Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
hwhtech

Exclamation Possible Passport Roof Seal Recall

Was informed today that there may be a recall on the roof seals on some Passports. Recall has to do with the "Dicor" sealant around the vents, ant, and front and rear seals connecting the front and rear caps. If you see the sealant looking like cottage cheese you may be part of the recall, if its smooth or looks like cool whip your OK. Off work tommorrow but will find out more info on this hopefully Sat if not Mon morning.
hwhtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhtech View Post
Was informed today that there may be a recall on the roof seals on some Passports. Recall has to do with the "Dicor" sealant around the vents, ant, and front and rear seals connecting the front and rear caps. If you see the sealant looking like cottage cheese you may be part of the recall, if its smooth or looks like cool whip your OK. Off work tommorrow but will find out more info on this hopefully Sat if not Mon morning.
Please let us know what you find out.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
hwhtech

There was a bad batch of the roof sealent "Dicor" used on some Passports spent 4 hrs today scraping and peeling the old cottage cheese looking Dicor today and layed down new sealant. Soon as i get a sheet for the effected VINS ill post it on here. Passport owners should be getting a recall sheet in the mail.

Also if you decide to climb on your roof look at the sealant and if it looks like cottage cheese ask your service advisor if he knows anything and they should be able to find out for you. Happy camping and Merry Christmas to all.
hwhtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
wick1027

any new info

did you hear anything new abou this.
wick1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
theradicalranch

Hello, I am having similar problems with our 2008 Keystone Passport's roof. I was wondering if you had recieved new information? I was also wondering if you had recieved a recall notification about the "Dicor" sealant? If we do not recieve, said letter, what should be done to correct the issue; or how may we get a recall letter? Thank You
theradicalranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theradicalranch View Post
Hello, I am having similar problems with our 2008 Keystone Passport's roof. I was wondering if you had recieved new information? I was also wondering if you had recieved a recall notification about the "Dicor" sealant? If we do not recieve, said letter, what should be done to correct the issue; or how may we get a recall letter? Thank You
Go to the Keystone website : http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

There is no "roof recall" listed for the Passport line.

Your RV is a 2008 model, that's 7 years old, (the 2014's are on the dealer lots). The owner's manual states the following:

Roof Seams and/or Joints
Roof sealants will deteriorate which can lead to leaks. Deterioration can be accelerated in heavy sun, changes in climates (expansion/contraction with aggressive temperature change), and cold climates. Once the unit leaves our manufacturing facilities, we can no longer maintain the sealants, that becomes your responsibility. We hope you take this seriously because it can help prevent a very frustrating situation that can be very expensive to remedy (damage from water leaks). Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of silicone product on the rubber roof material.
If there any doubt in your mind in performing this maintenance, please contract with your local dealer to have it done. Please refer to the manufacturer instructions supplied with the unit for care and operation and/or
www.dicor.com.

In an RV model as old as yours, I'd doubt very seriously if Keystone would even consider repairing your roof. If you have damaged or deteriorated sealant, it should have been repaired when it was discovered (during the frequent inspections). If there are any leaks, I would recommend getting the RV under cover until repairs can be made. If you can't get it under cover, then at least put a tarp over the roof to protect it from rain until you can repair the leaks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Inherentwired1

I've only had my "new" trailer for a year and have already had to re-do the dicor caulk...They don't make them like they used to...
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I store my RV indoors during the winter, there's no chance for any leaks to damage the interior, but even with this, I always go over the roof very carefully in the fall during winterization. Anything that even looks like it might be questionable gets cleaned, prepped and a new bead of self-leveling DICOR gets applied.

During the 4 years that I've had my "new" RV, I've applied fresh sealant to areas that look "iffy" at least 6 or 8 times. On the new one, when we take delivery, after parking it at the house, even before I start checking out the bottom side, I'll be on the roof with my cleaning supplies and a fresh tube of DICOR self-leveling sealant.

You're right, nothing is "quite like it used to be" so buyer beware !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote