Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #21
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Every winter around here there's an outbreak of epidemic proportions of Chionophobia . Defined as "an intense fear of snow, is a type of phobia categorized as an environmental phobia. Environmental phobias include other weather-related phobias like the fear of thunderstorms (astraphobia) and the fear of wind (ancraophobia)."

Now why this phobia drives people to buy mass quantaties of bread, milk, and toilet paper as far as I know has never been investigared. For years the 4 television stations in Baltimore would pre-emt all programming and hold an all day "snow show". There would be one poor SOB who's job was to read the list of school delays and closings. That would take a good 30 minutes to go thru the list of every school, daycare, state and federal offices etc. DW and I still think of the "snow show" when they predict winter precipitation.
Had the same in GA when we lived in Gwinnett County there in the mid 1980's. DW would be out for regular shopping trip and saw ppl with shopping carts overflowing with milk and bread. Whatever it was, ice or snow, would be gone in 1 day but didn't matter. How much French Toast can a family eat? Regular day was 45-minute drive, 3-iches of snow and I was the only car on the road and made it in 20 minutes!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #22
notanlines

Think about this: Suppose there is under-the-table money going to the weather forecaster to predict ice/snow........from the frozen pizza people?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

Well, I am ready for the blizzard of 22! The new Wen genny hums like a top and tank is topped off. Put new insulation on the water tank stand pipe. Have an incandescent bulb on in the pump shed and the heating tape for the stand pipe seems to be working. Went up to the RV and blew out all the water lines with the help of the missus and put some antifreeze in the P traps.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, I am ready for the blizzard of 22! The new Wen genny hums like a top and tank is topped off. Put new insulation on the water tank stand pipe. Have an incandescent bulb on in the pump shed and the heating tape for the stand pipe seems to be working. Went up to the RV and blew out all the water lines with the help of the missus and put some antifreeze in the P traps.
Do you have any "personal antifreeze "?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Nope - am a teetotaler. Am a glutton so I guess one vice is enough.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Uh oh, I gotta go...
....to the liquor store.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #27
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have often wondered if the people at these airports have never expected heavy snow? You freaking live and work in the north and a foot of snow is a big deal? Just who is in charge of snow removal at the Buffalo airport? This person needs to do a video on how REAL snow removal is handled and all the airport maintenance supervisors in snow cities should be forced to see how it is done. LHM, how can 6 inches of snow cancel flights in New York state ANYWHERE? I understand how this happens in Texas. But the east coast? Give me a break!
As someone who makes his living in the pointy end of these things, there are many more chess pieces in play here than many realize. It isn’t just the amount of snow, but prevailing visibility, runway conditions, staffing of deice facilities, equipment minimums, etc. Deicing fluid is running about $29 a gallon at ssome places, and comes out of a 1.25” nozzle at 40 psi. Delays impact crews duty times and force cancelations of a flight, now with the aircraft out of place for the next leg, etc etc.
For the record, I consider snow removal at BUF, ROC, SYR and ALB some of the best in the buisness, which is good as they are the snowiest places in the country.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
As someone who makes his living in the pointy end of these things, there are many more chess pieces in play here than many realize. It isn’t just the amount of snow, but prevailing visibility, runway conditions, staffing of deice facilities, equipment minimums, etc. Deicing fluid is running about $29 a gallon at ssome places, and comes out of a 1.25” nozzle at 40 psi. Delays impact crews duty times and force cancelations of a flight, now with the aircraft out of place for the next leg, etc etc.
For the record, I consider snow removal at BUF, ROC, SYR and ALB some of the best in the buisness, which is good as they are the snowiest places in the country.
Would agree on the snow removal prowess in the region. Our oldest daughter went to college in Buffalo for 4 years (Damien College in Amherst, NY) and have flow in and driven up there a lot. You know your in the snow belt when the fire hydrants have long olrange poles attached so they can be found under the snow.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #29
AZWANDERERS

Eastern US Pounded

I grew up in Niagara Falls, NY. Guess what - it's winter and it gets cold and snows. Big storms can overwhelm snow removing operations or it's coming down to quick to handle it all. Sounds just like the current weather prognosticators on the news - every weather event is a disaster in the making whether routine or not. Now I live in Chandler and these same folks make a big deal of the heat and summer dust storms - duh, surprise - happens regularly every year.
AZWANDERERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #30
KarenK

We live in a lake effect area near Lake Michigan. The only time the county can't keep up is during long periods of constant snowfall and wind. In the 30 years we've lived here we've become used to our rural road getting one plow swipe one the 2nd day during blizzard weather. Once it was on the 3rd day.

Husband leaves for work at 4 am when he has to plow the lot at our business before he opens. Sometimes he plows his way to the next road with the plow half down. The next road in next to large corn fields, snowdrifts are common. Can be a stand off when there is only 2 truck tracks in the drifts...who's going to back up far enough to a spot where you dare get out of the tracks to get around each other. The last couple of years the worst storms have been south and east of west MI. Less to shovel off the walks here.

Scariest winter drive ever was heading north out of Birmingham AL., with less than an inch of ice and snow on the highway. We kept to the far right lane and watched the bumper cars. Traffic started and crashed 3 times before we were able to get clear of the mess. Think it right after he bought the Duramax.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #31
Mike 22rbs

We are feeling it down here in Jacksonville, FL. too!
It got down to 42 last night, and I had to put on a long sleeve shirt today.
It's 59 outside right now and my feet are getting cold standing at the grill, grilling baby back ribs. Lol
Old 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #32
Scttw

LMAO - you Floridians got it tough
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #33
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
LMAO - you Floridians got it tough
I know right.

Weather news guy said this cold weather might stick around for at least another week.
Don't you hate smart a$#÷:&. Haha
Old 01-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #34
Scttw

Mike I love smart A$$$'s so don't worry about it.

On the weekend I was camping and on Friday it hit -37C. Keeping in mind that at -40C -40F crosses, so they are the same. Imagine grilling in those temps with your Flip-flops on
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #35
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Mike I love smart A$$$'s so don't worry about it.

On the weekend I was camping and on Friday it hit -37C. Keeping in mind that at -40C -40F crosses, so they are the same. Imagine grilling in those temps with your Flip-flops on
i think Canadians are one real tough bunch of folks. Was in Calgary one February when it was -40. Folks were out and about like it was any other day. They even had some kind of parade with the Chinese Dragons. Had to laugh at myself when i found out the "parking meters" were plugs for block heaters.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

When I worked in private industry in the IT field a few years back (OK almost 20), my company sent me up to one of the companies in Minnesota we had some sort of relationship with. In February! I got a rental car and parked it once I got to the motel where they put me up and never drove it again till I returned it. The roads had snow on them and I was petrified and couldn't imagine crashing that car. I walked. Had a Texas winter jacket and froze. The locals said they were having a mild winter. I can't imagine living somewhere it gets that cold or snows.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
When I worked in private industry in the IT field a few years back (OK almost 20), my company sent me up to one of the companies in Minnesota we had some sort of relationship with. In February! I got a rental car and parked it once I got to the motel where they put me up and never drove it again till I returned. The roads had snow on them and I was petrified and couldn't imagine crashing that car. I walked. Had a Texas winter jacket and froze. The locals said they were having a mild winter. I can't imagine living somewhere it gets that cold or snows.
When I was working I rented more cars than I can remember. I wish I had all the phone chargers I left behind in them. I loved the Hertz Gold rentals. I would look for my name on the board and find my car location, and the car would be running with the a/c or heater on, the trunk open, and the paperwork setting on the dash. Ahhh, those were the days......