Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Thumbs up Redwood by Thor

Back in February at the Trade-X RV show, we had a chance to take a look at Thor's Redwood. This is a new product and apparently being produced by Thor in small quantities as a "high-end" RV. Our short walk through seemed to verify that this new model is definitely a very classy and well-made unit.

I can't recall the length or the price but it certainly wasn't an entry-level model.

There is one in the RV campground that we are staying at in Hermiston, OR and it does look very smart. Triple slides and nicely finished on the outside. I suppose there isn't much chance of seeing the inside but I'd sure like to take another look at the interior and talk to the owner.

Isn't it strange how, when you look at something, you get the sense that it is a cut above the rest? The Redwood is just that.

Anyone else had the chance to see one up close and personal?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
KanTC

If memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always ), one of our members 'mhs4771' now owns a Redwood.

Very nice! We saw one when they first arrived on dealer lots, but have only seen them in RV Parks (from a distance) since then.
Liked the Blackwood line too, but they apparently already decided to drop it from production.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Ron

Looked at them on line and looks like a very nice unit, would like to see one first hand. Festus we are across and down the river from you at the moment...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
mhs4771

Memory does serve right. We've had our RW for a year now and have lived in it all but 99 days. We've had some issues, but nothing that required us to return to a service center. We moved up from a 2010 Montana 2955RL (2 slides) to the RW 36RL (3 slides). Don't be fooled by that 36 number, we're just over 40' nose to tail. We loved the Montana, but living almost full time (approx 3/4 time) we wanted more room and creature comforts. You are correct they are not an entry level unit, MSRPs are $100K plus, but with the typical 25% to 30% off put them just a little over what the new Montanas are selling for. They offer some good options that really should be standard, like the GY G614, OEM tires are the "E" Marathons but the gross on our unit is 16.5K, so they really need a Dually to handle them. We've given many tours of our RW and love showing it off. They use much more "Real wood" in the cabinets vs the laminated particle board.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
geo

Redwood and Carriage

Yes, the Redwood is a very nice RV.

When Carriage Inc. shut down its operations at the end of 2011, Thor Indusustries' Redwood purchased the Carriage name and brands at auction. Carriage was known for its luxury high-end fifth wheels, and Redwood announced it would carry on that tradition. In February of this year, Redwood hired Dan Tauer away from DRV to head up the rebuilding of the Carriage line within the Redwood umbrella.

I know Dan will do a great job for Redwood and Carriage. He did a great job at DRV and help it through some difficult times. I would bet that the new Carriage line will catch the eye of those looking for high-end, well-built fifth wheels.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Rusty

I would never ever again own a Thor, our Jazz gave us problems 85% of the time........including the suspension collapsing, the frame work around the bedroom slide detaching itself from the main frame, wiring issues, plumbing issues, to name a few problems.

There were a lot more issues but that is the hi-lite version..............

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I would never ever again own a Thor, our Jazz gave us problems 85% of the time........including the suspension collapsing, the frame work around the bedroom slide detaching itself from the main frame, wiring issues, plumbing issues, to name a few problems.

There were a lot more issues but that is the hi-lite version..............
Rusty -

It's pretty difficult to get away from Thor Industries in the RV world. True, in the motorized coach, they are a minor player with only the Thor Motor Coach. But in the towable RV world, Thor Industries is comprised of Airstream, Breckenridge, Crossroads, Dutchmen, Keystone, Heartland, and Redwood (and under that brand, Carriage). There are stories of problems with every brand, as well as stories of completely satisfied customers.

http://www.thorindustries.com/home/

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Rusty

I understand that, I get that they have a far ranging swath in the RV world.

I am really hoping that the next phase in our RV lives will be a much better experience.

I just found that a line that is supposed to be "High end" the craftsmanship was lacking. Also for a 12,000-13,000 lb trailer to have such spindly underpinnings is asking for problems.

I am hoping that the only problem we had was with the Thor California line!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I understand that, I get that they have a far ranging swath in the RV world.

I am really hoping that the next phase in our RV lives will be a much better experience.

I just found that a line that is supposed to be "High end" the craftsmanship was lacking. Also for a 12,000-13,000 lb trailer to have such spindly underpinnings is asking for problems.

I am hoping that the only problem we had was with the Thor California line!
Rusty, Just so there's no misunderstanding, are you aware that your "next RV" the Cougar in your signature, is a THOR product?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Rusty

I see that now. But from what I have seen and read their track record is a lot better then Thor California.

I hope that it had a bit of it had to do with the fact that Thor has very little exposure here in Alberta, and the only Dealer that will deal with Thor warranty wise, and even then I had to wring their necks to get some joy and even then they only paid for half of the fix for the bedroom slide (which could have been a $8,000 fix and turned into a $400 fix). Something tells me that if it was a $8,000 fix that they would have run away like a scared rabbit........

Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
geo

Rusty -

I have to admit, you sparked an interest with the "Thor California". So with some simple research, I got a surprise!

From http://www.themotorhomeguide.com/rv-...ers-thor.html:

"Thor Industries became a publicly traded company in 1986, and is listed on the NYSE. Since its inception, Thor Industries has acquired many prominent RV companies. Thor now manufactures under the trade names: Aerolite, Airstream, Breckenridge, CrossRoads, Damon Motor Coach, Dutchmen, Four Winds, General Coach Canada, Keystone RV, Komfort, Mandalay, T@B Tear-Drop Trailers, Thor America, Thor Motor Coach and Thor California.

Thor California's towable recreational vehicle (TRV) models include the Jazz fifth wheel and trailer, the Sonoma trailer, the Summit fifth wheel and trailer, the Tahoe "Lighthaulers and Wide Bodies" toy haulers, Vortex toy hauler fifth wheel, and Wave fifth wheel and trailer. The Thor California model line and factory has been purchased by MVP RV in Moreno Valley, California."

Well! So I looked up MVP RV: http://www.themotorhomeguide.com/rv-...rs-mvp-rv.html and found that they were founded in 2008 and created from the purchase of Thor California:

"Towable travel trailer MVP RV models include the Coast, Summit, Tahoe (toy hauler) and Wave trailers. Fifth wheel models include the Envy (EnvY SURV), Jazz and Vortex toy hauler. MVP also builds Work Trailers for on-site offices and employee living quarters, and the Lantern Crest park model trailer."

Thought it was interesting.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Rusty -

I have to admit, you sparked an interest with the "Thor California". So with some simple research, I got a surprise!

From http://www.themotorhomeguide.com/rv-...ers-thor.html:

"Thor Industries became a publicly traded company in 1986, and is listed on the NYSE. Since its inception, Thor Industries has acquired many prominent RV companies. Thor now manufactures under the trade names: Aerolite, Airstream, Breckenridge, CrossRoads, Damon Motor Coach, Dutchmen, Four Winds, General Coach Canada, Keystone RV, Komfort, Mandalay, T@B Tear-Drop Trailers, Thor America, Thor Motor Coach and Thor California.

Thor California's towable recreational vehicle (TRV) models include the Jazz fifth wheel and trailer, the Sonoma trailer, the Summit fifth wheel and trailer, the Tahoe "Lighthaulers and Wide Bodies" toy haulers, Vortex toy hauler fifth wheel, and Wave fifth wheel and trailer. The Thor California model line and factory has been purchased by MVP RV in Moreno Valley, California."

Well! So I looked up MVP RV: http://www.themotorhomeguide.com/rv-...rs-mvp-rv.html and found that they were founded in 2008 and created from the purchase of Thor California:

"Towable travel trailer MVP RV models include the Coast, Summit, Tahoe (toy hauler) and Wave trailers. Fifth wheel models include the Envy (EnvY SURV), Jazz and Vortex toy hauler. MVP also builds Work Trailers for on-site offices and employee living quarters, and the Lantern Crest park model trailer."

Thought it was interesting.

Ron

Seems the RV business has gone the route of just about everything manufactured, many to dozens of nameplates coming from one parent company. When they do things that are good, not a problem. But if they try to cut corners or reinvent the mousetrap and it is a bad idea, many of the nameplates will have the same issues.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote