Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
pdlpwr

Systems Monitor

Hello all...standby for the total NOOB question.

I am unclear on how the systems monitor works on my RV. When we did the walk-thru during pick up, the guy who did it just briefly mentioned it but didn't cover it in depth. After I got home, I realized I didn't clearly understand it (and I don't think he did either, looking back on it).

I'm pretty sure I understand that when I press the corresponding button, it tells me the condition of that tank. Mine has buttons for Galley, Grey, Black, Fresh and Battery.

I know what grey and black is, but what is galley? And when I hold down "fresh" all of the lights light up. To me, that means it's full, but we have not used the thing yet (maiden voyage this weekend). There should be little, if any water in the fresh holding tank.

I checked the KIB website, but no instructions. Can someone give me a quick and dirty lesson on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kib(2).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	268  
pdlpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Ruffus

Smile Monitor

Good morning, the Galley is the seperate tank that holds the grey water from your kitchen, Galley is an old Maritime term used for kitchen. When the lights are all lit it means that the system is full and in the case of the batteries it means they are fully charged. Don't put to much faith in these lights because things like debry or slime or other things can hang up and give you a false reading. When the water in the shower or the kitchen sink won't drain it's full. Use them as a help to let yourself know that they may need dumped. Happy motoring.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlpwr View Post
And when I hold down "fresh" all of the lights light up. To me, that means it's full, but we have not used the thing yet (maiden voyage this weekend). There should be little, if any water in the fresh holding tank.
Your dealer may have filled the fresh water tank to test for leaks in plumbing and to demonstrate the use of pump, toilet and other fixtures. Under the trailer you will find two low point drains and one fresh-water drain. They are short lengths of PEX tubing with caps protruding about 6" . Removing the cap from the tube that is by itself will drain the fresh tank. Hope this helps, Hank ....... and welcome to the forum.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
pdlpwr

Awesome, guys.....thanks so much for the info. Now I know why I have two grey water release valves. I asked the guy doing the walkthru what smaller second valve was and he said "um, the shower, I think...". I'm thinking galley now.

And they did tell me about the drains, and I remember two low-point drains, and one by itself. All makes sense now.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
rjsurfer

Chances are the shower and rear sink use an 1 1/2" valve fitting and the galley and waste use a 3" valve.

The best advise to follow is NEVER take the readings as gospel as others have said, crap gets on the sending units and screws up the readings. I'll go to my camper in the spring and I know everything has been drained and yet the black tank says 3/4's full and the galley is 1/2 full, yea right

You know when the black tank is getting close to full when the sound of a flush changes from a whoosh to a plunk. When the shower fills up with dirty water it's time to dump the grey water. Rules to live by.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
pdlpwr

Monitor

Guys...thanks for all the help. I looked at my trailer later today...the fresh water tank was completely full. Glad I didn't haul that full tank of water with me to my full-hook up RV park next week! I now understand the PEX tubing drain valves, tanks, monitor system, etc.

And I'll keep and ear out for the "plunk vs. the whoosh."

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
tlittle2

My rule of thumb has always been "When it starts to splash my junk, then it's time to pull the dump."
tlittle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
pdlpwr

Haha...Thanks! We are currently on our maiden voyage right now, and having a great time. I've learned alot about our trailer and have most of it figured out now. It towed great, backed great, and all is well.

I need to go pour a glass of wine now and get the fire started...

Thanks!