Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Elmobile

Roof seal repair...

Recently acquired a 2016 248RKS. We really like it and now waiting for my wife to be done with tax season so she can take a few days off for our maiden trip!
In the mean time I am getting to know my trailer. Found a crack in the rear roof seal in the driver corner. Called the dealer and we have an appointment on July 19th to have it fix. They ask me to cover the crack with painter tape in the mean time nothing too strong as to not damage the seal any further when removing the temporary tape. I know they are just going to add 2" of Dicor on the top of the existing seal. There is already 2 or 3 layers... How many can you put there...
That is when I found on Key Stone Facebook group, this fellow suggesting to cover the all seal front and rear with Eterna Bond tape (4" wide). See attached picture.
Would that be an appropriate way to fix long term?
Most of the seals are original and I feel I need to do something to "update" them before this winter. No sign of water peneration at ALL and I would like to keep it this way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal Eterna.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	34542  
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Using eternabond is a good way to insure any repairs in the future will require replacing the roof. If you handy, I would get 2 tubes of self leveling Dicor, remove as much of the old as you can and lay down new. I bet the dealer is looking at 2-3 hours labor at $100+ per hour. Dicor is like $17.00 a tube, you apply with any caulking gun. I say DIY.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Elmobile

The trailer is still under a 90 days warranty so I don't expect to have to pay anything... But now that you mention it, I will make sure that it is the case
No way I pay them for something I can do myself!!!
And thanks for the warning on the use of the Eternabond tape. Where would be the proper use for it? I read somewhere to have a roll in my repair kit.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you hit a tree and tear the membrane. Forest River uses it at the factory to seal vents, skylights and such. Makes it a real PITA to change out a cracked skylight or change a vent that was non powered to a powered one. Walk a month in my shoes and you will develop the same feelings for it as I have.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

To me throwing eternabond tape on every cualk joint is like welding your trunk lid because the gasket needs replacement. Yup, stopped the leak!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Eternabond is "eterna", not meant for seams where there may be a later need for access. It is for applications you don't ever want to have to re enter; roof seams is not one of them. Dicor removes fairly easily and is easy and cheap to replace.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:25 AM   #7
machz

Serious question as I'm trying to learn. When would I want to access those areas in the future ? I was seriously thinking about sealing all seams with eternabond so I won't have to re-seal every couple of years.

If the tape holds that well you would think it would be a good thing to use.

Thanks for the information.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 AM   #8
Elmobile

Thank you for all the comments. The only seams I was considering are the front and rear ones. In my view the only reason to remove the Eternabond tape in those locations would be to replace the membrane anyway...
All other locations have the original Dicor beads. They all look good which why I want to make sure they stay this way I will use Dicor for that part.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:39 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To me throwing eternabond tape on every cualk joint is like welding your trunk lid because the gasket needs replacement. Yup, stopped the leak!

I am impressed Marshall.... finally got an analogy that actually made sense! Vast improvement bhwhahahahahah
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:41 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by machz View Post
Serious question as I'm trying to learn. When would I want to access those areas in the future ? I was seriously thinking about sealing all seams with eternabond so I won't have to re-seal every couple of years.

If the tape holds that well you would think it would be a good thing to use.

Thanks for the information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmobile View Post
Thank you for all the comments. The only seams I was considering are the front and rear ones. In my view the only reason to remove the Eternabond tape in those locations would be to replace the membrane anyway...
All other locations have the original Dicor beads. They all look good which why I want to make sure they stay this way I will use Dicor for that part.
If the screws start backing out on the transition strips, you’ll have no easy way to access them to tighten them back up. You could slice the eternabond, tithes the screw(s) and then put another layer of tape on I suppose. It’s much easier to remove the Dicor, fix and apply new Dicor.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am impressed Marshall.... finally got an analogy that actually made sense! Vast improvement bhwhahahahahah
I'm glad you found one that you can understand!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof