Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
labs4life

Leave fridge on???

We just upgraded to a unit with an outdoor kitchen (sprinter 311bhs). I used to keep my old unit plugged in to keep the fridge cold. Should I move the cold stuff to the 110 fridge outside and only cycle the rv fridge when camping? I know these dorm type fridges should run for a long time, but would rather buy a new one of them than an inside unit!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
michael

We use our outside kitchen Fridge for beverages that way the kids and grandkids can have a juice or water or if a guest would like a cold drink,

less in and out of the rv, and if we need more room for cold drinks the cooler with ice is our other option and somtimes haveing extra ice is a good thing.

we use the inside for food that way the door stayes closed and the inside rv fridge can keep cool and keep the foods at a steady temp.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
labs4life

I was really talking about after a trip during the camping season. I can keep it plugged in and was wondering if leaving the inside fridge running all the time would be detrimental.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
x96mnn

I have never thought about this until you just brought it up. You are a 100% right I would much rather replace the outdoor kitchen refrigerator at a cost of $150 then the inside refrigerator that cost over a $1000.

I have only had this set-up for one season and both fridges are turned on in May, turned off the day I winter prep and do the clean out. I have always operated in this fashion when I only had one fridge set-up in my old camper. Thinking about it a little would the inside fridge which for me seems to take 24hrs to get to the point where we use it burn more energy/life of the fridge with multiple turn off and ons then merely maintaining the constant temperature?

Maybe someone with more of a refrigeration or appliance back ground can chime in here.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
I have never thought about this until you just brought it up. You are a 100% right I would much rather replace the outdoor kitchen refrigerator at a cost of $150 then the inside refrigerator that cost over a $1000.

I have only had this set-up for one season and both fridges are turned on in May, turned off the day I winter prep and do the clean out. I have always operated in this fashion when I only had one fridge set-up in my old camper. Thinking about it a little would the inside fridge which for me seems to take 24hrs to get to the point where we use it burn more energy/life of the fridge with multiple turn off and ons then merely maintaining the constant temperature?

Maybe someone with more of a refrigeration or appliance back ground can chime in here.
Good post and my point. I will await, as you, the answer from someone smarter than I.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

My RV fridge (and all previous RV fridges) is on 24/7/365.

I'm not an appliance guy. And I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Tinbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
My RV fridge (and all previous RV fridges) is on 24/7/365.

I'm not an appliance guy. And I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express.
Why?? Do you full time??
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Mighty Ming

Mine is parked next to house and stays plugged in and ON 24/7. Fridge is fully stocked with adult beverages etc. makes for a great Dog House when I need a break!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender View Post
Why?? Do you full time??
No I don't. Fridge just stays stocked and ready to go. Many times, we don't plan our trips until the last minute.

If the fridges weren't designed to be used 24x7, then the full timers would have trouble
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
labs4life

Guess I never really thought of that. I don't want to shuffle stuff from inside to outside, that is for sure. Just thinking is all. I will quit doing that!! Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
x96mnn

I cannot find anything that states this is a bad or good thing 100%.

I did find one site that stated in newer fridges inconsistent or frequent changes in temperatures can cause the process that creates the cooling effect when the gas goes to liquid over time can cause the liquid to become more gel like then liquid reducing the effectiveness of a fridge. This from a chemical reaction standpoint does not make a lot of sense to me but I am no chemist.

Another site listed the start up of a fridge consumes the same amount of effort/electricity as it does to maintain a consistent average temperature over a period of a month.

For now I think I will leave mine on as the maintenance of cleaning out my inside fridge and making sure its free of moisture is more work then I'm willing to do at this point. I also think back to 90% of the things that have broken on me I recall me saying, "I wonder what happened it worked fine last time I used it". For this if I plug it in and it works it will stay on until I know I am done.

I may turn my fridge down to 2 or 3 when not in use though as I have my fridge turned up very high as I like my beverages frosty.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote