Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
yorkielover

Unhappy Cougar slide outs

I have a 2010 Cougar in March 2010. I have take 3 trips with this 5th wheel unit. To date 2 of the 3 slide out motor and gear slides have had to be replaced. When asked about the 3rd slide out was told there is a problem with these and if it breaks while in warranty then it will be covered. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? This is the 4th camper we have had and the first Keystone as well as the first unit we have had these problems.
yorkielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
66ken

Our Cougar 327RES was built in Feb 2010. Had a problem that I had to adjust the stop can so I could get a slide out, but have had no other problems. Made at least a dozen trips.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
rwm1313

do they come in and not go out?

If this is the case then there is an adjustment on the stop that will get them out but where the stop meets the frame is the issue and usually material needs to be added.
The stop I call the "BELL" because thats what it looks like and is located under slide next to one of the rack rails that comes out of frame. This can be loosened to get slide out in a pinch but should be put back after slide is opened and let dealer do fix to frame.
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
antiqfreq

Welcome to the forum !

I have 2 slides on my Cougar fifth wheel but have never had a problem. We've owned it about three years now.

Jo/
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
66ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1313 View Post
If this is the case then there is an adjustment on the stop that will get them out but where the stop meets the frame is the issue and usually material needs to be added.
The stop I call the "BELL" because thats what it looks like and is located under slide next to one of the rack rails that comes out of frame. This can be loosened to get slide out in a pinch but should be put back after slide is opened and let dealer do fix to frame.
If I understand you correctly, the frame needs to be plated so it doesn't flex. Is this correct?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
rwm1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ken View Post
If I understand you correctly, the frame needs to be plated so it doesn't flex. Is this correct?
what I have found is the ram doesnt come out in the center of the hole in the frame so somtimes the bell will get calked and jammed in this hole. So marerial added would make sure the "BELL" hits the frame flush not causing a jam and engaging the clutch on drive motor. your dealer if he is any good should know this fix, I have seen it on and off for many years. Good Luck
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote