Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Cibol

Leak between the awning and the exterior side wall

Hi - we are loving our "new to us" 2020 178LHS but have an annoying issue (that could develop into something worse I fear!) We have some "drips" coming down the outside of the trailer under the awning - along the wall where the awning is mounted. Two of them are directly over the dining table window. Before I send DH up on the roof, is there some form of sealant that is used to seal the awning rail to the trailer? - if so what do we need to use to fix any gaps?
Thanks!
Cibol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are the "drips" are truly from the awning or from the awning rail ???

I'd suspect they are "from the awning rail" and are caused by the wind "pushing/pulling on the awning" and as it billows, it "snaps the awning rail, pulling the screws out and causing a separation between the aluminum awning rail and the trailer skin"... Then, when it rains, water flows under the awning rail and down the trailer sidewall.

The other "common leak" is the "gimp" (rope that slides into the awning rail). The awning fabric gets worn along the gimp. Once it loses its water resistance, the awning fabric begins to allow water to penetrate through the fabric and "drip down the trailer sidewall"....

So, first, carefully inspect your awning fabric for any scrapes/scratches/worn areas along the edge closest to the trailer awning rail. The easiest way to do that is to extend the awning about 1 foot, use a ladder and "get up close and personal" with the awning fabric in that area. Check both the top and bottom of the awning fabric.

While there, also check the awning rail attachment along the trailer skin. If you see any sealant (butyl putty tape) that is cracked, separated or damaged, then the awning rail needs to be reattached, secured and resealed.

You'll probably find both issues on an "older trailer" and depending on the "extreme care or lack of care" by the previous owners, the problems may be slight, or extreme.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Don’t forget about the seam when they use 2 rails butted up against each other.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
Cibol

Thanks - forgot to say this is a 2020 barely used trailer... we also suspect the awning rail - the awning looks brand new and completely intact. Drips occur in both open and closed awning positions. DH did some water pouring experiments and the drip seems to be coming from the area where the LED lights are attached under the awning. Pouring water into the channel above where the awning "string" is fed in yielded no leaks so it seems to be below that point when the channel overflows in heavier rains.
Cibol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Don’t forget about the seam when they use 2 rails butted up against each other.
How do you deal with this seam? I think I have this exact problem where the seam is. Though its possible in another spot. I would like to fix myself, since the originating dealer is 3 1/2 hours or so away.

Can it just be caulked over that area with some sikaflex or something?
Old 08-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
How do you deal with this seam? I think I have this exact problem where the seam is. Though its possible in another spot. I would like to fix myself, since the originating dealer is 3 1/2 hours or so away.

Can it just be caulked over that area with some sikaflex or something?
That’s what we do.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:16 AM   #7
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That’s what we do.
I was about to order a tube off Amazon…but they have so many types. What “number” sikaflex would you recommend??
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #8
{tpc}

Quote:
I was about to order a tube off Amazon…but they have so many types. What “number” sikaflex would you recommend??
Anyone have an idea?
Old 09-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Anyone have an idea?
Not trying to be a "smartass" but if the sealant touches the TPO roof membrane it needs to be either DICOR low voc non-sag or Alpha Systems roofing sealant.

If you're applying the sealant to the underside of the rain gutter/awning rail (to seal the gap between a butt joint in the metal, then chewing gum would work as would any sealant that sticks to painted aluminum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not trying to be a "smartass" but if the sealant touches the TPO roof membrane it needs to be either DICOR low voc non-sag or Alpha Systems roofing sealant.

If you're applying the sealant to the underside of the rain gutter/awning rail (to seal the gap between a butt joint in the metal, then chewing gum would work as would any sealant that sticks to painted aluminum.

Thanks for the response. Sorry to be a bother.

Tags
awning, leak