Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Flyguy

Hensley Arrow Hitch

Of all the TT hitches that I've seen, the Hensley Arrow really does look to be the nicest, it is however very pricey at about $3000. In an effort to understand how it works, I posted two videos on my homepage, to access the video, click on flyguy at the top left of this post then "visit Homepage" then look in the towing folder, then the folder on "Hensley Arrow" and finally the folder on "How it Works". There you will find the videos which are very good at explaining the hitch and also an explaination from the Hensley site, after viewing these I think you will have a good idea as to how it works. My take on it is that it projects a pivot point from the TT to the rear axle of the TV and this makes the TT act as if it was a 5th wheel while towing (pretty cool, the inventor must be German and with a 3K price I know he's German), I like it, but not enough to spend 3K just yet!(my wife is German). The only downside to it (besides the price) is that you have to buy a fixed drop down for the draw-bar whereas with the Reese type, the drop or rise is adjustable at the tow ball (I think that this is so, correct me if I'm wrong), all in all a very nice hitch. The video's are rather large files in flash format (SWF) and can take as long as 2 or 3 minutes to download, or you can right click on them and then click on "save target as" and save it to your PC.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Flyguy

I found out today that this hitch is also produced as the "Pro-Pride" hitch, here's the link to their website: http://www.propridehitch.com/3P_trai....php?item_id=1 and it's a little cheaper too.
Timbrens
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Sean Woodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I found out today that this hitch is also produced as the "Pro-Pride" hitch, here's the link to their website: http://www.propridehitch.com/3P_trai....php?item_id=1 and it's a little cheaper too.

While both hitches ARE designed by the same man, Jim Hensley, and operate through the same principle, the ProPride 3P hitch is definitely not the same hitch as the old orange design.

Improvements were made over the years to the design but the company named after Jim never would license any of the improvements.

I was the vice president of the orange company for 10 years before starting ProPride and manufacturing Jim's improved design.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Flyguy

I knew there was a connection but I didn't know all the details, sounds like there might have been a rift between all parties concerned and that happens a lot in partnerships, anyway, you have a great hitch and maybe someday I'll move up to the Pro-Pride hitch. If you have more details to share about your hitch I'm sure everyone would like to hear about it.
Timbrens
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Flyguy

Well Sean hasn't responded to my request but here's Sean's comments on the pro-pride hitch as compared to the Hensley that I found on another forum and I have posted here:

" Both the orange hitch and the 3P operate by the exact same principle. Towing down the road you wouldn't be able to tell which hitch was on the trailer. The linkage that projects the pivot point was Jim Hensley's original patent. I have licensed his new patents.

An adjustable hitch bar to match different tow vehicle and trailer tow heights. This will save the hitch owner $75-$100 in shipping charges in the future should a different offset hitch bar be needed for a new tow vehicle or trailer.

The hitch bar wedges are closer to the hitch bar tabs which moves the effective pivot point even further forward.

The hitch bar wedges and the hitch box have a greater angle to help in hitching and unhitching without the bar sticking in the hitch head. The internal hitch box redesign has proven to be a lot more forgiving in hitching and unhitching. In over 1200 hitches I have had less than 10 phone calls on the hitching issue. I had a full time guy working for me to answer these questions at the orange company.

A one piece yoke holds the hitch head square to the front of the trailer and doesn't allow pivoting on the ball. This replaces the strut bars on the orange hitch. The independent strut bars do become loose from time to time on the orange hitch and allow the trailer to sway.

The 3P hitch requires NO drilling into the frame for installation.

The weight distribution jacks sit on top of the frame rather than hang on a pin outside of the frame. This provides better leverage for the spring bars by moving the tail ends of the bars closer together and also eliminates any possibility of the pin bending.

The spring bar keeper is a disk rather than a spring loaded keeper. The disk will not wear and allow the spring bar to fall out of the bottom of the head.

The steel is pre-treated for powder coating. This will help prevent against chipping and rusting.

The control links are 3/4" thick.

The hitch box has been reinforced to eliminate warping of the top edge of the box.

The hitch warranty is for the lifetime of the purchaser and covers any repair or replacement of parts."

One comment that I would like to make is that the last of his statements would indicate to me that the lifetime warranty is non transferrable should you decide to sell the hitch.
Timbrens
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Sean Woodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Well Sean hasn't responded to my request

I must have missed your request because I certainly am not shy about responding. I'm glad you found the above.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Flyguy

With this post I will list eight "youtube" videos which describe the ProPride 3P hitch in great detail, you can see what's involved in hitching up and unhitching using this hitch and also how the hitch works. I'm not trying to advertise this hitch or any other hitch and I'm presenting this information here only to educate those who are interested in how this hitch works. The videos should be viewed in sequential order 1-8.

Video #1:

Video #2:

Video #3:

Video #4:

Video #5:

Video #6:

Video #7:

Video #8:
Timbrens
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Flyguy

In order to give "Hensley Manufacturing" equal time I have listed below all the "YouTube" videos that I could find that were not ProPride 3P based. You can view these in any order as they are not sequential. IMO the two hitches are the same except for the differences noted by Sean for the 3P hitch, Sean describes the 3P as being an improved version of the Hensley.

Video #1:

Video #2:

Video #3:

Video #4:

Video #5:
Timbrens
Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Seann
Permanent User Ban

I have the orange one and am happy with it.... even happier with the price I paid for it... I met a fellow at a Good Sam Rally who had one but had upgraded to a MH. He sold it to me for what Hensley would pay him for it on a buy back. He saved the shipping charges and I saved a huge pile of$$$$
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
MichiganMarty

My question is, Concerning the weight distribution bars, there is a pocket, or tube they slide up into, right? Is the 3P designed so the tubes are replaceable?

When I traded my Arrow in and picked up the Trailer Saver, another man was there getting his Arrow rebuilt. I was very impressed when I learned the tubes were in fact "replaceable".

For most people, that is not a concern, but the man who was getting his Arrow rebuilt, makes a living with his trailer and puts 22,000 miles a year on the trailer alone (Arrow included). Most people do not haul their camper 22,000 miles/year. If you are one of those who put that many miles on, the Hensley warranty will pay off for you if you are prone to perform the proper maintenance.
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Sean Woodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
My question is, Concerning the weight distribution bars, there is a pocket, or tube they slide up into, right? Is the 3P designed so the tubes are replaceable?

Yes, the spring bar inner bushings are replaceable on the 3P.

-
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Stargazer

I've got the ProPride on my TT and it's great. I used to have the Reese Dual Cam on our old trailer and that worked well, too, but going to a 35-footer I appreciate the extra security the ProPride gives me.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote