aid, etc., but we use if for the same reason we shouldn't use it on the EPDM and gelcoat of our RVs. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer - that's what you want to see when you put it on a wound or cut - see it foam, breaking down into water and oxygen - cleaning the wound and oxidizing any nasties that could infect. But that foaming and oxydizing action . . . not sure if that would be good for the EPDM or gelcoat. I would think it would take the protective coating off the gelcoat and defeat any treatment applied to the EPDM to ward off UV.

Now, the Alcohols, C12-15, ethoxylated - moderately toxic if ingested! Keep it away from kids and pets! Used in cleaning solutions, especially in the metal plating industry! Also used as a lubricant and in the formulation of lubricant additives and greases. Causes serious eye damage and is highly toxic to aquatic life. Warnings exist to not release this stuff into the environment. Now, as far as being used in frac fluids, perhaps because of the surfacant and high temp/high pressure lubricant properties - but I do not know this as a fact.

I'll skip the rest. Bottom line, as a cleaner to be spot applied . . . not that bad used in the correct manner. But I don't think I would even spot treat EPDM or gelcoat. Sorry.

What is interesting, is given the above . . . a simple search will turn up examples of people using Oxyclean as a home remedy teeth whitener! No!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
michol02

Point taken Geo. I guess I will go back to the other stuff. I don't want to take a chance of harming the finish, but it suuuure looked nice and white when I got finished with it. I think I will do like Ohiocougar and put 303 Protectant on the walls to try to reduce some of the black streaking. I'm always looking for an easy fix, but I guess sometimes you just gotta put a little elbow grease into it.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Badboy

Simple Green I found out works real good and it is cheap.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy View Post
Simple Green is GREAT stuff. We use it everywhere, from the garage to the kitchen. Removes everything including the tuff stuff like grease and hasn't hurt any surface I have put it on.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Simple Green is GREAT stuff. We use it everywhere, from the garage to the kitchen. Removes everything including the tuff stuff like grease and hasn't hurt any surface I have put it on.
Simple green is a citric acid based cleaner. It contains 1% sodium citrate and about 5% citirc acid.

This is a direct quote from DICOR:

"CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery."

I wouldn't advise using Simple Green on the roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
cabinfever

Citrus - Does Simple Green® contain any citrus products?
Simple Green does not use citrus terpenes as cleaning agents within our products. However, some of the fragrances in Simple Green products and several of the essential oil blends for Simple Green Naturals product contain tiny amounts of citrus oils as scent agents.

Water-Based Cleaners – Is Simple Green® a water-based cleaner?
Simple Green is a water-based cleaner. See "Alkaline Aqueous Solutions — General Description" for more details.

Looking at the Ph of Simple Green compared to Thetfords Rubber Roof Cleaner they are very comparable, both using surfactants as thier main cleaning agents. That being said, for the cost I think I will use the rubber roof specific cleaner.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Citrus - Does Simple Green® contain any citrus products?
Simple Green does not use citrus terpenes as cleaning agents within our products. However, some of the fragrances in Simple Green products and several of the essential oil blends for Simple Green Naturals product contain tiny amounts of citrus oils as scent agents.

Water-Based Cleaners – Is Simple Green® a water-based cleaner?
Simple Green is a water-based cleaner. See "Alkaline Aqueous Solutions — General Description" for more details.

Looking at the Ph of Simple Green compared to Thetfords Rubber Roof Cleaner they are very comparable, both using surfactants as thier main cleaning agents. That being said, for the cost I think I will use the rubber roof specific cleaner.

Whether citric acid is derived from the "essential oils of citrus fruit" or grown in the lab using the mold a. Niger, the properties of the citric acid produced are the same. DICOR recommends not using "citric based cleaners" on their product because it contains "citric acid" which breaks down the molecular bond of the EPDM roofing material. I'd recommend against using Simple Green (or any other citric acid containing product) on an EPDM roof membrane. Others may have a different opinion, users should judge for themselves whether they consider the potential damage to be inconsequential.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
ohiocougar

I didn't see anyone mention it, but I use borax on the roof. Hopefully that is okay?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocougar View Post
I didn't see anyone mention it, but I use borax on the roof. Hopefully that is okay?
Ohiocougar -

Borax is one of the recommended cleaners. I used it all the time on my Alpine roof. Would recommend the borax purchased in a box. Getting those 20 mules up on the EPDM roof looked like a real problem!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
ohiocougar

Ron,

Thought my shoulders were sore from scrubbing but it must have been the 20 mules I hauled up there
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Comptech

What is all the hype about the 303 product, and why is it sooo expensive?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote