Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Buzzlink

Bumper Mount Grill

My new Bullet 204RBS came with the bumper mount Aussie grill. Can the grill be left on the mount while traveling down the road ( folded back against the rear of course)?
Buzzlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
CCC

I wouldn't.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Kristi

We don't. We just stuff it in the carry bag & put it in the rear storage or bed of the truck then clean it up when we get home. I don't think it would stay on the bumper while traveling.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
We don't. We just stuff it in the carry bag & put it in the rear storage or bed of the truck then clean it up when we get home. I don't think it would stay on the bumper while traveling.
At least yours came with a carry bag. So did my dad's. Mine unfortunately did not. I have to use a garbage bag to cover it after we are getting ready to go.

To the op, I would not leave the grill back there while traveling, I wouldn't want it bouncing and possibly pulling off the trailer.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Buzzlink

Thanks for the Input

On my first trip out, I used the carry bag and put it away in the storage. But then I got to thinking ( sometimes dangerous) that the elaborate swing mount might be suitable for leaving the grill " ready to use". Otherwise, what's the point of the mount - a substitute picnic table? But hearing your opinions, I too, will err on the side of caution, and put it away when traveling down the road. Again, thanks for the input.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Beekeeper

Our Passport also came with the bumper mount and the Aussie Grill. To those that are actually using their grill, how do you like it? (We have a Weber Q tabletop grill that I fell in love with the first time I used it.)

I think I will eventually get around to using the Aussie grill, if for no other reason than to utilize it and see how I like the setup. In the meantime, I was curious as to what people that have experience with it think of it.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
TandE

It is a cheap grill and has a hard time getting up to temp and you have to preheat it prior to use. It cooks a little slow, that is my experience with my grill. But even with that I still use it as I am in no hurryand it gets the job done. If I do need quick I will pull out the other grill.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Buzzlink

Aussie grill is no Ducane, but ....

The Aussie grill cooked our food just fine and I will continue to use it for our travels. At home, I use a Ducane with superior results, but I think the Weber is probably a better choice than the Aussie, especially if you can rig it to use the gas port on the trailer, which I now see, is the only advantage to having the bumper mount grill. No more little green canisters.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Our Passport also came with the bumper mount and the Aussie Grill. To those that are actually using their grill, how do you like it? (We have a Weber Q tabletop grill that I fell in love with the first time I used it.)

I think I will eventually get around to using the Aussie grill, if for no other reason than to utilize it and see how I like the setup. In the meantime, I was curious as to what people that have experience with it think of it.
It's not a top of the line super grill by any means but we use it a lot & like it for what it is. We have never had a problem with it not getting hot enough. It's compact enough that it's easy to store & set up, also clean up is snap.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
wms

We have the bumper grill and love to use it! We also store it in the bag and in the storage bin while traveling, but during our stay at any campground it is always connected to the bumper and ready for use. It heats up quickly and does a great job cooking anything we have tried on it thus far.

James and Willa
2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH Grand Touring
2006 F350 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel DRW
wms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

We've used our Aussie grill a few times and it does seem to take a while to get up to temp, but as long as the lid is closed, it stays above 400F while in use. It's an OK grill, but I wouldn't buy another one once this one is unserviceable.

Some are saying they store their grill in the bag when travelling. Our grill has a "monstrosity" of a mounting kit attached to it (so it will fit the swing mount on the back of the trailer. When the mounting kit is on the grill, it won't fit the bag I got when I bought the trailer. Is there something I'm not doing or is there another type of bumper mount that can be used so the grill will fit the bag?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Beekeeper

Our Aussie grill has a tubular steel mounting bracket that the grill is attached to before attaching the assembly to the swing-out bracket in the trailer bumper. To fit the grill in the tote bag, you have to remove the grill from the tubular bracket. It's simple, just loosen the wing nuts from the brackets that hold the grill, and lift the grill off. Yeah, it's kind of a hassle, but that's the only way to fit the grill in the tote bag.

This winter, I am going to fabricate a shelf/bracket that will attach to the bumper bracket, that will hold my Weber Q grill, and allow me to operate the grill from the gas quick coupler on the trailer. I like the concept of the grill bracket and gas line on the trailer............I just rather would use my Weber grill versus the Aussie.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
Charby

New to the grill, and wonder what is spring pin on the bumper mount for? It does not do anything for the bracket, or is it for other types of grills?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I was told by the dealer that the grill swing arm is used by a number of manufacturers and that Keystone furnishes the Aussie grill/adapter mount which doesn't use the center spring lock. On mine, it simply sits there, rusting away and serves no purpose. I'd be interested to find out what other grills will fit the swing arm. Who knows, Weber may have a "plug and play" grill/adapter combination that simply replaces the Aussie setup and it may even use that center lock LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
TandE

I think we all may have different grill and bracket options. My bracket is an l shaped tubed thing and when put on the grill mount uses that spring clip to hold it in. The bracket sits on top of the mount and swings down and clips into that spring clip. I will take a picture today as I am going to storage to get a couple things.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
TandE

Here is my setup on my cougar.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Bugle Boy

No. It will bounce and the bracket will come off.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote