Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Williston324

Wired Camera Install Part 1

OK here we go. There is a five picture limit so will do this in two postings.

This is not a wired/wireless discussion. I was given a wired system as a gift - Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213

Click image for larger version

Name:	system.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	4183

The reviews for this system are mostly on the plus side and after doing this install, I agree with that.

I started first with my truck, a 2005 F250, crew, 4X4, diesel that I acquired four months ago. It was in pretty decent shape with 100,000 miles and was setup for fifth wheel towing. I replaced the FICM (ficmrepair.com) put on new 10 ply michilens, cleaned the EGR and replaced the fluids and filters.

I originally ran the wires for a top dash display but wasn't happy with that placement so used the old ashtray instead. It fits perfect with double sided industrial Velcro strips. Some may not like this lower location but it's similar to a MH setup I had in the past and for me it works.

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	4184

I started in the bed and ran the cable from the left rear corner behind the liner to the front of the bed and then down underneath using plastic wire loom where it was exposed.

Name:	truck bed.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	4188

There were lots of places underneath to tie strap it. I come up through a large rubber grommet on the drivers side floor and then behind the left kick panel and under the dash for the electrical connections. The power lead(s) are connected to one of my upfitter switches (10 amp).

Name:	monitor connections.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	4186

Whenever the unit is turned on, it has power. It is not triggered by reverse as I also use it often when driving to confirm when I have cleared traffic on either side prior to lane changes.

Before starting on the trailer wiring I, of course, tested the system to make sure my connections were all good.

I debated a bit on the location for the trailer connection and decided on locating it close to the king pin which allows the connector cable to stay in the bed. I have seen others with the connectors by the main trailer harness and then across to the the main body of the trailer and that works as well.

I started by removing the battery vent and ran the connector out through a small slit I cut in the siding at the top of the vent. From there, one end goes outside under the overhang to the pin area. This I debated again. My intention all along was to try and avoid drilling holes in the outer skin as much as possible. For the rear I had already decided on a type of pvc conduit but for the front I went with wire loom wrapped in white tape and attached with two c/clamps using two existing screws and also added tie strap base pads. For these I removed the existing double sided tape and replaced it with 3M automotive molding tape. Figured if it holds your outside molding on it will work here too.

Name:	from vent.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	4189

I made up a small bracket to hold the connector and placed it underneath behind the pin and beside the trailer wiring connection box. See this pic on the next posting.

The other end of the cable that goes to the camera I ran down inside the front storage area and put it under the plastic belly pan close to the outside frame rail. This was quite easy as there is lots of room to work and there are just a few screws to remove that allows you to tuck the wire up inside. Again, wherever it was exposed I used wire loom cover.

See next posting
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Jim Dow

Wired to Wireless

I too received a wired rearview camera as a gift; but I was wanting a wireless. So I converted the wired camera to a wireless camera. It works great.

You can see my postings in another thread.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I have the same camera system as Williston324. I installed my camera under the middle red clearance light, ran the wiring into the top kitchen cabinets, behind the microwave and down through the Keystone provided holes made at the factory for slide power wiring (12 and 120 Volt)). Under the trailer, I ran the camera wire along the gas line to the front compartment. There I went up to the top of the front compartment and routed the wiring inside the RV under the front floor enclosure and out to the pin box. There I used the coiled video cable to wrap around the 7 pin wiring plug and installed the truck wiring under the in-bed 7pin plug.

I also ran the wiring up into the cab through one of the rubber plugs in the floor of the cab and wired it to the upfitter switch #4. I still haven't completely decided on where to install the monitor. I've tried Velcro to attach it to the rear view mirror, bought a "stick" mount to use one of the cup holders in the console (we don't have an ashtray in our dash) and both have advantages and disadvantages. Ideally, I'd like to install it something like Williston324 did, but don't have the open space anywhere on the dash. The space on the dash just would block the forward view (I think).

As for operation of the Rear View Safety system, we've had ours for 3 years and it's performed flawlessly every time we've used it. We tow a boat behind the fifth wheel and the camera is mounted to monitor the boat during towing. It can easily be tilted up to view the road (or campsite) behind the trailer, but for me, it gets confusing trying to remember it's not a "mirror image" and that things are on the opposite side of what you'd see using a mirror to back up. That's my limitation, not the system !!!

For the money, the system described and pictured here is a great one and less than half the price of a comparable system at CW.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Williston324

Mirror image

John

If it's the same monitor, it has a mirror on/off option in the menu??
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williston324 View Post
John

If it's the same monitor, it has a mirror on/off option in the menu??
Yes, it has the mirror image option in the video menu. When I tried it, it even confused me more LOL Yes, I know..... I can't chew gum and walk most days.... I'm sure with practice, I'd be able to use it to back up, but then what would my DW do while I'm getting into the campsites????? LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote